UKC

north wales guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerdave13 28 Jul 2008
i suppose it's gear.

I'm finally off to somewhere other than tremadog in the near (ish for me) future.

I've got a rendevouz to aim for at 1pm sat on the summit of snowdon and was wondering if doing no 1 of the below would be possible? Or am i asking for a very early start?

http://new.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=435

furthermore NW rock - bit expensive innit? Is that the best to go with. Considering i've not actually got a single guide to north wales would it be my best bet for 'future ready protection'? I'm not sure how i've managed this as yet but hey i'm looking to rectify it now.

OOOR

alternatively - since i've mostly been tremadog or molwyns and not done a lot snowdon (other than walking/scrambling) would there be a better suggestion on the west side that could bring me+mate out near the top? I seem to remember a suitable cliff that brings you up just south of the summit.

and for once the search feature didn't help all that much... (either that or i'm looking for the wrong thing).

Help!
 Monk 28 Jul 2008
In reply to gingerdave13:

NW rock isn't that expensive really when you consider it covers a bit of everything.

As for your plan - are you climbing pretty fast at the moment? I reckon I lead and bring the second up an average VS pitch at about 45 minutes... the enchainment you suggest would take.... a very long time. It's 24 pitches! Admittedly the severe and VD sections shouldn't take too long.
OP gingerdave13 28 Jul 2008
In reply to Monk: hey monk. (how's tricks)

aye but jack of all and master of none? Also isn't it a bit large for cragging?

hmmmmm, i'm seeing the problem and nevermind the walks between crags too eh? Perhaps moving together especially on the Severes could work ok. But would still be a dammed long day..

hmmm, plan one out of window then. (perhaps the sunday option)
 Monk 28 Jul 2008

There's definitely some easier VDiff enchainments up that side of the mountain that would be good and a lot quicker. Don did some (and almost got benighted...) back in November.

As for the book - I agree it is pretty big to carry (and I always tend to carry the definitives instead if I have them) but buying all the definitives would cost a fortune.
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to gingerdave13)
>
> There's definitely some easier VDiff enchainments up that side of the mountain that would be good and a lot quicker. Don did some (and almost got benighted...) back in November.

when doesn't he?

hmm, still might be worth a perusal as it'd be grand to climb to the summit to meet the guys who are planning on walking.. Also lets face it mountain cragging is gonna be more fun than the dreaded peak..

mind you, might have to have a peek at some classics....... you done Centograph corner yet???
In reply to gingerdave13: that would be cenotaph corner.. not sure where my brain's at but obviously not here!
Anglesey Pete 28 Jul 2008
In reply to gingerdave13: Is Paul Williams rock climbing in Snowdonia out of print?
In reply to Anglesey Pete: not that i'm aware.. i've seen it online a couple of places.

why worth a punt in comparison to NW rock?
Anglesey Pete 28 Jul 2008
In reply to gingerdave13: My mate hasn't managed to tick it all yet, and he's been trying for 20+ years!

Lot's of great routes, some in popular spots, others a bit more off the beaten track.

Should be relatively cheap, I'd have thought..
 Monk 28 Jul 2008

Brilliant! Nope, not done it yet. In fact haven't done much at all in Wales recently apart from some very wet easy routes.

I don't know what to suggest about books though - the definitive is due to be replaced soon, so it's not a good time to buy one. Maybe advertise on here and see if someone wants to sell an old copy?

If you are going to buy a select guide though, the NW rock is pretty good. The photodiagrams of Tremadog are notably excellent but the quality is high throughout.
In reply to Monk: not that i'm feeling particularly stong at the mo, but always worth a gander eh?

hmmmmm, i think i was holding out for the NW rock one last time so didn't get t'other one but if there's a new new one i'm going to forever be waiting for a new guide only to think it's too much eh?

ooooh actually will have a look to see if they cover the molwyns as that's generally a fav of the old club so'd be good to have..
In reply to gingerdave13: alright how do you spell the molwyns?

i can't bloomin find it in the search... i'm pretty sure it had it's own guide (uni library) but not sure if it's contained in anything newer...
 sutty 28 Jul 2008

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Welsh_Climbing_Guide_Books_...

Just added it to your other thread.

For your day on Snowdon how about going up the Clogwyn y Person ridge via a route then it is just walking the rest of the way, making it a short day.
In reply to sutty: cheers sutty - it's what i was looking at going hmmm, which to buy.

was kinda looking for a bit of a taxing climb - is that a grade 3 scramble?
In reply to gingerdave13: shoot gotta dash - but will pick up tomorrow as would like to get some ideas/maps out etc in advance..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...