UKC

First pink feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 15 Sep 2022

Two small skeins this morning, more this evening including one of over 100 geese.  Can’t beat that sweet honking sound. Roe buck and meadow pipit. Loads linnet and goldfinch, chiffchaff and swallows hanging on. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Pair Sparrowhawks and a buzzard this evening as well. 

Tringa 16 Sep 2022

Good shots BC. Good to hear the migrant geese are arriving. I always look forward to seeing migrants in Spring and Autumn.

Dave

Michael Hood 16 Sep 2022

3 skeins over Scafell massif today - only heard the 3rd lot. Taking advantage of the northerly wind for an easy flight down south methinks.

There may of course have been many more that I missed.

Robert Durran 16 Sep 2022

Saw several large skeins of geese flying in high from the NW over the west highlands of Scotland last night.

In reply to Robert Durran and others:

Whilst it’s always good to see pink feet arriving, seeing them over Scafell or the Highlands makes it even better.  Seen loads this morning and this evening. We live on a ‘flight path’ from the Lancashire flatlands around Southport. 

Post edited at 21:00

Saw a few small skeins flying overhead today, heading in direction of Loch Leven. Don’t know what species but at Vane Farm there are plenty of Greylags present.

BTW saw two Greenshanks and four Black tailed Godwits today. Thanks to the things to look out for comments the other day made it slightly easier. Getting photos helped ID after I got home. Plenty of Curlews at the upper reaches of the Forth seen as tide was rising.

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

With geese flying high: it’s the type of honk. Might sound weird, but pink feet sound sweeter.  And they can be waaaay high. Greylag won’t be.  
And well done on the waders. Greenshanks are ace. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...