UKC

REVIEW: Sea To Summit Telos TR2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 17 Oct 2023

Hitherto known for camping accessories, Sea to Summit recently made the logical step into tents. New this year, their ultralight Telos TR offers lots of space, ventilation and versatility. We tested the two-person version over summer and early autumn, and apart from the obvious advantage in weight, found it to be an easy-to-pitch and highly livable tent thanks to its novel design.

Read more

galpinos 17 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

> At XXXX kg

How heavy is that exactly?

Looks like a decent tent with what I would have said was a gimmicky roll up fly that might actually be quite good!

In reply to galpinos:

> > At XXXX kg

> How heavy is that exactly?

> Looks like a decent tent with what I would have said was a gimmicky roll up fly that might actually be quite good!

I know exactly what John has done here, as I do it myself, which is to leave a placeholder when you want to weigh the product itself, as opposed to the quoted weight online (there's often a discrepancy, and similarly often it can be quite significant); however, much like me he's failed to remove said placeholder and include the weight. I'll give him a nudge now and see if we can get that updated ASAP.

J72 17 Oct 2023
In reply to galpinos:

I was thinking that 40 Roman kilograms seemed quite heavy for this tent.

In reply to J72:

Haha, this made me chuckle.

In reply to galpinos:

Sorry about that mistake, have sorted that!

I actually got a lot of use out of the roll-up fly so wouldn't say that it's gimmicky. There are some other pitching variations, the hang-out mode being the one that I'd point to as being the most gimmicky. Although who knows, maybe it'll cater to others. It would certainly make a great wee shelter when fishing at a riverside or just taking it in to use as some sun protection. Other than that I can't see myself ever using it in this configuation.

Overall great product though!

AliRLee 17 Oct 2023

Great review!

J72 17 Oct 2023
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

Should have added John really helpful review (though not much will cause me to part from my Lanshan…).  

and as someone who has previous for leaving placeholder Xs in formal papers at publication, a very easy proofing error to make! 

Mal Grey 18 Oct 2023

I do like the look of that. I have an ageing "Hubba" copy that has a full mesh inner, and I love sleeping in just that, with the fly to hand. It can't be set up quite so neatly though, and there are some clever little features in this version. The outer first thing has never worried me much either, for my "fair weather (ish)" tent. 

However, I couldn't justify the price at the mo, and probably need something a bit more Mal proof than an ultralight!

In reply to Mal Grey:

Hi Mal,

Yea, the partial fly setup that can be popped out when needed really is great. Ideally, you want to set it up and not need it during the night. But as I said, on the occasion when we started getting rained on during the night, it was really quick and easy to just pull the fly down and clip it into place. Quite satisfying.

If you are looking for something more "Mal" proof like you say, then a combination with the ground sheet is great (but you are going to be spending a good amount of cash here - although maybe you can get it on offer). The Hubba will have the edge in this category, although I think I prefer the Telos 2 overall. It's personal preference at the end of the day though and each has their needs.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...