UKC

Walks that are longer than they are...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 27 Nov 2018

One of the most lasting feelings I had when doing the fourteen peaks walk was the impression of distance covered when, on descending from Foel Fras, I saw the Ormes, and the Carneddau gently descending to Liverpool bay. In that same morning I'd had views down to Cardigan Bay (an even greater distance to a distant town that has given it's name to a huge expanse of water).

A coastal view to coastal view walk. In Cornwall you can walk from Porthtowan to Devoran in an afternoon.

Any other experiences like this, where a day's walk can transport you from one type of landscape to another and exaggerate the distance covered?

profitofdoom 28 Nov 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> Any other experiences like this, where a day's walk can transport you from one type of landscape to another and exaggerate the distance covered?

In London - Piccadilly to Poplar

In reply to pasbury:

" exaggerate the distance covered?"

walk home from pub compared to the walk there

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Assuming the beer compass has been set correctly I find the walk home from the pub far shorter than the walk to the pub!

In response to the OP I found the walk into (and out of) Knoydart from Kinloch Hourn a bit like walking between two different worlds (an almost tropical loch side walk to the wilds of Scotland). Jolly good!

Post edited at 11:52
 Billhook 28 Nov 2018
In reply to pasbury:

The  mile long portage around thunderhouse falls on the Missinaibi River in Northern Ontario.  The view is thick bush/forest and a steep muddy slope.

With an 80lb canoe + your kit on your back in the warm damp rain, sweating and muddy over some wet, muddy, steep climbs/drops, coupled with being eaten by mosquitos, blackflies and no-see-ums, it feels like 20 miles.

Oh, and boy that  view when you could see the river again was just.......Wow!!!!!!!!

alan moore 28 Nov 2018
In reply to pasbury:

The Culm coast is good for that. No distance at all from the world of buttercups and dozy cows to bramble ravaged collapsing scree and rock finned seascapes.

Similarly, a half mile in the Dark Peak will take you from terraced back doors to the lonely heights and the rocks of beyond.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...