UKC

Prince Philip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 12 Nov 2017
Saw him on tv this morning at the Remembrance Day ceremony.
Sadly looking very frail now. Wonder how the Queen will cope when he passes away. I think maybe that's why she handed the wreath laying over to Charles so that she could be with him on the balcony.
 nastyned 12 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Do we get a day off when he dies?
 Trangia 12 Nov 2017
In reply to nastyned:

Why do you ask? Is there a precedent?
 ThunderCat 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Why do you ask? Is there a precedent?

We don't have precedents. Just Prime Ministers.

Boom Boom. I'm here all week.
 nastyned 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I'm sure we get one when the queen pops her clogs so I was just wondering.
Jim C 12 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

He does look frail, I would expect that if he makes it into the new year, there will be a clamour to pick him for next years Ghoul Pool

http://www.theghoulpool.com/
Lusk 12 Nov 2017
In reply to ThunderCat:

Get off!
< chucks rotten cabbage at the stage >

Trangia 12 Nov 2017
In reply to nastyned:

> I'm sure we get one when the queen pops her clogs so I was just wondering.

I think you are wrong. I don't recall Feb 6th 1952 being a public holiday, just a day of solemn music being played on the radio and people walking around with black arm bands. I suspect we will get endless News all day on radio and TV with a lot of programs being cancelled. As for black arm bands, I don't think anyone has or wears them these days.

I really can't remember if the day of the State Funeral was a public holiday, but day of the Coronation was.

So you will probably get a day off when Charles is crowned.

So far as I know, no precedent for the death of a Consort.
Jim C 12 Nov 2017
In reply to nastyned:

I'm retired, so unfortunately I will miss out on that day off .

I think us oldies should get something too to make up for losing out, any suggestions?
 nastyned 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I thought we'd get a day off for the funeral, but maybe it's just the subsequent coronation.
 pec 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> I think us oldies should get something too to make up for losing out, any suggestions?

Free bus passes and triple lock pensions, oh hang on . . .
 melocoton 12 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:

Not to forget free tv licenses (for what that’s worth!)
 The New NickB 12 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I’m not the biggest royal cheerleader, but I thought he looked pretty good for 96!
 sg 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> He does look frail, I would expect that if he makes it into the new year, there will be a clamour to pick him for next years Ghoul Pool

Indeed, looks sure to be a major league pick.
 JEF 12 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> I'm retired, so unfortunately I will miss out on that day off .

> I think us oldies should get something too to make up for losing out, any suggestions?

No VAT on Tenna pants
 petenebo 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> I'm retired, so unfortunately I will miss out on that day off .

Trebles all round!
Jim C 13 Nov 2017
In reply to petenebo:

> Trebles all round!

Nah , I don't drink.
 Big Ger 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

I'll have yours then...
Jim C 13 Nov 2017
In reply to JEF:

> No VAT on Tenna pants

I'm ok for now, still taking the tablets, they seem to be working, for the moment .
Jim C 13 Nov 2017
In reply to pec:
> Free bus passes and triple lock pensions, oh hang on . . .

I'm only 58 Pec ( retired early) so no free bus pass for me yet, and it may well not be there in two years time the way things are going, and as for the state old age pension, it may be triple locked , just now, but I have 8 years to go before I get that too.
( again if it is still there, never mind triple locked. )
Alas, I was in the private sector, so no gold plated index linked employers pension either. ( I should have joined the police back in the 70s )

What I need is a treat in the here and now ( or whenever it is she croaks it, or at least hands Charlie the crown to give everyone else a day off, )
Post edited at 02:33
Jim C 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Big Ger you are more than welcome to my share of that vile poison.
( but I don't mean that unkindly
 DaveHK 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

That warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing it's not you that's dead?

In reply to mypyrex:

Is it just me that thinks this is in bad taste?

I'm not particularly a royalist, but you are talking casually about someone's life.
 Denzil 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Jim C:

> I'm only 58 Pec ( retired early) so no free bus pass for me yet, and it may well not be there in two years time the way things are going,

You certainly won’t get it at 60 - it moves up with women’s retirement age. I got it at 62 two years ago.
 jcw 13 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

It wasn't it was my 18th birthday and I remember the news coming in. I've since realised that those in the know knew the King was seriously ill, but there was nothing in the public domain: consequently it came as a total surprise. Re consorts, presumably the precedent would have been Prince Albert.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...