UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Northern Rock - WIRED Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 15 Mar 2022

After 6 years of work by a team of over 100 dedicated local volunteers, the long-awaited Northern Rock is here! 608 pages filled to bursting with the best trad, sport and bouldering that Yorkshire Grit, Yorkshire Limestone, Northumberland, Lancashire and the North York Moors have to offer.

Read more

Will Hunt 16 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hello, UKC! If anybody has any questions about the book, Wired, or about guidebooks and the making of them in general then fire away! (I'm the editor of the book, btw).

Will Hunt 30 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

A little bump to say the book is due back from the printer on Friday this week (1st April) so there are just a few more days of the pre-order 15% discount. Thanks to all those who have ordered already!

galpinos 30 Mar 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

Excited to get a copy in my hands Will. Looks like you and your team have done an amazing job.

ebdon 30 Mar 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

How does the coverage compare to rockfax? Is there much difference? 

Will Hunt 30 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks Nick! Hope you enjoy it!

Will Hunt 30 Mar 2022
In reply to ebdon:

Hi ebdon,

Northern Rock isn't really directly comparable with one Rockfax guide, it's fairly unique in bringing together these different areas into one book. If you have a look at the contents page (in the Product News article itself) you can see the full list of crags that Northern Rock includes. Or you can take a look at the crags on a map here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/books/northern_rock-2423

You'll see that there's some really cool places like Howlerhirst that aren't covered elsewhere but looking at the list of crags doesn't tell the full story. For example, Northern Rock gives really excellent coverage of the world-class bouldering at places like Widdop, Brimham, and Earl which aren't in print in any other select guide.

Hope that answers your question!

ebdon 30 Mar 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

It does, thanks I'm just gathering a justification to my wife for another guidebook!

Will Hunt 30 Mar 2022
In reply to ebdon:

I can relate! Tell her I made you do it.

Moacs 18 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hi

When are these going out please?  I paid 27/3 and heard nothing...

Graeme Hammond 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Word on the street is that the spine width for the front cover wasn't correct, so there has been a slight delay as this has had to be rectified.

Moacs 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Thanks!  No worries then

Will Hunt 25 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hi Moacs, thanks for your support!

Sorry for the late response - I've been on holiday/in the Lakes for the last 10 days.

Yes, there was an issue with the covers - the printer looked at the page count and paper weight and specified a spine of 28mm. However, once everything was printed they discovered that this was a few millimeters too narrow, so they've had to reprint the covers.

The books are due to arrive at the distributor today. There's a QA process to go through and the books should start to go out later this week. Please bear with us while this happens as there are a lot of pre-orders to despatch!

Will Hunt 25 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC Gear:

Also, with the books arriving at the distributor today this will be the last day for pre-orders. The price will go up to RRP tomorrow (£36.95) so get your skates on if you're interested in buying!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...