UKC

Is it too early for a '2010 - how was it for you?' thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 13 Dec 2010
If not, here it is.

If so, please move along, nothing to see here.

So how was your year? Let's be radical and say it's a two part question with the first part being about climbing and the second part being about the rest of your life.
 Ava Adore 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing has been enjoyable this year but I have had neither the head nor the time to devote to any kind of improvement and am wondering whether I ever will. On the up side, I made a lot more climbing friends and visited a few places I’ve never been to before, including the lovely Pembroke. I’ve also developed a really great rapport with my main climbing partner who has led me up some wonderful stuff this year and to whom I’m accordingly very grateful.

Work has been very difficult with the news that my site will close at the end of 2011 breaking in March this year. As I’m writing this some 9 months later, I still have no clarity about a possible future role with the company which is now beginning to cause me no small amount of stress.

Romantically, the year is ending pretty well.
 owlart 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Climbing-wise this year has been a wrote-off due to injury, not set foot on rock or plastic at all.

Life-wise, this year has been mixed, but I'm finally pretty-much pain free at last, so that, at least, has been a major success!
 Scarab9 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> > Romantically, the year is ending pretty well.

expect an email to the effective message of "SPILL!!!!"
 Scarab9 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yes it's too early! but I've got a few mins to kill while something reboots...

life-wise - ups and downs. Gradually becoming more down towards the end after probably the high moment of my life occurring in January and lasting far too short a time.
Work has been good for most of it but the last few months have been incredibly stressful and set to get worse up until end of Feb when I may or may not have a job.
I've also seen most of the people I care about suffer a lot of heartache and stress as well which is not easy to watch and sadly there's only so much help you can give.

Climbing has been one of only two things to get me through apart from a certain non-climbing friend who has been amazing as always despite being in the list of those I've watched suffer.
As for climbing, I can never get as much in as I want but I've done a lot more this year and loved it. I've also met some awesome people beacuse of it who have also helped me this year enormously.
 Stuzz 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

All in all the year has been excellent for me!

Climbing wise it got off to a great start with lost of cragging, pushed my grade a little, climbed plenty of classic routes and got some great mountain routes done as well, including my first venture into the Cullins! The winter season has got off to a great start for me already too, and looks to continue in similar style!
Slight set back due to injury around August but on the road to recovery!

Life wise its been just as good! I've met some amazing people, renewed old friendships, strengthened existing ones. I've worked in some of the most beautiful places our country has to offer. I seem to have found a good balance between work and social life. Everything seems to be going rather well for the moment (touch wood!).

Hope everyones having as much fun as i have been!
Stuzz
 The New NickB 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Did not get as much climbing done as planned in 2010, but what I did was very enjoyable, both summer and winter, also got to visit Southern Patagonia at the beginning of the year, which was a long held ambition and fantastic.

I have taken up running seriously again, which is great, but my personal life has been unremittingly shit and work has not been much better.

Hopefully 2011 will be better.
 Mike Stretford 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: What's tomorrow... a Plans for May Bank Hol thread!

Yeah ok, should have moved along.
fijibaby 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Well, as much as anyone cares, it's been ok.
Climbing wise, nothing to report really. Got a bit done, but life has a habit of getting in the way.
High point: Finished my degree and got a first
Low point: No jobs out there so I'm doing one I hate. Could be worse I suppose.
 teflonpete 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - after a promising start to the summer season it all went a bit pear shaped for a few months. A brief rally in form for one weekend in September was short lived and I finish this year slightly disappointed but eager for next year so it's all good really.

Outside of climbing, relationship with Mrs Teff and my kids is better than ever, got my front garden sorted (driveway etc) after 5 years of it resembling a WW1 battle site and finally got off my backside to start doing a degree with OU, something I thought I'd never actually do. Made some new friends and strengthened some existing friendships along the way too. All in all, 2010 was a good year :0)
 SGD 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Climbing Wise. I started on a real high and steadily descended from that highpoint to a pretty much all time low due to injury. So not great but on a more personnal note it has been a very good year. I feel very settled and very happy. I wonder if these 2 aspects of my life are somehow linked????
 Toby S 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - lots of bouldering getting done but very little of that stuff what you do on ropes. Seem to be getting stronger but I'm still rubbish!

