UKC

Rope advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emlyn Price 05 Oct 2020

Looking to purchase some New ropes, they need to be triple rated and ideally around the 9mm mark don't fancy going to much thinner as I have dedicated half ropes for that , id like to get dry treated and at least 60m. 

Considering the Beal jokers but have concerns about longevity, I don't mind spending the big bucks as long as I know the ropes are going to last, wondering what ropes others are using and their opinions of them are!

Thanks Emlyn 

dominikk 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Emlyn Price:

Sounds like the Edelrid Protect Pro Dry might be an option for you. They cover all your demands (including the big bucks)

LucaC 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Emlyn Price:

I have an old pre-unicore Beal Joker which has done really well. Certainly a good rope.

Have you considered just getting two skinny single ropes instead? Probably a bit cheaper than a pair of triple rated ropes, and you can then use them then as either a single or as half ropes. It's pretty rare than I find myself wanting to use twin ropes, but your usage might be different! 

OP Emlyn Price 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Emlyn Price:

Thanks for the reply's elderly looks like an interesting option and Definalty worth the money. I do a lot of guiding work so a versatile triple rated would be great but I guess a single would do. 

Inhambane 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Emlyn Price:

A slight divergence to the topic, but what would be the difference between using two 9mm single rated ropes as halves vs two 9mm half ropes as halves?  

springfall2008 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Inhambane:

Normally a single will stretch less, so higher impact force if you use two of them

LucaC 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Emlyn Price:

To be honest, I just use hardwearing single ropes for work. I'm not sure it's worth the money for expensive triple rated fancy ropes which are going to eventually get trashed from being out every day. I have some nice ropes for doing fun things myself, but generally just buy whatever single ropes are good value when they need to be replaced. 

Theres a good Petzl article on the testing and use of ropes, and interestingly includes half ropes being tested to the single rope standard. https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/What-is-the-impact-force-of-a-rope-?Produ...

Dale Berry 06 Oct 2020
In reply to LucaC:

I got a Joker for a week trip to Ailefroide a couple of years ago. Just a couple of limestone routes before and the week there, left it quite furry, so I was less than impressed with its durability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...