UKC

Ascent of Mount Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 25 Sep 2018

I have never been to the top of Snowdon. As a wedding gift our daughter has paid for accomodation in Llanberis with instructions we must ascend Snowdon.
I was thinking Bus to Pen Y Pass, up PyG track to top, then down the tourist route the other side back to Llanberis. Mrs Bedspring does not Scramble. Can anyone suggest a better plan?

Rampikino 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

Despite starting my climbing "career" 26 years ago, I also have never conquered Mount Snowdon.  So I cannot suggest any particular approach. 

Isn't there a cable car or something?

Ramblin dave 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

There's a nice circuit from Rhyd Ddu - up to the col below Yr Aran, along the south ridge to the summit and back down via the ranger track with a cut left to get you back to the start. I don't remember it ever getting scrambly, but it's a nice set of ridges with interesting views. If you set off reasonably early or move reasonably fast you can get down in time for a Dutch pancake in the tea rooms. The pub's also alright if a bit gastro. 

Neil Williams 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

The Pyg has some slightly scrambly bits (nothing exposed, just awkward rocky ground).  If she's averse to any use of the hands, just go up and down the Llanberis.

Post edited at 15:57
In reply to J1234:

In my opinion, the Rhyd-Ddu path is the best walking route up Snowdon. Goes straight to the summit up the quietest side of Snowdon (doesn't join the railway near the top).

GrahamD 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

As a plan that's OK.  I don't think I'd really describe anything on the PyG track as scrambly and its the most direct route to the top with the least amount of ascent.  Llanberis path is not the most scenic of the options but it does get you right back to where you want to end up.

GrahamD 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Ate in the Rhyd DDu last July.  The food was good, if Gastro but the pub atmosphere had gone, service was crap and - biggest sin of all - the beer was awful.

Removed User 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> In my opinion, the Rhyd-Ddu path is the best walking route up Snowdon. Goes straight to the summit up the quietest side of Snowdon (doesn't join the railway near the top).

I'll second that. Nice route.

J1234 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will investigate Rhyd Ddu.
I have never really had much impulse to go to the top, but I always fancied doing it ala Kirkus, on a moonlit frosty night or up Main Wall and continue to the Summit.
But a walk with Mrs Bedspring is never second best

Bellie 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

A route from Llanberis could be to follow the path that cuts through towards Foel Goch towards Snowdon Ranger station, then turn to follow the Snowdon Ranger path to the top. Then down via the Llanberis path to the start.  Saves catching buses out.  6 miles up, then you have a choice of heading down via the train if you don't fancy the long descent down.

Trangia 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

> Despite starting my climbing "career" 26 years ago, I also have never conquered Mount Snowdon.  So I cannot suggest any particular approach. 

I'm shocked not only that you haven't conquered Mount Snowdon, but also that you dare to admit it!! Why you are half my age, yet by the time I was your age I had conquered it numerous times, by every route and in all weather conditions. And also Mount Sca Fell Pike, Mount Ben Nevis, Mount Ivinghoe  Beacon, and Mount Box Hill. Whatever is today's youth coming to?

I am pleased to report that after 50 years plus of driving past Mount The Wrekin en route to North Wales I finally got round to launching a successful summit bid on it earlier this year.

To bedspring and Mrs bedspring, I wish you every success in your upcoming adventure and second the suggestion of the Rhyd Ddu route

J1234 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Bellie:

That looks good. Thats the path at the back of Cloggy, I could let her peep over and tell her I climbed up. Thanks

Simon Caldwell 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Bellie:

You can only catch the train down in the unlikely event it's not full, or in an emergency. Otherwise they'll try to fit you on the last train down, but even then there's no guarantee. I know this from experience! 

Flinticus 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

You've now lost the chance to on-sight your ascent, dude!

Run_Ross_Run 25 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

Mount Snowdon?

Where's that then? 

Lusk 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Mount Snowdon? > Where's that then? 

Somewhere in Wales apparently: Mynydd Yr Wyddfa.

Wiley Coyote2 26 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

Rhydd Ddu is a pleasant route but makes for a long day as it starts about 1,much lower than  the Pen y Pass routes. If you do go from Pen y Pass I'd suggest going up the Miner's Track rather than the PyG, it's a little quieter and takes you past Glaslyn

JamButty 26 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234

Given that you're based in Llanberis,  you're idea is the best one IMHO.  There aren't any scrambly things really on either Pyg or Miners.

Think its about 9/10 miles but lots of that is downhill on the Llanberis path.

Rampikino 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Trangia:

2 dislikes for that?  Some people have no sense of humour.

I had the "pleasure" of doing the Wrekin Wrecker fell race a couple of years ago.  It's fair to say that it finds the various steepest ways up to the top of the Wrekin and makes you go up and down all of them.  So I have conquered Mount Wrekin multiple times!

