UKC

Man eating dandelion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iknowfear 13 Feb 2018

seriously! its nice as a salad in spring!

toad 13 Feb 2018
In reply to iknowfear:

Are you taking the p***? Supposedly a diuretic!

russellcampbell 13 Feb 2018
In reply to iknowfear:

Man eating dandelion! A very dangerous breed.

marsbar 13 Feb 2018
In reply to iknowfear:

Also known in French as pissenlit, which translates as piss in the bed.  Don’t eat too many leaves. 

jcw 13 Feb 2018
In reply to marsbar:

I told my father after marrying my French wife that I'd been  eating dandelion salad when in France (young shoots with lardons).  He said that in Yorkshire when a boy it was referred to as piss-in-bed (cf the poster who said: 

> Also known in French as pissenlit, which translates as piss in the bed.  Don’t eat too many leaves. 

Ciro 13 Feb 2018
In reply to iknowfear:

Long after it's too old for salads, it's still good as a spinach replacement for saag aloo, especially when you can't be arsed taking the van into town for fresh vegetables on a rest day

richprideaux 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Ciro:

> Long after it's too old for salads, it's still good as a spinach replacement for saag aloo, especially when you can't be arsed taking the van into town for fresh vegetables on a rest day

Nettles (specifically the 'tops') are even better. Nettle lasagne using a spinach lasagne recipe also works very well.

richprideaux 13 Feb 2018
In reply to marsbar + toad:

I'm not sure how true this is, or how much of it came from rural folklore. Lots of wild and edible plants are diuretic so it's odd that dandelions (Dandelion->Dents de lion->Tooth of the Lion) got singled out. 

Dandelion coffee is bloody awful though in my opinion...

Clarence 13 Feb 2018
In reply to richprideaux:

> Dandelion coffee is bloody awful though in my opinion...

We had to make this as Venture Scouts, to be honest I would even drink Mellow Birds before I would drink dandelion coffee again.

Bob Kemp 13 Feb 2018

My great-aunt used to make a really nice nettle soup. 

OP iknowfear 13 Feb 2018

sounds about as good as acorn coffee (which was drunk during the WWII when coffee supply was short. apparently very much an aquired taste...) 

Post edited at 19:19
 Brass Nipples 13 Feb 2018
In reply to iknowfear:

Fern heads fired with chillies.

John Ww 13 Feb 2018

Loewenzahn (Lions’ Teeth) in German - just thought you might like to know

russellcampbell 14 Feb 2018
In reply to jcw:

> I told my father after marrying my French wife that I'd been  eating dandelion salad when in France (young shoots with lardons).  He said that in Yorkshire when a boy it was referred to as piss-in-bed. 

In 1950s in Scotland dandelions were known as "pee-the -beds." 

Phil Anderson 14 Feb 2018

Gorse flower tea's not bad though, and they seem to have arrived early this year.

Toerag 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Phil Anderson:

There's no such thing as early for gorse, it blooms all year round. The bush in the field by my house has been in bloom since before xmas.

Gorse wine is good

Phil Anderson 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> There's no such thing as early for gorse, it blooms all year round. The bush in the field by my house has been in bloom since before xmas.

> Gorse wine is good

I've never tried Gorse flower wine as I've heard it's hard to get right - well played to you for doing so!

As for flowering - we don't seem to be so lucky down here. I usually see it from late Feb through to maybe late May / early June. 

aln 16 Feb 2018
In reply to russellcampbell:

> In 1950s in Scotland dandelions were known as "pee-the -beds." 

I knew them by that name as a child in the early 70's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...