UKC

/ Total approach shoe disaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam B on 09 Aug 2018

5.10 have stopped making the Goretex, mid-ankle version of the Camp Four approach shoe. There are no retailers who still have a pair in my size.

I am devastated. There have been actual tears. What do I do? Mine have almost worn through the soles, and the uppers are held together at the seams with duct tape.

Can anyone tell me what to do? Do I get the non-Goretex version and just cane them with Scotch Guard or something? Do I switch brand, and if so, can anyone tell me how other rubber compounds like 'Vibram Megagrip' compare to S1 Stealth Rubber? What model of approach shoe most closely resembles a Goretex Camp Four, without having been cruelly snatched away from those who can't imagine life without them?

Send help.

guy127917 - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

> Mine have almost worn through the soles, and the uppers are held together at the seams with duct tape.

This happened to mine after about 2 weeks, isn't it the natural state of 5.10 shoes?

Wee Davie - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

I've always found La Sportiva Boulder X's have pretty decent water resistant properties. Have you tried them? They're good for easy climbing too. 

girlymonkey - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Adidas terrex. I won't use anything else now. They do all varieties of styles and their grip is excellent 

bouldery bits - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Interesting! Which model?

I mourned the demise of the Adidas swoop 2 which was, for me, the perfect fell shoe (except on wet polished rock where it was as dangerous a velciraptor in a shower cubicle) .

In reply to bouldery bits:

Oh, I have no idea what my favourite ones are! I have about 3 different models and like them all. They have been really good on wet rock too. The ones I have wouldn't be good for edging, but I don't edge much anyway. 

In reply to bouldery bits:

From a quick browse on Google, I think my two main pairs are adidas Womens Terrex AX2R GTX Multisport shoes and tracerockers. 

Footloose - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

I'm in a similar state of despair at the final total demise of my beloved Salomon approach shoes. I've patched them up with Gorilla Glue and puncture repair kits, to no avail: they've had it. Yes, there are lots of other Salomons out there, but having tried several pairs that are as near as I can get to my obsolete ones I'm seriously thinking about [shock horror!] changing brand.

For me it's critical that they should be ultra-light, waterproof, resilient, long-lasting, flexible, giving good support to the foot and ankle without cutting off the circulation or preventing the ankle from flexing.

I too need all the help I can get. Please!

Alkis - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Really? I love my Boulder X’s to bits, I’m about to get my third pair, but I always found their water resistance to be rather similar to that of a dry sponge!

routrax - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

La Sportiva TX4 mid GTX look pretty good. I've got the non GTX low rips and they climb and walk we?l, just not at all  waterproof .

bouldery bits - on 09 Aug 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Fab, thanks for that. Tracerockers look interesting...

jam - on 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Get the non-Goretex ones and wear Sealskinz socks. 

Goretex in shoes is a pet peeve of mine, I can't find any well fitting boots without the damn stuff in them now.

1philjones1 - on 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

If you’re a 10 or 11 Sport Pursuit have them for £70.

kaiser - on 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

This is what you want (link to american site)

mid height, goretex, stealth rubber (and nothing comes close to stealth rubber IMV) and better build quality than 5-10

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/IJP92.html

LastBoyScout on 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Footloose:

> I'm in a similar state of despair at the final total demise of my beloved Salomon approach shoes. I've patched them up with Gorilla Glue and puncture repair kits, to no avail: they've had it. Yes, there are lots of other Salomons out there, but having tried several pairs that are as near as I can get to my obsolete ones I'm seriously thinking about [shock horror!] changing brand.

Had to have a minute's silence a couple of weeks ago for my first pair of Exit Low 2000s- the soles had crumbled beyond anything I could realistically do with glue

Of the 2 remaining pairs, one are only in use in the garden and the other has probably reached the lower threshold of respectability in public...

Rigid Raider - on 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

What are approach shoes anyway? Overpriced trainers?

Post edited at 09:29
Si_G - on 11 Aug 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I find the heel raise on the AX2R uncomfortable. Rams my foot into the toe box. 

Ridge - on 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Footloose:

> resilient, long-lasting

You had a pair of resilient and long-lasting Salomons???

AlanLittle - on 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Having gone through similar trauma when Inov8 stopped making the Flyroc 310 I can offer you nothing but sympathy.

Footloose - on 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Ridge:

I did - they managed several thousand miles before they fell apart. Like I say, I haven't been able to find an adequate replacement since Salomon discontinued this particular design.

Post edited at 13:25
captain paranoia - on 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Sam B:

La Sportiva TX4.

Gore-tex version if you wish.

Uppers still intact after a year. Treated with nikwax nubuck proof, they're pretty water resistant. Soles now worn down to the core. Luckily, I picked a a replacement pair in Go Outdoors sale earlier in the year.

Arms Cliff - on 11 Aug 2018
In reply to kaiser:

Interesting, this looks like a better designed camp 4! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.