Trangia 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Well done! We tackled Mount Wrekin by traversing round the SE side then ascended the SW Ridge traversing over the summit and down the NE side.

Gosh, the SW Ridge is steep! We came close to needing oxygen, but battled determinedly on. 

Amazing views from the summit, but the tranquillity was spoilt by several drones buzzing around.

PaulJepson 27 Sep 2018

As Ramblin Dave suggested, Rhyd Ddu and Rangers is a good circuit.

I did it in the winter just gone (descending Rhyd Ddu) and while there is no technical ground, there is a fairly exposed ridge which may factor in your decision. It's a massive path in the middle of it and no difficulties but if you're with someone who has a bad head for heights then may want to consider an alternative. 

Also a much nicer side of the mountain than Pen Y (from purely a walking path perspective; there are obviously some great scrambles on Pen Y side). 

birdie num num 27 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

I think your original plan is great. 

Bus to Pen y Pas, Pyg track and down via the tourist route.

It takes you up between the rugged glaciated scenery between Liywedd and Crib Goch along easy scramble free paths with spectacular scenery, and then down to Llanberis without any knee wrecking descent, and the added interest of the mountain railway alongside. As well as some great views.

It's a popular route. And justifiably so. Save the quieter routes for another day

In reply to birdie num num:

The Llanberis walk is quite boring really. Good views mostly hidden until near the top. I did it once in descent when I missed a lift back from the little 'Cloggy car park' we used to use. I actually do not like following a railway line up and down a mountain. The PyG track is very good, but marred by the final scruffy bit up beside the railway.

DancingOnRock 27 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

Great plan. The bus is best done in the morning before the walk as waiting for it in the evening after the climb when all you want is your dinner is quite tedious. Especially if it’s raining and cold. 

You’ll also get a great atmosphere in the bus, a lot of people will be heading up to do Crib Goch.

I’ve stayed in the campsite in Nant Peris a few times and done that route but had to take the bus in the morning and the evening. 

birdie num num 27 Sep 2018

Well I don't think an ascent and descent of the Llanberis path was being considered.

PyG track up, and Llanberis down. 

The scenery at Glaslyn is as good as it gets for a walking route, the final ridge from Bwlch Glas is hardly scruffy. The railway adds interest but doesn't dominate, an interesting feat of Victorian engineering and a route to the summit for the less able. 

It's unfortunate that you had to suffer the descent once, when you missed your lift. sounds like a real drag. But there's some great views. You've obviously forgotten.

In reply to birdie num num:

Well ... there's never been a single day in Snowdonia that I haven't really liked, but that route down Snowdon must be one of the least interesting things I've ever done there. The exact truth is that scrambling and climbing days are just so much greater and more wonderful in every way. Some felt 100s of times greater, some 1000s (you can't measure them, except they rank among the greatest days in one's whole life.)

graeme jackson 28 Sep 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Mount Snowden?

Something princess Margaret used to do.

LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2018
In reply to J1234:

First time I ever went up Snowdon, I was about 6 and went up the Ranger trail with my Dad and Grandpa - all I wanted at the top was a sausage sandwich from the cafe. It was a damp day and they hadn't invented kids waterproofs back then, so my waterproof trousers were the sleeves off my Mum's old jacket pulled up and tucked into my belt.

Last time I went up was with some family friends who'd never been up a mountain. We got dropped off at Pen-y-Pass and did the Pyg Track / Llanberis trail route suggested by others. Made it a bit special by taking a posh picnic and bottle of wine for lunch at the top.

Another option is to walk up the Llanberis pass, then down the Ranger trail and loop back into Llanberis - the reverse of what Bellie suggested. I've done that loop on a mountain bike.

Do remember the weather can change rapidly - I've had a couple of ascents that started in bright sun and ended up at the top in heavy rain.

russellcampbell 28 Sep 2018

> The Llanberis walk is quite boring really. Good views mostly hidden until near the top. I did it once in descent when I missed a lift back from the little 'Cloggy car park' we used to use. I actually do not like following a railway line up and down a mountain. The PyG track is very good, but marred by the final scruffy bit up beside the railway.

Agree about Llanberis track. Have only come down it which was OK. However, I suspect the walk would seem interminable if going up this way.

J1234 28 Sep 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

>

> Do remember the weather can change rapidly - I've had a couple of ascents that started in bright sun and ended up at the top in heavy rain.

Thanks for the advice. I have done quite a bit of walking and climbing, its actually weird I have not been to the top of Snowdon, but for walking I am more into the Lakes and Dales.

Gone 28 Sep 2018
In reply to russellcampbell:

> Agree about Llanberis track. Have only come down it which was OK. However, I suspect the walk would seem interminable if going up this way.