Life - don't talk to me about life .. <<rambles on for a further hour about how crap it is, what a shit year it's been, what with me having the brain the size of a planet, before sticking my head in a bucket of cold water>> ... S'ok I s'pose.
OP Tall Clare 13 Dec 2010

as for me...

Climbing-wise, a bit on the low-volume side but perversely I seem to be climbing better than I ever have. That's not saying a great deal, mind. A head-melting moment on a slab in Switzerland gave me one of my more memorable climbing moments.

Outside climbing, managed to finally shrug off fifteen years of depression, met the man I'm going to spend the rest of my life with, acquired new relatives, decided to be brave about my photography and writing and start putting myself out there - with good results.

I think, all things considered, it's been a belter of a year. Roll on 2011!
 Ava Adore 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab9:
> (In reply to Ava Adore)
> [...]
>
> expect an email to the effective message of "SPILL!!!!"

YHM oh giant one.

Interesting how mostly people so far haven't had a great climbing year. Hmmm.
In reply to Ava Adore:

I think it's more about the people who've responded to the thread than anything else - the weather's been good (for the most part) and the opportunities have been there.
 Andy Farnell 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore: Climbing wise - best ever in terms of hard routes. 2 major projects ticked off and some quick hard sends. Not done as much bouldering, but that'll come. Didn't up my grade, but became solid at my top grade.

Family wise - son number 2 arrived happy and healthy, job improved after a rough period earlier in the year.

All in all, not bad.

Andy F
 PontiusPirate 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing: although I've got to several venues, and climbed routes which I've always wanted to, I don't feel as though I've achieved much, and now work on the YMC grit guide has taken over my remaining (snow-free!) weekends,I'm not really doing much, other than 'treading water', metaphorically speaking, on the few indoor sessions I'm currently having.

Personally: I wrote a lengthy piece here, and then realised it was all too ill-advised on a public forum. Sometimes its simply more prudent to leave the catharsis at home: so apologies for not fulfilling my 'brief' for this this thread Clare! This, of course, may be a lesson to others...
Surffice to say, the beginning of 2011 may be rather 'interesting', and not necessarily in a positive way...

PP.
 thin bob 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
Climbing: not much, but actually did some, as opposed to 2009 when it really fell off a cliff, so to speak...injuries and headspace!!

rest: bollock achingly piss poor and literally depressing, as an overall analysis...like eating sh1te with sweetcorn in it, so i shall choose to remember the sweetcorn moments! .
Did do some good and new stuff, and met a lot of new people, so groovy-dudey.

Good to read people's 'nice times' posts: long may ya rock & roll it, dudes!
 toad 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Yes it is! The papers are full of "review of the year" type stuff and it's only the 13th of December. Traditionally this stuff was discussed in the dead space between CHristmas and New Year, but give that the meeja will start holidaying around the 18th and crawl back to their desks sometime after 12th night, they seem to have shoved the "look backs" halfway to November!

In reply to toad:

Shall I mark you down as a 'move along, nothing to see here' then?
 chris j 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Climbing - not done enough, due to work and tearing a pulley in the spring, but what I've done has been good. Two fantastic weekends at Sharpnose in september/October were the highlight leaving me well psyched for next year.

Everything else - too much work, which pays the bills but leaves me rather out of touch with the rest of the world (working away on ships). Hopefully I can get a better balance next year.
 toad 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: I shall return to the thread on the 28th, with a glass of cheap sherry and a slightly green turkey leg.
 JamesRoddie 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - really good, although climbing is more an accompaniment to photography for me, rather than an independent hobby. But I've been very successful in many ways this year, getting photos published for the first time, and starting to establish a "name" for myself.

Life - awesome. Best year of my life so far no doubt. I've become closer to some amazing people and I'm the happiest I've ever been with myself. Plus I've had some amazing experiences all round this year. Can't ask for much more really!

James
 jacobfinn 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Climbing-wise I've had a really good year. The highlight for me was leading one of my most-wanted-to-do routes and just flying up it. It's such a good feeling finally doing a route thats been on my to do list for ages. I like looking back at my UKC climbing diary for 2010 and seeing lots and lots of green squares.

