UKC

Genericising Toblerone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 05 Mar 2023

At first we were snubbed by the lengthening of the gap between the segments; now as manufacturing is expanding into Slovakia, the Swiss have decreed the iconic impression of the Matterhorn on the packaging will be replaced with a more generic, fabricated peak.

I fell for the Roald Dahl / Puffin debacle hook, line and sinker and am now wise to these viral-outrage marketing scams, but FFS Mondelēz International! Grow a pair will you?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/05/matterhorn-mountain-toblerone...

Everything's being stripped of it's meaning no matter how inoffensive and a strong identity seems unpalatable, nay threating to "the consumer". We're no longer snowflakes; they at least are unique. We are grey inanimate blobs absorbing inane and meaningless corporate fluff alongside our chocolate treats.

Hooo 05 Mar 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

To be fair to Mondelēz, it's the law. They don't have any choice. The Swiss do not go around breaking laws.

What's more interesting is the bear. I've never noticed it before.

Lankyman 05 Mar 2023

Years ago, when Marathon became Snickers I knew Chocolageddon was inevitable. And here we are. Meltdown.

Did you read the article before posting it?

It’s literally a story about a nation safeguarding symbols of their national identity and from that you somehow conclude “a strong identity seems unpalatable, nay threating“

Post edited at 20:40
 Ridge 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> And here we are. Meltdown.

Fonduegeddon?

In reply to Stuart Williams:

> Did you bother reading the article before posting it?

Yes.

> It’s literally a story about a nation safeguarding symbols of their national identity and from that you somehow conclude “a strong identity seems unpalatable, nay threating“

I'm not sure you can safeguard a geological shape, good luck with that. Legally it has more holes in it than a wheel of Swiss cheese.

> I'm not sure you can safeguard a geological shape, good luck with that. Legally it has more holes in it than a wheel of Swiss cheese.

I’m sure Mondelēz can’t wait to hear your legal advice but it doesn’t change the fact that you apparently want people to fight for a strong identity and it’s a story about people doing exactly that. 

CantClimbTom 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Hooo:

No, they do have a choice, they can leave production in Switzerland rather than move production out to squeeze a couple of extra pennies out of it.

Do you remember the Kraft Cadbury issues? Mondelez was spun out of Kraft in 2012. Mondelez (Kraft at the time...) bought Cadbury it gave assurances it wouldn't relocate Cadbury production - which turned out to be not legally binding so sure enough, Mondelez did relocate much production out of UK.

Sounds like Mondelez are doing it again 

Edit: If you never noticed the bear you must have been terrible at pub quiz questions that was a common one in the lucky dip round "which animal is the logo of toblerone" oh that question followed by "what is Boris Johnson first name?"

Post edited at 20:57
 BusyLizzie 05 Mar 2023
In reply to Ridge:

I once offered my husband "a square of toblerone". Easily done I think...

bouldery bits 05 Mar 2023

Snowflakes aren't unique. 

Potatoes are. 

artif 05 Mar 2023

Better not mention the new non recyclable kit kat wrappers then, oops too late

wintertree 05 Mar 2023

You can always make your own… https://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/turbo-toblerone/

They should put a profile of Roseberry Topping on the packets.

It’s a two edged sword for the Swiss, because now they can’t anymore say that Zermatt is the home of the Toblerone Mountain.

birdie num num 06 Mar 2023

They could leave the current image on the packaging and just say it's Cnicht

wercat 06 Mar 2023

So you'd be quite happy with the Chinese or the Germans producing a "Durham Cathedral" branded cheese and selling it here with a St Cuthbert's Cross, Cathedral and Doorknocker on the packaging?

Post edited at 09:08
In reply to wercat:

Call me a romantic fool but I like the idea of natural formations belonging to nobody!

Post edited at 09:19
 NorthernGrit 06 Mar 2023

I'm still fuming they took the cardboard divider out of the Bounty. Now this!

In reply to NorthernGrit:

I know, right! The original version of the OP was so laden with expletives, they'd have chucked me into triangular prism if I'd have submitted that,

montyjohn 06 Mar 2023

> the Swiss have decreed the iconic impression of the Matterhorn on the packaging will be replaced with a more generic, fabricated peak.

I always thought it was a generic peak that really looked like the Matterhorn. I have a vague memory of reading that Tolberone never confirmed it actually was the Matterhorn.

felt 06 Mar 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

It's actually the Dent Blanche but Swiss dentists complained.

profitofdoom 06 Mar 2023

> ......Legally it has more holes in it than a wheel of Swiss cheese.

I have to Agruyere with you 

wercat 06 Mar 2023

of course, but you must also respect the rights of nations to protect their national identity from imposters

Bob Kemp 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> Fonduegeddon?

A chocalypse.

Alkis 06 Mar 2023

> I'm not sure you can safeguard a geological shape, good luck with that. Legally it has more holes in it than a wheel of Swiss cheese.

You can be pretty damn sure that the Swiss will try.

You can also be pretty damn sure that Mendelez had the best legal advice they could possibly have and would not change the branding of one of their most iconic products without being forced to.

Post edited at 10:23
 felt 06 Mar 2023
In reply to wercat:

But funnily enough, a Swiss watch movement "is considered 'Swiss' if at least 60% of production costs are generated in Switzerland, and at least 50% by value of all components is Swiss-made, excluding the cost of assembly". Which seems like a swizzle to me, but what do I know?

https://www.cosc.swiss/en/quality/swiss-made-controlled-label

wercat 06 Mar 2023
In reply to felt:

So if they could export tankers full of melted Toblerone to be packaged as a "kit" perhaps they could keep the old logo?

Lankyman 06 Mar 2023
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> A chocalypse.

Now?

Pete Pozman 07 Mar 2023

'Spect they'll be replacing the M with Gerlachovský Štít as they've moved to Slovakia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerlachovsk%C3%BD_%C5%A1t%C3%ADt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...