UKC

Youngest traverse of the Cuillin Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RORY FYFE 21 Apr 2023

Does anyone claim the youngest Cuillin Ridge (Traverse)

And, are there any claims on the youngest Cuillin Ridge Traverse in less than one day? 

And what are the conditions (peaks and climbs included to meet the full traverse "rules", support, etc)!? 

I have asked Mountaineering Scotland and the SMC and they say they do not keep records like these. 

The New NickB 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

I’m sure there have been plenty prenatal traverses.

kevin stephens 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

Why would it matter?

midgen 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

Do the traverse, then claim the record somewhere on the internet and you'll soon find out!

Edshakey 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

The conditions of the traverse should be relatively simple, in that there is a speed record on the ridge so you would no doubt have to do the same peaks as that. Maybe the level of support can also be derived from similar sources, see unsupported/self-supported/supported in the FKT scene.

However...

I doubt you're going to find many people on here that will be keen on, or care about, the idea of a "youngest traverse" record. If it's solo, then the record will head in the direction of younger and younger children crossing some extremely dangerous terrain alone. If it's not solo, then the record will head in the direction of parents taking younger and younger children across ground they may not be safe in - see the "8 year old jumars El Cap" news and thread. Are either of those scenarios good? And what is anyone hoping to achieve from it?

Speed records may get more dangerous as times get faster, but at least those are adults taking part. I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else in particular are being pressured by parents wanting a record, but it certainly jars with me to think of people chasing a record such as this. If the kid is capable, then sure, there shouldn't be an issue with them going for it - I imagine it would be a great experience! - but that should be purely based on the parents' judgement of their experience and motivation; to track it as a record seems unnecessary.

I hope you get have a great day out if you give it a go  

Fellover 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

I'm not surprised that a record isn't being kept for this. While lots of climbers and runners are very excited by records in general, in my experience they tend to take a dimmer view of 'youngest to do x' records. See the recent example of the youngest kid to climb El Cap, whilst mainstream media was very positive about it, most climbing media was not. This piece is not from climbing media, but is very informed by climbers https://www.sfchronicle.com/california/article/Yosemite-El-Capitan-climb-17...  

I think there's a number of reasons people can be quite uneasy about 'youngest to do x' records.

It's hard to determine if the young person actually wants to do the thing or is being pushed by someone else, normally a parent. Even if motives are actually totally above board, it's difficult to know from the outside.

It is often the case that the young person is not doing the thing 'properly', which can make people feel that the claim isn't valid. E.g. The 8 year old who 'climbed' el cap, did not really contribute to the ascent in any way. If there had been two or three duplicates of the young person, but no help from Dad and the guides they wouldn't have been able to do it. I would tend to think that the youngest people to climb El Cap were the McNamara brothers, who did it together with no adult support when they were 15 and 17 (I think, can't remember ages exactly).

I think that it's great when kids do fun and adventurous stuff, including pushing themselves, which inevitably will have to come with some help from adults, but I also tend to think that it's probably good not to have records for it.

Anyway the youngest person I know who's done it was 18 or 19 - I'm sure someone can beat that though! If you're going to go and do the ridge with some young people I hope you have a great time and if they're psyched to go fast I hope you can keep up!

I think (but am not sure) that the rules for a speed record are to start at Sgurr nan Eag and finish at Sgurr nan Gillean, on the way go to all the munro tops and include the 4 main technical sections TD gap, King's Chimney, Inaccessible Pinnacle and Naismith's Route on the Bastier Tooth.

Edit to add - I think that maybe you're supposed to include An Stac and the tops of Bidean Druim nan Ramh as well? I think Andy Hyslop's guide set out some rules for speed attempts.

Post edited at 14:47
 petegunn 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

There was a lad at uni who had done the full traverse with his dad aged 13 if I remember correctly.

RobAJones 21 Apr 2023
In reply to petegunn:

I remember a Cumbrian school kid (about 15 years ago?) who had completed all the munros when they were 10 and that record got broken soon after. Don't know if either of them did the ridge in one day, but I'd guess they were more than capable of they wanted to.

I do share the concerns others have expressed. I think that lad held the record for the Wainwright's when he was 6. That record got obliterated soon after and I felt was a lot of unhealthy competition between some  parents at the time. At least one student I taught got dragged up all the wainwright's at a very young age (about 4?) but as a teenager had no interest in the outdoors at all. 

PaulJepson 21 Apr 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

With kids you can let them enjoy something or make them hate it. 

Enty 22 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

I gave you a like but only for the last 12 words of your post.

E

Mark Kemball 22 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

I’d be more interested in the oldest person to complete the ridge and the longest time taken. 

profitofdoom 22 Apr 2023
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> I’d be more interested in the oldest person to complete the ridge and the longest time taken. 

I agree. The thought of finding out that a 6-year old has done it in 5 hours, and that a 5-year old was then inspired to do it in 4 hours 59 minutes, makes me wonder what is going on 

These age and time non-records are pointless anyway. You can never know if you hold the record; this is not like the Olympics, where all performances are observed and timed officially 

Post edited at 10:52
 Lankyman 22 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

Get on a real route, kiddo - the Yorkshire Three Peaks. Tough and proper hard for real folk not soft southern Jessie's. More timing and records than you can shake a stick at. More mud than a mud wrestler's jockstrap and endless opportunities for burning off bumblies. Go for it!

Removed User 22 Apr 2023
In reply to RORY FYFE:

Hi Rory, if you're a kid I would say don't worry about this sort of nonsense, it's not why the hills are there.

If you're a parent, try to stop being a shit one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...