UKC

Desert Island Discs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 15 Oct 2018

Any one catch Sundays edition of DID ?  It was the turn of Nile Rogers one of my favourite artists, I was looking forward to find out who has influenced him over the years.

Turns out that Nile Rogers was his greatest influence as he chose five of his own records out of the eight allowed........ Hmmm slightly disappointing.

Not quite in the league of Dame Moura Lympany who chose eight out of eight records that featured herself, but still ...

Pedro50 15 Oct 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

Absurd. Just ban choosing your own records 

Doug 15 Oct 2018

wonder if he understood the programme format ? I don't suppose he's a regular R4 listener

Andy Long 15 Oct 2018

> Not quite in the league of Dame Moura Lympany who chose eight out of eight records that featured herself, but still ...

Elizabeth Schwartzkopf also!

nniff 15 Oct 2018

Mind you, the other three were interestingly varied, especially the Doors he took as the sole survivor

Mick B 15 Oct 2018

> Not quite in the league of Dame Moura Lympany who chose eight out of eight records that featured herself, but still ...

As did Brian Pern. I think they were all from his latest album.

Timmd 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Doug:

> wonder if he understood the programme format ? I don't suppose he's a regular R4 listener

Why so?

scoobydougan 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Coz he's a Septic innit 

Fruitbat 16 Oct 2018

I didn't catch DID but I'm pretty sure Nile Rogers picked quite a few of his own records when on Tracks of My Years on Ken Bruce's show - I may be getting him mixed up with Jimmy Iodine, a large proportion of his choice (on ToMY) was records that he had produced himself. I suppose he was correct, in that they are tracks that are part of his life and influenced him, and he had some stories to tell about them e.g. he gave Bruce Springsteen short thrift when presented with a demo of an album, think it was Darkness or The River.

toad 16 Oct 2018

He shows up a lot on the bbc. He's interesting and a good raconteur, but dear lord that man has an ego visible from space!!

Removed User 16 Oct 2018

I remember a radio show years ago, maybe late 70s or early 80s where future US president Ted Nugent talked about his favourite 10 songs, and 8 of them were his own.

Blue Straggler 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse

Melody Maker circa 1993-4 interviewed a handful of contemporary female vocalists about their influences and inspirations. Eg Elizabeth Frazer waxed lyrical about Nina Simone iirc. That kind of format.

Dot Allison chose to praise Hope Sandoval and....Dot Allison. She made a good case for herself though, and she was always so cool.

The New NickB 16 Oct 2018

In the dim and distant musical guests on Desert Island Discs were expected to list a large number of there own tracks, Louis Armstrong for example also picked five of his own tracks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...