UKC

Selling old (10+ year old) gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NorthernGrit 28 Feb 2024

Finally admitting to myself that my trad gear is never going to get used by me again - and even if it did it all needs re-slinging etc and starting again anyway.

Given it's 10+ years old just wondering what the general consensus is on selling a) Metal gear with slings and b) Soft stuff - slings, quickdraws etc.

In the case of b) is it all for the bin (or reallocation for camping use etc)? Obviously at 10+ years old no one should be climbing on it.

In the case of a) would it be the norm to sell as is or to cut off any slings first? Obviously I would make the heritage of the gear clear but is it better to remove temptation (I know as a younger hard up type I might have been tempted to take a cavalier approach to old gear - particularly as it is actually little used and outwardly in very good nick).

Sharp 28 Feb 2024
In reply to NorthernGrit:

You'll get both opinions on this I'm sure, and I'm not sure either is strictly right or wrong. Personally, provided you are selling to an adult of sound mind, then I think your responsibility ends at accurately describing what you sell. If you are concerned, you could write into the listing that the items for sale are in your opinion not fit to be climbed with or something to that effect.

MisterPiggy 29 Feb 2024

I bought some hexes last year via an auction website; the first thing I did was cut off and replace all the slings and accessory cord. The chunks of metal themselves were fine.

My logic was I didn't know the history of the 'soft bits' and with tape/cord being relatively cheap, I preferred caution.

Post edited at 10:35
 BrendanO 29 Feb 2024

Have a like for taking the responsible approach. I agree that young skint climbers might not resling anything. Why not take photos of all yer metal gear as is, slings on them, but say they’ll be sold with textiles removed? That way, buyer sees “whole item” …but you dont have anything on your conscience.

PaulJepson 29 Feb 2024

Any metal gear will be fine, so krabs and wires. 

Quickdraws will probably want new slings/dogbones so would be best sold as just a set of krabs for someone to sort themselves. 

Slings should probably not be re-sold. 

Cams - this depends on the brand; if you let us know the make/model we can help. Cams with captive loops for slings to go through can be perfectly safely DIY'd. Others with cable loops may need to be repaired by the manufacturer but plenty of them offer this service (although for some manufacturers the convenience/cost could be greatly improved on). 

If the textiles are dyneema and have been barely used and stored safely (no chemicals, direct light exposure, etc.) then there is no real reason they would be unsafe. People have done break-tests on dyneema which was this sort of age or older but had not been used/barely used and it was still failing above MBS. If a cam is rated for ~14kn and the sling is good then it will almost certainly still achieve this (as a loop of sewn dyneema is usually rated >20kn by itself). 

AlanLittle 29 Feb 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

> People have done break-tests on dyneema which was this sort of age or older but had not been used/barely used and it was still failing above MBS.

I donated a cam that I found ten years ago - no idea how old it was at that point - to a gear breaking demo at a climbing wall. The well used and rather fuzzy dyneema sling broke at above the rated strength of the cam.

TobyA 29 Feb 2024

I sold a rack of older gear a few years ago. I said exactly how old it was, and although I had been happy to climb on the soft parts of the gear, it wasn't recommended and a buyer should replace all the tape to be completely certain. I went to Needlesports' website and worked out how much tape and cord this would take (they sell recommended lengths and widths) and took that cost off what I thought was a fair price for the rack. I also included the link to Needlesports in the advert!

I had a number of offers within literally a minute of posting the ad, so obviously could have charged more, but I was perfectly happy with what I got, plus I felt good that I wasn't bullshitting anyone. Funnily enough halfway between me and the buyer turned out to be Stoney Middleton, so we agreed to meet there to exchange and we did a couple of VSs and I got to show him I was perfectly happy to still climb on the gear, and give him a chance to test run it. He seemed really genuinely pleased that he could afford a decent rack and could get out climbing more independently now, so it was an all round good experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...