/ Ogwen Scrambling This Weekend - conditions advice
Keen and experienced summer scrambler here. Haven't been able to get out since September due to recent grim weather and the feet are itchy... I note that Friday - Monday this weekend look dry but very cold...
Having very little experience in the Dec - Feb period I'd like advice / opinions on whether G2/3 scrambling is feasible / sensible in these conditions or will there be a risk of (or certainly of) iced up seepage areas or even worse, frozen mist or dew giving verglas conditions?
I'm thinking about the usual popular routes ie Idwal NW buttress / Cneifion Arete and Tryfan east face...
I would have thought that Cneifion Arête would be fine, Idwal Buttress should be fine but the continuation has some seepage in places. There are some nice south facing scrambles around that will catch the sun: Sentries Ridge, Braich ty du Face, Esgair Felen in the Llanberis Pass.
Thanks. I think I'm going to give it a miss
There's a yellow warning for North Wales tomorrow due to rain and (sea level) temps below freezing.
What forecast are you looking at? Looks set to be a lovely day tomorrow!
It's overnight tonight - and to 10am. Then yes, a lovely cold mountain day.
Using the Daily Post for mountain weather forecasting, what could possibly go wrong?!
I'm heading over on Sunday, plan is either Cneifion and Dolmen or Sentries Ridge (bit short though, struggling to plan a day around it).
I climbed Bastow Buttress on the 10th in the sun on warm, dry rock. The North Ridge was iced and the snow was compacted and weirdly slippy but still safe without winter kit.
So given the forecast, East and South facing routes will be your best bet.
Thanks to all for replies - I'm going to go skiing instead!
Our Friday Night Video this week is an honest and emotional account of a climber's journey through addiction. 'The Nate Draughn Redemption Story' chronicles one climber's journey through life's highs and lows. From an early start in climbing to...