UKC

Technical Scarf

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billhook 26 Jun 2018

I read with puzzlement an advert from a major outdoor retailer.  It described the expensive scarf it was selling as 'technical'.  Could any one enlighten me what constitutes a technical scarf as opposed to a non technical scarf? 

LastBoyScout 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

Is it a James Bond one with a concealed emergency grappling hook and cable?

Ianto Bach 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

A label, an expensive price tag, a team of consultants behind the media campaigns, oh, and of course some type of fancy fabric with a really scientific descriptor - that sort of thing?

Truth is, I've fallen for this scam often enough... for example a

£300 branded Goretex cag when a non branded product would do pretty much just the same job.

The manufacturer's are simply applying their winning formula to every possible new product line to keep maximising profit and growth.

I

Kirill 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

Rated to 22kN?

jimtitt 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

As it happens I was given one years ago, it kind of doubles as a hat and is made of some wonder micro-fabric so you can use it as a towel. It´s in a cupboard somewhere......

nniff 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

'Technical' = 'synthetic'

'Organic' = 'wool'

'environmentally-friendly' = 'cotton'

'Technical organic' = 'merino wool'

'Technical organic environmentally-friendly' = 'bamboo'

Or similar variations on a theme to justify a price tag that is disproportionate to the complexity of the garment.  Add 'advanced' and /or 'athlete-tested' to taste.  Add 'SPF50' if it's likely to be worn when it's sunny and it isn't see-through.

DancingOnRock 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

Are you talking about a Buff?

They’re really good and the material is superior to the £15 that I bought from Decathlon and only Buff are allowed to call them Buffs. However the one I bought from Decathlon is brilliant. I scoffed at them for years but wouldn’t be without one now. 

OP Billhook 26 Jun 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

No I don't think so. - just a scarf.

They also sell mens 'silver trunks' for £22 these come with 'Silver technology for freshness',???? and socks with insect Shield protection whatever that is. 

ShortLock 26 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

In fairness, silver is an effective antimicrobial. One of the reasons that silver water vessels were so prized in the ancient world.

Ned 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

Just wait until the clothes manufacturers realise they can write 'gluten free' on entire product lines

OP Billhook 27 Jun 2018
In reply to ShortLock:

What?  As underwear?

In reply to Ned:

I was surprised to see an advert for gluten-free shampoo the other day.

Then there's the new, fancy burger place that claims to be 'gluten-friendly', whatever TF that is...

Glyno 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

> They also sell mens 'silver trunks' for £22 these come with 'Silver technology for freshness',???? and socks with insect Shield protection whatever that is. 

if they did it the other way round I might be interested : /

slab_happy 27 Jun 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I was surprised to see an advert for gluten-free shampoo the other day.

That's not completely nonsensical -- people who have coeliac disease, as opposed to non-coeliac gluten sensitivity, can react to miniscule traces of gluten, including in skincare (Google tells me some people are fine with gluten in shampoo/body lotion, but some do find they get skin reactions to it). And anything that has, say, wheatgerm in will have gluten.

Of course, I suspect they're advertising it because "gluten-free" is a trendy buzzword and that shampoo never had gluten in it anyway. But for a few people, that's going to be useful information.

Rick Graham 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Billhook:

> I read with puzzlement an advert from a major outdoor retailer.  It described the expensive scarf it was selling as 'technical'.  Could any one enlighten me what constitutes a technical scarf as opposed to a non technical scarf? 

I know its 30deg outside and I am just cooling off before starting some painting ( in the shade ), but I have vague memories of the first fleece scarf I had  being so good compared to the woollen one  used previously.

I gave it away to a workmate who was suffering with manflu in a harsh northern winter.

Must make another by cutting some spare fleece to size.

So a Tech scarf is probably made from tech material.  cosy

In reply to slab_happy:

> That's not completely nonsensical

I know; I have relatives who are gluten intolerant. I just thought it was surprising...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...