2010 was also the year that I started winter climbing: its opened up a whole new area of climbing to me. Its also cost me a small fortune in new gear, but hey that's what a hobby is all about.

I also had my first proper climbing holiday, going to Costa Blanca for 16 days.

My lowpoint was losing my favourite sling. Did I mention my green sling? Sigh.

Life-wise, the usual mix of good and bad. And that's all I'm saying on the matter...

My work has gone really well. I'm on course to more than double my turnover compared to the year before, and I've had some really good projects to work on, one of which has led to my most interesting job. I would start it if the snow would bugger off!

I finally managed to get the patio laid in my garden after nearly 3 years of looking at it. Yay. Next up is getting the house done. I am meant to be prepping the walls now, but somehow I am drawn to UKC instead.

Somewhere in all this are some long-term objectives that I want to achieve. Time for 2011 to arrive?

Dauphin 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Jan/Feb Bermuda. Totally ripping. March until now back in the U.K. mostly suckology. Ran loads though. Which was nice.

Regards

D
adamtc 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: A mixed year. Climbed three times. All indoors. Got viral pneumonia and still haven't recovered.
On the other hand...we accidentally had a baby who has turned out to be awesome...despite myself! So on the whole I'm looking forward to the new year.
 climbingpixie 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - fairly abysmal tbh. Spent the first half of the year playing on my new mountain bike instead of climbing then I had surgery on my ankle in August and haven't done huge amounts since then. Highlights of the year have to be seconding my first ice route (Gordale last week) and leading the crux pitch of Albion 5 weeks after my ankle op.

Life - pretty darn good actually. I quit smoking in May after 15 years of the habit, gotten a lot fitter (though it doesn't feel that way at the moment with the 'death-cold' I'm suffering from) and discovered that I really quite like cycling. I survived a work restructure and ended up with an upgrade, and more recently had a big promotion at work, and I'm lucky enough to be in a job I really enjoy in a sector I think is worthwhile, helping to lift people out of fuel poverty and reduce carbon emissions. Oh, and I've been to see quite a few great bands this year and been to Alton Towers twice :-D
 Tom Last 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing highlights have been routes I really wanted to do in Scotland (Jack the Ripper, Diabaig Pillar) and Cornwall (Stone Boom, Bishop's Rib) etc. Most unexpectedly brilliant route I've done would be Waltzing Matilda near the Great Zawn. Done quite a few new routes this year too, so pretty pleased with them.
I've had two accidents in the last few months though, both of which have ended up with me in hospital and (will)necessitate a bit of a hiatus from climbing.

Generally a decent year. Went on holiday to Cuba and twice to Scotland, moved to Cornwall and have continued my run of luck with landing good jobs. The move down here has been good and bad though - not too many friends here and work too many hours, so not sure how long we'll stay in area/jobs. Only sad thing of the year was my last grandparent passing away - he's missed.
Other than that a pretty good year.

Looking forward to 2011, Scotland and Bermuda!
 1234None 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - a good year with the highlights being:

- Some great adventurous trad routes on suspect rock, but with good company and copious banter. Managed to finally get round to climbing on the Lleyn Peninsula and a few routes on Red Wall that'd been on the agenda for ages.
- Great sport trip to Ceuse in Summer with the usual chilled out Ceuse mornings lounging around on the campsite, plus successes and failures in roughly equal measure up at the crag.
- Managing to get to a few new crags in the USA while out here on business, including the amazing Red River Gorge, plus Rumney earlier in the year. Meeting some great people and visiting some proper "local's" crags along the way.
- First experience of the Himalayas with some climbing and trekking
- Topping all of the above: The Cheedale cornice was dry for a lengthy period - getting down there and ticking a few routes, having a laugh and enjoying a few beers afterwards in the Red Lion.

From a non-climbing perspective - a mixed year...
 fire_munki 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
Climbing wise: It was, good I started! Am now hooked and want to get outside.

