UKC

Phantom 6000 vs G2 SM boot longevity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WillRawlinson 01 Jul 2019

Looking at replacing my old Scarpa Omegas with either the Scarpa Phantom 6000 or the La Sportiva G2SM. If anybody could give me their impressions of how quickly either boot wears out this would be fantastic. I am slightly unnerved by old stories of the soles of the Phantom line wearing out excessively quickly, but have always worn Scarpa, so am pondering my choices...

Post edited at 13:27
In reply to WillRawlinson:

i wouldn't worry about wearing down the soles of the phantoms in the kind of condition you would expect to use them? make sure check they both fit first. Also i think scarpa is updating the whole phantom line fairly soon

JSTaylor 02 Jul 2019

My Phantom 6000s experienced significant wear on the front of the soles in one three week trip.  Have about another three weeks in them before they need re-soled.  If you are wearing them with crampons on snow no problem, but moraines will hammer them very quickly.  Compared to my Omegas they are very poor value for money.  That said... very warm, light and good to climb in... just need a harder wearing sole and they would be excellent!  G2SMs just did not fit my feet. I think what ever fits you best between these two is the way to go.

connor 02 Jul 2019

On my third set of g2sm boots. Love them but the zipper keeps breaking.

OP WillRawlinson 03 Jul 2019
In reply to JSTaylor:

Thank you all, think I'll try some La Sportivas given your reviews and only submit to inevitable resoling if they are as narrow as their reputation suggests

TobyA 03 Jul 2019
In reply to connor:

> On my third set of g2sm boots. Love them but the zipper keeps breaking.

That's pretty poor. They really don't seem to be able to get any closures beside laces right do they? I remember watching the teeth fall off the zip of my mates brand new first generation Baturas and everybody seemed to break the BOA mech on the Spantiks.

Will if you want boots for cold/high conditions and you know what size you are in Sportivas, try tracking down a pair of Baruntse. Very warm - like seriously so - but otherwise do up like a pair of Nepal Extremes with some laces! Bergzeit.co.uk have pairs in some sizes for 338 quid, and you don't have to worry about them breaking on your first trip with them.

OP WillRawlinson 03 Jul 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I've always had Scarpas so think I will be heading to a store to see whether I fit Sportivas and may well take that tip. Thanks very much!

Doghouse 03 Jul 2019

What size are you looking for Will?

OP WillRawlinson 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

47 Scarpa, I'm not sure on Sportiva mind...

Doghouse 04 Jul 2019

Shame, I have some brand new size 50 Scarpas I could have let you have a at a bargain basement price

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...