When I was a kid we would regularly spend a week in North Wales over the Easter break and on the nicest day we would attempt to walk up Snowdon, usually via the Llanberis path. We only ever made it to the top once. On all the other occasions we got about 80% of the way before my parents would declare it “unsafe” (they saw a bit of snow lying on the ground) or “it is getting on a bit” (my dad was in his 60s and walked at snail’s pace, so despite getting up at 7am, they were always fretting about getting benighted). The experience has scarred me for life and I won’t go up that way any more. Fine for descent, but nicer ways to go up.

I also remember, because we always picked the nicest day, getting really hot under my top of the range for kids extra thick boil in the bag mountain waterproofs. My mother insisted I had the best because she had been on outdoor pursuits courses and had learned that Snowdon was such a high mountain and the weather could change in an instant. Sadly she had taken “change in an instant” too literally and when I complained of being hot and could I stop and take my coat off she said I could either stop OR take my coat off but NEVER BOTH as that was how people got hypothermia. So as a kid I thought it was possible to get heatstroke and hypothermia at the same time.

russellcampbell 28 Sep 2018
In reply to Gone:

Nice story. I wish my parents had taken me hill walking.

DancingOnRock 29 Sep 2018
In reply to Gone:

Have you ever been up that way since on your own. Doing it on a nice day with trainers, shorts and t-shirt might excorcise the daemons. 

I took a guy in his mid 30s up that way a few years ago. He’d never been up a mountain before. He loved it, although I didn’t manage to convince him he didn’t need full expedition kit of tent, rucksack, sleeping bag, stove and food. He’d been reading up on it in the internet and gone to extremes. 

Post edited at 06:30
 McHeath 29 Sep 2018
In reply to Gone:

Lovely story. My first trip to the Alps was shortly after I'd discovered "The Games Climber Play" (late 70's), so I spent a week in the Bergell wearing a full set of long woollen (!) underwear and a Barbour Thornproof fishing jacket, convinced that that deadly 6 day snowstorm was  always just about to hit. Needless to say, we had 6 days of perfect weather.

knighty 30 Sep 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Mount Ivinghoe Beacon is particularly tough due to the false summit. Kudos to those who do conquer.

Gone 30 Sep 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Nah, don’t see the point exorcising the demons by going up the Llanberis path. I always looked at Crib Goch longingly, knowing my parents would never take me up there or let me go with someone else who went up there, so now I am a grown woman I have a lovely scramble up Crib Goch and enjoy it far more.

J1234 14 Oct 2018
In reply to J1234:

Thanks for all the tips. The Onsite ascent of Mont Snowden went o well.

We ascended the PyG track in mist rain and gloom.

Quite intrigued by the variety of characters going up, from one chap dressed for Everest, to a young lass dressed for Oxford Street, and all points in between.

At the top we queued fo the selfie at the Trig Point in Mist.

We went for a Brew in the Refugio and 20 minutes later again queued for the Trig Point again in blue skies with views for miles.

We desended the Snowdon Ranger Path and I let my Wife have a peep over Cloggy to see how heroic I am climbing such things.

We then kept to a fence line down to, Bwlch Cwm Brwynog then followed the Afon Arrdu to Hafodty Newyd, we only saw a group of three people who studiously tried to pretend we did not exist.

Then went down the road past the Chesters Hut back to base.

A fantastic walk and I feel a team effort by UKC, thank you

Post edited at 20:16
 subtle 15 Oct 2018
In reply to J1234:

> Thanks for all the tips. The Onsite ascent of Mont Snowden went o well.

> We ascended the PyG track in mist rain and gloom.

> Quite intrigued by the variety of characters going up, from one chap dressed for Everest, to a young lass dressed for Oxford Street, and all points in between.

> At the top we queued fo the selfie at the Trig Point in Mist.

> We went for a Brew in the Refugio and 20 minutes later again queued for the Trig Point again in blue skies with views for miles.

> We desended the Snowdon Ranger Path and I let my Wife have a peep over Cloggy to see how heroic I am climbing such things.

> We then kept to a fence line down to, Bwlch Cwm Brwynog then followed the Afon Arrdu to Hafodty Newyd, we only saw a group of three people who studiously tried to pretend we did not exist.

> Then went down the road past the Chesters Hut back to base.

> A fantastic walk and I feel a team effort by UKC, thank you

Nice one, sounds like a grand day out, for you and your wife. Glad you got back safely to share this with us.

allanscott 16 Oct 2018
In reply to graeme jackson:

Speculation surely????

graeme jackson 17 Oct 2018
In reply to allanscott:

> Speculation surely????

well they were married and had kids. seems reasonably conclusive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...