UKC

Outdoor kit that won't die!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Wife had a go at me this evening for going to the pub for a swifty in my 15 year old Rab Generator jacket. The zip's bust, so I slide it half-way up to hold it sort of closed. It has half a dozen different coloured patches in various places and the underneath of the right arm is pretty much all self adhesive parachute tape where I melted the sleeve on my Kelly kettle. But it is such a useful jacket (for times when I don't need a zip!)and I can't bring myself to part with it. What's your bit of clothing that refuses to die?

MG 15 Nov 2022
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Most of it is over 15! Climbing gear mostly 20-25.  A catastrophe when my 1980s sunhat was lost!

Billhook 15 Nov 2022

Until I gave it to a Ukrainian clothing appeal last year I still owned and used a ME insulated jacket which I bought about in the early 1980s.  

I still use a pair of karrimor Goretex overtrousers for taking the dog out in wet weather.  There's the odd leak in one knee & somke of the seam tape has fallen off, but otherwise they're OK. I bought those in 1983/84.

Post edited at 20:11
 Michael Hood 16 Nov 2022

Berghaus 30L rucksack from 1982/3 is my normal bouldering/wall sac. Originally my wife's (funny how my sac was always much bigger on holiday) but she's not used it for over 20 years (far too scruffy amongst other reasons) 😁

Just re-read the OP, rucksack isn't really clothing (bivi bag?) but what the hell...

Actually I have a "fruit of the loom" T shirt that seems to have lasted 30 years, Xmas present from agency (Rullion) when I used to be a contractor. Scruffy but useful because it's longer than normal so tucks in well if it's that weeny bit colder.

Post edited at 01:19

I have two Marmot jackets, a Troll Wall waterproof and Super Hero Softshell. Both ancient but both still working well.

snoop6060 16 Nov 2022

Im still well impressed with my rab vaporise. The only damage it has in over 15 years have been caused by falling off my bike wearing it. Which is fair enough. It’s battered but the zips all still work and it’s totally functional.  

abr1966 16 Nov 2022

I'm sat typing this in my 30+ year old Karrimor fleece jacket.....still going strong!!

Got a Berghaus fleece jumper almost as old which I still wear on the hill and a ME down jacket that's got to be 20+ years....used as an emergency jacket and stuffed in the bottom of the pack!

I like old kit....great value and built to last...!

I have a pair of long football/rugby socks bought for me by my mum when I started high school in 1981. Never played much school sport in them but they've seen me through scouts, hillwalking, fishing, kayaking, climbing and mine exploration and are still the best pair of socks I own (and still have name labels sewn in too)! 

wercat 16 Nov 2022
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I have a smock like the one in this picture.  (Smock, Combat 1960 pattern.)  It refuses to die and is amazingly windproof like a kind of gabardine.  If only I had the hood for it.

https://www.lastofthesummerwineshop.com/foggy-p55.html

ps I do not have a flat cap

Post edited at 17:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...