UKC

Simond (Decathlon) winter soft shell pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 03 Jan 2013
I got a pair of these troos for 40 quid in Decathlon at weekend. My wife has had the Quechua branded ones for some years and likes them a lot (they are very similar to my new ones: braces, gaiters, crampon kick patches, venting zips) and I've had a pair of excellent lighter decathlon soft shell for nearly a decade, which have also been excellent. But I don't think I've seen these ones branded as Simond before. Has anyone else got a pair? If so, what do you think - strengths and weaknesses?

They look perfect for what I wanted and at a great price - so as long as they don't fall apart quickly or similar I think I've found a bargain, but interested to hear if anyone else has tried them.
Simon Wells 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I use the older (same naterial & pattern) ones branded as Quechua. I have two pairs I use for work and play. Outstanding value for money and as good as mammaut, patagonia, macpac etc.
OP TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Simon Wells: Thanks Simon, I did wonder if they are just messing around with labels - can't find them as Simond on the Decathlon website for example, and they do look so similar to my missus' Quechua ones! It seems they can't decide whether to do a full range of Simond branded clothing as their technical mountain wear or not!

The Simond basic new model of helmets for 20 quid I saw at the same time look super value for money too. After doing the research for my helmet review earlier this year, I think they actually look very safe too - hybrid design but with foam down for good side impact protection.

If nothing else at 20 quid it might help some youngsters who have put off buying a helmet due to cost decide to get one.
 GridNorth 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: I've just bought a pair of these and they look very good but I won't get a chance to try them out in anger for another couple of weeks. I did have a pair of Mammut trousers that lasted for years which I replaced with the Rab VR guide pants. They are a great fit, narrow at the ankle with crampon protection all the way up to the knee but last year I got cold spots in my legs where the ice appeared to have soaked through. I never had that with my Mammuts.
 CurlyStevo 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
There has been lots of good reports on these trousers on the forums, with people saying they like them more than much more expensive but similar trousers they own. Like you I also bought some over xmas
OP TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: You found the Simond branded ones for 40 quid too? They had some Quechua salopettes too (or troos with braces) but they were 70. Didn't look too carefully but perhaps they were Decathlon's goretex-like material.
 HeMa 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Toby, Decathlon bought Simond a few years back... Now they are re-branding some of their "better" stuff to Simond from Quenchua. Pretty much unchanged, only different logo.
OP TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to HeMa:

> Toby, Decathlon bought Simond a few years back... Now they are re-branding some of their "better" stuff to Simond from Quenchua.

I knew that Simond is in the Decathlon group now, but the branding of products Quechua vs Simond doesn't seem very systematic yet! Interesting that they are still selling their hardware to independent shops though - Camu has lots of Simond gear I notice.

Are you on the Valkeala trip this weekend? Think I'm a bit late to come now as I think it's even numbers for teams, but will try and find someone for some local climbing (and test the new troos!).
 CurlyStevo 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
Yes also Simond. There are some reports on here they will wet out quite badly on wetter days, but then I find all softshell trousers do (even schoeller on the first wearing). It's probably a lot quicker drying than some materials but because its a thick winter soft shell perhaps not that quick. Probably ideally coupled up with some light weight water proof trousers for those odd occasions when needed.

http://www.simond.com/shop/activities/act-2-Ice-climbing/cat-68-Alpinism-cl...
 Blue Straggler 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

As others have said, they are pretty much identical. I just had a trip to Scotland, I have grey Quechua ones that I got second hand, and one of the other lads had black Simond ones. We didn't do a forensic investigation but I am sure there are no changes.

I saw one of those helmets and tried it on, it was so wide at left and right that it made me look like a Super Mario mushroom! Seemed akin to a late 1980s skateboarding helmet! If you mean the cheapest Calcit one
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/media/817/8175049/zoom_400PX_mediacom_436402469....
Bellie 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: I have a pair of the Simond ones. Used them in the Italian Dolomites recently and they were great. Inner gaiters worked brilliant in the snow. Good fit for me, and vented well when needed.

Really pleased with them.
 Bradders 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Yeah been using a pair all summer in the alps and on expedition and this winter too. These are the first softshell trousers i have bought, but they have done everything i wanted and more. I modified them slightly by putting belt loops on them as i am not the largest around the waist.
They have held up perfectly so far apart from i managed to crampon myself still missing the patch. The one possible downside is the gaiters dont have something to put a strap under the boot but im sure they can be modified there too.
 GridNorth 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Bradders: I've always found the lace hook sufficient and never had a problem.
 Bradders 03 Jan 2013
In reply to GridNorth: I occasionally find it coming off not sure why, but apart from that i find them very good
 HeMa 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to HeMa)
> Are you on the Valkeala trip this weekend? Think I'm a bit late to come now as I think it's even numbers for teams, but will try and find someone for some local climbing (and test the new troos!).

Well, we are certainly thinkin' about it with Sari. There might be 2, 3 or 4 of us... if it's 3, then you'd fit in nicely.
OP TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Bradders: I might sew something on to mine to attach some elastic too. Shouldn't be too complicated.

