UKC

New pack advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 15 Nov 2018

Hi all. Looking to invest in a new pack for winter lakes and scotland

Intended use is only for walking/ odd scramble but nothing climbing. 

Mom thinking a montane fast alpine 40 or possibly burning all the cash on a Norrona trollveggen 45.

ive tried the fast alpine 40 and it was a push to get everything in but doable

waiststrap was quite high for me but guess that’s to accommodate a harness?

anyone got thoughts on either pack or something completely different?

stu 

Flinticus 15 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed Userplodding painter:

I've got a Gregory Zulu 30 which also comes in 40.

Great features: hip pockets, deep side pockets, stuff pouch for wet gear etc.

Removed User 17 Nov 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

Added to my check list ????????

Mark Haward 17 Nov 2018

I suggest going to a shop with lots of rucksacks and trying them on to see which fit you best.

For winter hillwalking you probably don't need the lightest around, most likely a tough basic sack. 40 litres sounds a little large to me, can you fit all your winter walking kit into a 30 litre, or 30 litre that is extendable, pack?

The Montane Alpine 40 is a great mountaineering / climbing pack but possibly overkill for what you require. 

In reply to Mark Haward:

Agree with Mark, it's best to go and try different ones and see what suits you. Having said that, for a more budget option I'd highly recommend the Alpkit Ledge (30L). 

Billhook 18 Nov 2018

If you can't get everything in a 40 litre sack then you may be taking too much gear.

a) Like the others go to a shop, try a couple on. But don't forget just about every sack I've seen can be adjusted to fit.

b) Don't fall for fancy names like "Alpine warrior", "Force 12" and so on.

c) Buy a well known make.

d) Don't get obsessed with buying the lightest one.  A few ounces here or there isn't going to make any noticeable difference when you've filled it with kit.

e)  The most expensive ones aren't necessarily the best ones.

f) 'climbers' sacks generally have 'simpler' outsides but if you're scrambling I wouldn't bother whether it was a climbers sack or not.  Either way there doesn't appear to be much different these days.

r1ch79 18 Nov 2018

Take all the stuff you want to take in your winter pack with you to a shop and play with some bags. No point trying an empty pack on as once full the fit changes and you need to know if your kit fits.... additionally consider that every outing may not entail taking the same kit... for simple easy days i use a simple vango 30 which is really more a 25 but for longer trickier days with greater risk of benightment i take a genuine 35-45 alpine attack...

UKH Forums 18 Nov 2018
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
Removed User 19 Nov 2018
In reply to UKH Forums:

This thread is regarding hillwalking in winter. I don’t do climbing of any sort. 

r1ch79 19 Nov 2018

If you're just hillwalking and wont be taking gear i would have thought a 35 would do the job and if not actually climb7ng then you dont have as many concerns re ruggedness or snagging points..... have a good shop around.... ambleside had loads of shops quite close together tho u may well live miles away.....

Removed User 22 Nov 2018

Tried them and was down to the montane and Norrona. it’s a tight fit in the montane so for ease of access ( especially with side zip) I went with the Norrona. Should give me room to spare if want to do an overnight at any point . Thanks for advice guys 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...