Non climbing, it could have been better. Best not to say how otherwise I'll look insane.
 Marc C 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: I haven't really climbed at all this year - digressed into moorland wandering and wild swimming. At a personal level, I experienced several people close to me dying or having serious illnesses. I'm sure the 'not climbing' and the emotional sadness are connected, I sort of lost the will to climb? In fact, I'm thinking of writing an essay about how climbing is influenced by one's life-mood (either positively or negatively)
In reply to Marc C:

That sounds like it would be an interesting read. I can empathise at one level - the lifting of a seemingly perennial half-gloom from my life means that I've felt a bit freer with my climbing, perhaps less bound by a fear that had very little to do with climbing itself.
In reply to Tall Clare: A close friends illness. Being made redundant and my brothers death. I will be glad to see the back of 2010.
 Liam M 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Climbing has largely been non-existant. A bit of indoor stuff early in the year when I wanted activity but also to hide away from the coldness of winter. When the weather has been even vaguely good I've spent more time running or cycling, predominantly the former. I've done my first (and second) marathons, the 3 Peaks Fell Race and quite a few other races, and have generally felt myself becoming a stronger, more disciplined runner, which I like.

Personally I'm in a very different (and largely much better) place than I was at the start of the year. In March I got together with Helen, a fellow Kirkstall Harrier and ultra-running nut, who is just brilliant and seems to like me for the babbling fool I am. Also, having spent a significant part of it unemployed, I'm now finally in a job. This does have one issue though - it's a long way from Yorkshire and so I only get to see Helen at weekends.

I think this year is one I'll look back on fairly fondly.
 tombeasley 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: This year has been good the heighs great and the lows very low, got stronger, climbed harder concentrated on sport climbing and ticked the reasonable grade of 7b+. Enjoying the scene indoors at the moment and heading out at the weekend. Looking forward to 2011 and even more climbing!
 rossowen 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Good year. Not done a hugh amount of climbing but still managing to turn up and climb 6b/6b+ which has been the norm for the last couple of years. Really should get some training in. Done a bit of running including a few fell races, the Cardiff Half and countless runs over the local mountain with the dogs (Machen).

Great year lift-wise. Got engaged, expecing a little one in Feb, started a business, got staff (just one).. good stuff!
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'd like to wait until 1/1/2011 to post on this thread please. After the nightmare that was 2009, there's still plenty of time for this year to take a turn for the worse.
Removed User 13 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Climbing - Mostly bouldering although nursing a few injuries this year and a long term problem with one foot means its taken more of a back seat this year.

Rest of Life - more of a 'holding' year than breaking any boundaries, got some photographic work exhibited, put post grad stuff on hold till next year, pondering next moves for 2011 and quite what I want from it. Pleased that Tom has done well at University and continues to develop. 2010 has neither been bad or good just one of those filler years with a couple of high points and a couple of low points. More excited about next year and its potential
 tlm 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> Interesting how mostly people so far haven't had a great climbing year. Hmmm.

...but every year it's always the same - I never, ever get the amount done that I would like to, simply because so much other life also needs to be lived...

...and there is only so much improving anyone can do.

Climbing year: Fantastic, finally, for the first time ever in my climbing life, to have a decent local wall! Yippeeeeee!!! At last I get to only travel 10 minutes, instead of an hour. However, I am still as weak as a kitten. Very rainy trip to El Chorro early in the year, with only a couple of days which were climable, a cancelled trip to font, due to bad weather at Easter, good trips to Snowdonia, Hampi in India, and plenty of trips to the Peak. I just wish there was more time for more climbing, but I will have 2.5 months off over the summer in 2011, so there is hope for the future!

Rest: Finally got a new job - ace. Have the best husband in the whole world. Very busy, and my house is filthy.

Mike Stretford 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

>
> If so, please move along, nothing to see here.
>

Spoken like the kid who searches their parents bedroom and finds their presents 2 weeks before Christmas :0)
OP Tall Clare 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Papillon:

Eh?
Lady Jane Grey 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

My climbing this year has improved from a 6a+ to a 6b+ lead, this is of course, over the year and lots of dedication involved. Work has improved, getting a new position that allows me to be more flexible with time & allows me to get out & climb more. Relationship wise, well they come and go, the way I like it, if i'm being honest.
In reply to Tall Clare: Sorry, the way I read the title/content suggested an internal conflict which reminded me of a childhood episode.
ice.solo 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

trips to tibet, sichuan, xinjiang, K2 and hokkaido. little climbing in between, all training and recovery.

new apartment in tokyo, finally got married, ran several ultras, did little work, stopped putting sugar in my coffee. visa and insurance issues.

not too bad. next year looks like chaos.
In reply to Papillon:

Oh. No, it was more intended as a response to the people who'd say it was too early - like you, yesterday. You've revisited the thread today though, so I imagine you have stories you're burning to share.
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Papillon)
>
> You've revisited the thread today though, so I imagine you have stories you're burning to share.

