UKC

Which GPS for Spine Race and general hiking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 29 Nov 2020

I have just entered the Spine Challenger and have decided its time to invest in a GPS.  I tend to use the Viewranger app with its base mapping which seems great and reliable, but I should probably get a stand alone device now.

Any suggestions?  Seems like either Garmin (lots of options) or Sat map Active 20 are the main options... I think?!  Cost is not too much of a factor as Christmas is coming up!

Also which mapping options to go for as it seems like that is another major consideration. 

(To avoid any UKC faff, I also carry map and compass and know how to use them)

Thanks.

timjones 29 Nov 2020
In reply to maybe_si:

I suspect that the Garmin GPSmap 64s is going to be hard to beat for this. It's robust and easily operated one handed with gloves on.

I got one for less than £100 off ebay and having installed Talkytoaster maps find it ideal for navigating whilst running.

shuffle 29 Nov 2020
In reply to maybe_si:

Something without a touch screen and with buttons/toggles you can easily use with gloves on would be my recommendation. 

I used a Garmin Etrex 30 when I did the Challenger a few years ago which was both cheap (2nd hand) and simple to use. Battery life is very good and it is sturdy enough that I didn’t need to worry too much about it getting knocked about. 

r0b 29 Nov 2020
In reply to shuffle:

Etrex 30 for me too on the Challenger, with the talky toaster maps.

OP maybe_si 30 Nov 2020
In reply to r0b:

Thats great thanks.

I was looking at the Garmin 66i as it has the inreach technology (my wife likes the idea of me having this when I'm off in remote places by myself!)

Anyone used that one?

greg_may_ 30 Nov 2020
In reply to maybe_si:

Etrex gets my vote. My 20 has been going strong for over 8 years now.

crayefish 01 Dec 2020
In reply to maybe_si:

Nope, but I'll be buying one this week for a solo expedition... and as such I've done a lot of research into it, including reviews etc.  Seems that, if you can deal with the learning curve and the outdated interface, its the mac daddy of GPS units (especially if you want inReach).

Anyone with experience of this unit I'd be also interested to hear from.

OP maybe_si 01 Dec 2020
In reply to crayefish:

Interesting, that's also the conclusion that I have come to.  Have you played with one in a shop at all? All of my research has been during lockdown 2 so no chance yet!

SouthernSteve 01 Dec 2020
In reply to maybe_si:

> Anyone used that one?

We have an iReach-Mini (baby version without mapping) which links to the running watch and phone (on which there is mapping OS 1:25,000). We usually carry a power brick for the phone and everything else in an emergency). The three predefined text system takes a bit of getting used to, but with care and some planning you can make it work in lots of ways. Not sure if the monthly payment plans are worth it for the majority, but you can pick up intermittent as needed service for quite reasonable costs. Definitely good to know where the other half is, whichever of us it is. I bought it for a long winter mountain ultra and it definitely makes you feel more comfortable for long periods on your own and the person left at home can also be more relaxed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...