Thanks all!
OP TobyA 03 Jan 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I saw one of those helmets and tried it on, it was so wide at left and right that it made me look like a Super Mario mushroom!

That's called side impact protection! Actually the old Petzl meteors were like that and supposedly worked well as a result.
 Milesy 03 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I have the decathlon ones. Only gripes are they get wet quickly in rain or sleet without some hardshells and they arent as warm as I would like. Only other gripe is the length is a touch short. Inside leg could have done with a few more CM for me.
In reply to TobyA:

> can't find them as Simond on the Decathlon website for example, and they do look so similar to my missus' Quechua ones!

They are just messing about with labels. Nikkormat confirmed this in the Decathlon thread:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=526536&v=1#x7087277

You cannot navigate to them on the UK site, but they are lurking there:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html

You can navigate to them on the French site, by searching by activity (escalade/alpinism):

http://www.decathlon.fr/pantalon-alpinisme-homme-id_8010075.html

Note the identical product code...

Quite why Decathlon have such a crap website, I really don't know. Having said that, the trousers aren't stocked in the Reading branch any more.

I've just come to the end of a week skiing in mine in the Chamonix valley. Admittedly with my home-made Thinsulate liners. I spotted a few other pairs on the slopes.
 Neil Pratt 04 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Just adding another positive review for them - bought a pair at the beginning of December and have worn them constantly since then. I've been using them with a pair of thin, full length synthetic baselayer leggings, which has been toasty warm on cold chilly days and uncomfortably hot on Tuesday! They aren't particularly water repellent, so I've tended to shove a pair of thin waterproof trousers on top if it's wet.
 Dave Williams 04 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I have a Quechua branded pair which are now in their third season of use. I've worn them in Rjukan and the Ecrins down to -15C (with thin thermals underneath) and will be taking them to Cogne in a couple of weeks. I've never had cold legs while wearing them. They're lasting very well indeed (still look virtually brand new in fact) and I'm extremely pleased with them.

An excellent and superb value product IMHO. Well purchased that man!

Dave
OP TobyA 04 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia: whilst we're on the subject of cheap but viable alternatives to branded outdoor gear, have you used a Uniqlo ultralight down jacket yet Cap'n? That was my other recent purchase whilst in the UK. I've just worn it casually so far, but it seems rather nice for the money.
 Joel Perkin 04 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Yeah, I brought some last year as your described, gaitors, braces, etc. They are excellent value for money, couldn't believe how good they are. They probably aren't as water resistant as some of the more expensive brands but they are comfortable and do what I want.
 Taurig 04 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA:

I sewed a few loops onto the internal gaiters of a pair of Keela trousers I got from Santa for that reason. On my Quechua softshells though there are two bits of tape stitched onto the hem of the gaiters that I suppose stop the metal poppers pulling through the stretchy material. Whatever, I unpicked some of the vertical stitches on the tape and was able to pass some bungee cord through the gap. It's held well and saves you sewing, just an idea if your gaiters are the same.

As for the trousers as a whole, I agree with the above; warm, fairly windproof and shed snow and a light rain shower, but saturate badly in much more than that to make one heavy and cold pair of keks, so I would always carry light overtrousers when wearing them.
In reply to TobyA:

Sadly, the Uniqlo shop in Reading closed a couple of years ago, so I've not even seen the down jacket. The last ones I saw looked pretty good, if a bit shiny...

My most recent down bargain was the Peter Storm hooded down gilet, now selling for £20...
In reply to TobyA:

On the subject of water resistance, has anyone tried proofing the Decathlon trousers with Nikwax or Grangers? I suspect it might work quite well, although you'd probably lose any wicking ability from the inner face.
 CurlyStevo 25 Jan 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
Tried my simmond / decathalon winter trousers over the last 2 days ice climbing at Devils Kitchen, on many climbs with various amounts of dripping water.

This is the 4th pair of softshell trousers I've owned. These shed water by far the best (better than the shoeller ones I bought for three times the price). I also tried a home test of splashing water on them and nearly all of it runs straight off and what doesn't shakes off straight away. As with any soft shell I'm sure they couldn't take a heavy shower or persistent drizzle, and as with most stretchy soft shells once water logged they will probably sag a bit and get heavier.

The built in gaiters also worked really well and I didn't get any snow in my boots despite wading through thigh deep drifts at times! I also found them pretty wind proof.

As a side note I was equally happy with my rab exodus soft shell jacket. Nice hood, pretty wind proof, sheds water very well, good value!

I guess time will tell if the performance is still as good in a year or twos time, but I have a lowe alpine jacket that's about 6 years old and still sheds water well despite me washing it normally and never reproofing it!
 GridNorth 25 Jan 2013
In reply to TobyA: Just used mine for 7 days cascade climbing and a bit of skiing in the alps. They are as good as my old Mammut ones and a lot better water resistance than the Rab VR for ice climbing. Very good value for the money. Others on the trip were so impressed that they went and bought some.
OP TobyA 25 Jan 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...