Exactly.... but I know it will be so much better if I wait till after Christmas! Anyway, like I said it reminded me of something, maybe that's why I read it like that, wasn't being prickly.
In reply to Papillon:

I never did that searching thing, mind. I think I was too scared of my mum's wrath. That, and a still-held belief that she had/has psychic powers and would know...
In reply to Tall Clare: I never did, I'm a bit pedantic about saving things for what I think is the right time (you might have noticed), but my sister always did.... it's how I found out the truth at too early an age.
 anansie 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Years beginning : Stank like a big shite left lying oot in the sun.

Moving to years end: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! * boiiing boooiiing!*
 Dave C 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Psoriatic Arthritis has pretty much trashed the last 15 months as far as climbing goes. At its worst it would have taken me 10 minutes to type this far! Some fairly heavy-duty treatment has restored my fingers, wrists and shoulders (oddly the elbows were never badly affected) to some kind of working order so the new year will hopefully find me making some tentative steps back onto rock.
Other than that it's not been a bad year. Work has been a bit of a plod but Ms C has re-discovered here appetite for designing stuff and I'm now reading European History with the local version of the O.U. All attempts to reduce the backlog of unread books on the shelves here have been in vain as I find new ones as quickly as I get through them. Currently the pile is 29 books deep!!
 Alyson 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) A close friends illness.

Is that me?

Sorry for contributing to your bad year by almost exiting it halfway through. Next time we go climbing I'll examine you for grey hairs and work out which ones are my fault!

This year has been, overall, a nightmare from start to finish. While it has had some unforgettably good moments, the big picture has been unremittingly upsetting. I've not really been one for spilling too many beans on here but today I'm in a bean-spilling mood and, you never know, maybe it'll make me feel better.

The first disaster was in February when my husband broke his leg badly and had to have 2 operations then wear a godawful Ilizarov frame for 4 months. I had a long period of looking after him and every week I had to change all 28 dressings while trying to keep it sterile. We couldn't do any of the things we normally do like ride our bikes, walk up mountains, climb, go kayaking or go running - and some of those things he may never get to do again which is just horrible (although I think he only went running because he knew I liked it, so maybe he's secretly relieved!)

Some people may remember I had an operation at the back end of last year to remove a lump from near my ovaries, having developed some painful endemetriosis over the previous 12 months which really stopped me feeling quite myself and subdued my usual activity levels. Anyway, the operation hadn't actually stopped the endemetriosis so I was still in pain 50% of the time and in July, only about 6 weeks after my husband finally got rid of the dreaded frame, I developed a very nasty (and dangerous) infection. This, I should tell you, was pain like I've never experienced. Pain that made me throw up whenever I tried to move. I've broken bones before and not even needed a paracetamol, so believe me when I say this was a whole new level of agony.

I had an operation and then a cocktail of painkillers (which gave me nightmares and hallucinations like you wouldn't believe) and antibiotics while getting worse and worse. It took a week for the antibiotics to start bringing the infection under control and I was on them (2 different kinds) for 8 weeks in total. As you can imagine, the quantity of climbing, walking and all the other things I love in my life did not increase during this time!

The net result of all of this horror is that I may not be able to have children. I've another operation coming up in February to ascertain what state my ovaries are in after the infection but I am not hopeful. This is almost the worst thing of all. I'm not hopeful. I've always been hopeful. I've always been an optimist and always expected the best and now I'm not and I don't and I don't know how to cope without my happy comfort blanket of cheerfulness.

I think the realisation that it might not happen for me has really made me question everything else about my life. I've never thrown myself into a proper career because I've always thought I'd have children and I wouldn't want a job I couldn't give up or go part-time on. Now I'm in a situation where my job is unfulfilling and unchallenging and every tedious day is just like the last (except when I break the tedium up with trips to hospital). So I look at the house with its 4 bedrooms and the big mortgage which ties us to these jobs we don't like, the car on the drive and the furniture inside and wonder if I actually need any of it? What am I working towards if I can't have a family? I don't do anything at work which fulfils me or satisfies me intellectually. I do creative things in my spare time (photography mainly) but I'm at work 8 hours a day, it's the hugest part of my time. I don't want to look back in 30 years time and wonder what the hell I achieved.

I think I just want to know either way, so I can decide what I'm going to pursue and put my heart and soul into it. I dread carrying on trying and trying for children while suffering a series of heartbreaks over it, but then I dread not trying and regretting it later in life. I'm so, so miserable and I've just lost my support network a bit since I've been shifted into a different team at work and now spend every day with people I don't really get on with (or indeed like).

There have been other awful things about this year, such as my ferret dying and it being really quite terrible to watch, so I honestly can't wait for it to be over. Not that next year is looking a whole lot better so far.

Bet you're sorry you asked now Clare?

On the plus side I've written some poetry I quite liked, I've seen some beautiful things, I have good friends and I've been loved throughout.
 anansie 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Alyson:

Lordy but this tugged on my heart I hope yer ovaries are repairable, but if not, i would hope there were other routes you could go down with it....

I wish you both a lighter year next year with maybe a wee miracle or two, of sorts, chucked in for good measure as, man but you've had a tough one!

xx
 Eagle River 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Alyson:

Wow, after that I don’t think it right to post trivial details about my 2010.

I have someone close to me who has been unable to do any of the things she once enjoyed (fell running, climbing, cycling etc) for the last 6 months and won’t be able to do so in the near future and it appears to be impossibly frustrating.

Sincerely hope 2011 is better for you one way or another and you can start taking steps to make those big decisions that impact positively on your wellbeing.
In reply to Alyson:

Blimey. I could post something trite as a nod to sympathy but I don't really think it'd cut it.

Here's to next year hopefully being at least a bit better than this.
In reply to anansie:
> (In reply to Alyson)
I hope yer ovaries are repairable, but if not, i would hope there were other routes you could go down

While perfectly acceptable in todays enlightend society I don't think its possible to concieve that way.
In reply to Fawksey:

so, so wrong, Mr Fawkes...
In reply to Alyson: aye it was you halibut head x
 Alyson 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to anansie)
>
> While perfectly acceptable in todays enlightend society I don't think its possible to concieve that way.

Lol!! Thanks flounder brain, that made me laugh

Thank you everyone else for your kind words. I do feel a bit lighter for posting. I've been bottling things up a bit and surprisingly enough it doesn't help at all!
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Alyson: you will have mail very soon!
 Alyson 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Eagle River:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> I have someone close to me who has been unable to do any of the things she once enjoyed (fell running, climbing, cycling etc) for the last 6 months and won’t be able to do so in the near future and it appears to be impossibly frustrating.

My sympathies to her. It's hard to appreciate just how much you'll miss those things til you do actually lose them. Not just the activities themselves but the mental peace and the wellbeing they bring.
 Alyson 14 Dec 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to Alyson) you will have mail very soon!

Christmas present? That's very kind of you Mr Lewis, I didn't know you knew my address!
In reply to Alyson: what grey hair? I'm the Peter Pan of ukc! I never get any older.
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Ok, well probably been the bestest year in about a decade, sorry to all you who have not had a great one.

3rd Dec 2009 finally left the Church that had been the central part of our life for about 30 years. Tough choice, but in hindsight it has been the best decision ever made, but not so sure where I stand now regarding my faith.

Then in May, we found a new house 150 miles North that perfectly met with our plans and managed to do an ace deal on it including selling ours and moving just when we wanted to.

Upshot of these two things has been to climb far more than ever before, make and develop some really great friendships, particularly with my main climbing partner, and move my out door grade to within a wisker of my indoor grade. Had some of the best climbing experiences, including facing up to my own fear, on Fishers Folly, breaking the HVS ceiling and completing climbs previously that had defeated me.

December last year also saw me start to get fitter, which has been an amazing experience, 2 stone lighter, 12cm slimmer, cut out smoking and drinking during the week and loving what it has done for me. (Again climbing partner and a few awsome friends and contacts on here have been the greatest encouragers) Feel about 10 years younger, and full of life and expectations again.

Seeing the family and long suffering Mrs L settling in the new area has been great, the difficulties in 2008/9 had nearly cost us our marrage, and I cant tell you just how gratefull I am that it didn't get that far. Closer now than ever to them all.

A huge thank you to everyone who has been such a great friend to us this year, I have been really touched. You know who you are.

Love my Wife, family (including the new adopted ones) and friends

J xx
 Scarab9 14 Dec 2010
> December last year also saw me start to get fitter, which has been an amazing experience, 2 stone lighter, 12cm slimmer, cut out smoking and drinking during the week and loving what it has done for me. (Again climbing partner and a few awsome friends and contacts on here have been the greatest encouragers) >

er...no they're the ones being bad influences and getting you drunk :-p
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab9:
> [...]
>
> er...no they're the ones being bad influences and getting you drunk :-p

Tw*t, I'm quite capable of making my own decision to get drunk thankyou! ;-S
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Alyson) what grey hair? I'm the Peter Pan of ukc! I never get any older.

Nor, sadly, any wiser!

J
 Ava Adore 14 Dec 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)

including facing up to my own fear, on Fishers Folly,

...AND laughing your ass off at your second's "F*CK F*CK SH*T F*CK" stream of profanity. You know I'm only here to provide you with entertainment.
 Ava Adore 14 Dec 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) >
> >I have been really touched.

Oooh, who did that, then? It was that Bambi chap wasn't it?
 Only a hill 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
My year has been ace. The highlights:

1. Falling in love with a beautiful woman =)
2. Memorable and successful trips to Norway and the Alps
3. Making significant progress on my creative projects

Let's hope 2011 is even better!
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to John Lewis)
> [...]
>
>
> Oooh, who did that, then? It was that Bambi chap wasn't it?

a gentleman never says!
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> [...]
>
> including facing up to my own fear, on Fishers Folly,
>
>
> ...AND laughing your ass off at your second's "F*CK F*CK SH*T F*CK" stream of profanity. You know I'm only here to provide you with entertainment.

Ah yes knowing what they are going through once you completed it is lovley

J xx
 Scarab9 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:

while I have you permission to tramp around I'd like to point out that I haven't as yet put it into action...particularly with Mr Lewis. I shall endeavour to do so this weekend...again not with Mr Lewis!
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab9:
>
> while I have you permission to tramp around I'd like to point out that I haven't as yet put it into action...particularly with Mr Lewis. I shall endeavour to do so this weekend...again not with Mr Lewis!

As long as it never excesd you 7th day rule

Your OK but I could never date anyone taller than me, (or anyone other than Mrs L apparently ).

J x
 Scarab9 14 Dec 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to Scarab9)
> [...]
>
>
> Your OK but I could never date anyone taller than me,

Incidentally I discovered it's very difficult to dance to a swing band with a lass a lot smaller than me last night
 Ava Adore 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab9:
> [...]
>
> Incidentally I discovered it's very difficult to dance to a swing band with a lass a lot smaller than me last night

That's OK. Just means you have to buy her REALLLLLLY high heels
anyway, back to the thread...

I suspect it's some sort of effect whereby something has affected you so it seems more visible in general, but has the birth rate risen this year after that cold snap in January? There seem to be babies afoot everywhere.
 Scarab9 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Scarab9)
> [...]
>
> That's OK. Just means you have to buy her REALLLLLLY high heels

<obligatory pervey comments regarding this lass wearing just high heels>
 Ava Adore 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Scarab9:
> [...]
>
> <obligatory pervey comments regarding this lass wearing just high heels>

<mandatory slap for being a perv>
 John Lewis 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: BACK TO THE THREAD! CHILDREN!

TC please continue, it was a good thread.

J
 Scarab9 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to Scarab9)
> [...]
>
> <mandatory slap for being a perv>

an alarming number of threads/nights out end with that for some reason!

I put it down to your violent temperment

/rambling hijack of TC's thread
 Alyson 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: I've been seeing babies everywhere but like you suggest, I think it could be to do with me being hyper-aware of them. Also a lot of my friends are of 'that age' and while I am happy for each and every one of them I can feel it eating away at me. I can barely look on facebook any more because it's too damn depressing.
 fimm 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yes, it probably is too early. However seeing as this thread is here I will post on it (especially as I should be flying away in the middle of next week).

An unremarkable year; did very little climbing and not much more hillwalking but did have a spectacular weekend in Glen Affric at Easter. (I will remove myself to UKHillwalking as soon as it becomes avaiable!)

Did quite a bit of triathlon training (and managed to qualify for my Age Group for the World Duathlon Championships in Edinburgh last September, which was an experience). Happily living with the bloke, crewed him through his Double Iron Distance race in August. His new business is going OK so far. I have a new nephew.

Alyson, my sympathies. I had a friend who had endemetriosis - it was not good. I hope you are able to find hope, whatever that may mean for you.
 thomm 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:
It was a good year for my modest and occasional climbing, the highlights being a good winter trip to Scotland and a good summer trip to Chamonix (though the prized Forbes Arete still eludes). Favourite routes were Green Gully and the Papillons Arete.
It was a mixed year for my writing – I finished a novel and got an agent but as expected no publisher, and attempts at new projects have been disappointing but better than nothing. I’ve enjoyed health and freedom so any disappointments were of my own making, and other posts on this thread have put them in perspective.
B+, must do better: 2011 awaits.
 PontiusPirate 15 Dec 2010
In reply to Alyson:

I knew things had been bad, but I had no idea quite how bad they had been.

If it is worth anything, I truly, honestly, wish you all the luck in the world for next year, and thank you for your continuing creative inspiration (albeit a slightly vexatious inspiration given your 'habit' of realising photographic ideas that I happened to be mulling over, always before me and always to such a high standard!)

Seriously: take care, and, if nothing else, have a peaceful Christmas

PP.
 Bill J 15 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

A year of no climbing whatsoever, but one that has seen me experience a rollercoaster of intense emotions and feelings:

Loneliness
Despair
Depression
Resignation
Surprise
Confusion
Excitement
Intoxication
Obsession
Love
Uncertainty
Heartbreak
Regret
Sadness
Hope

Quite a year, really.
 Conf#2 15 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

It seems that in general '10 has been a tough one for many.

Best wishes and love to all.
 alasdair19 15 Dec 2010
In reply to all:
A year dedicated to mountaineering as a career so a fair bit got ticked. Highlight in every way was peuterey integrale on monte bianco. it was the last of my grande courses to start the BMG training scheme. I've been chasing these 5 routes for 5 consecutive summers. I think it's 41 weeks of my life all told

we topped out on our own at ten at night clagged in and snowing, We trotted down to the vallot and woke everyone up.

Fortunately fresh air and exercise is good for you. My wife who walked half of the french pyrenese GR while i was loafing around Cham was with sprog more or less immediately afterwards.

I'm very relieved not to have to put wifey thru any more big routes for a bit as I've never hidden the risks. there was probably less than 10 teams on the route this season and 1 fatality.

I then had to rescue my rockclimbing... which took many days effort, humble pie and embarrassment. but vector in nice cool conditions is a true joy to climb and Atlantis, True Moment, Freebird is a swine.

Only real downer is wifes diabetes which can cause some remarkable complications in pregnancy if not controlled. She has a demanding customer facing job so good control has required about 8 pinpricks every day.
 The Ivanator 15 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Part 1: Climbing. A good year, got outside quite a bit, met several good people through this site, didn't make spectacular progress grade wise, but that is not my main motivation. Did manage to lead a few HVS's which is a modest step forwards, but more importantly got to visit some beautiful new venues, Pembroke and Baggy Point were among the UK highlights.
Away from pure rock I managed a little North Wales Winter foray back in Feb. and have plans for this coming weekend too. 18 days in the Swiss Alps was the real treat though, even though the weather wasn't consistently kind, still did some big hills and some great multi pitch rock routes.

Part 2: Life beyond climbing ticked over OK on the whole, reading other people's posts I am so thankful to be in a loving marriage, have a rewarding (if demanding) job and live in a beautiful little cottage that I adore. The frustrations have been too little personal creativity (although I am working on a huge portrait of one of my climbing partners) and cheifly continuing failure and bad news on the starting a family front, but I guess you can't have everything.
Happy Christmas to you all, I hope 2011 is a joyful year in which many ambitions are realised!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...