UKC

Royal Trump visit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doz 31 May 2019

Anyone going to meet and greet ?

If he shows his arse north of the border I'll certainly be out to give him a traditional welcome....

Post edited at 21:33
 Yanis Nayu 31 May 2019
In reply to doz:

Vile piece of shit. Him, not you...

Dax H 31 May 2019
In reply to doz:

Nope, the entire country could turn out and moon him and he would claim its because people love him. I would love to see no one turning up, the cavalcade going down empty streets would be hard to spin. 

OP doz 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Dax H:

Like the vision

But then again some messages are hard to put positive spin on

https://twitter.com/imid/status/1018136370131456000/photo/1

Trangia 01 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

Well, at least Trump has saved the Tories a leadership election.

He has spoken and chosen Johnson.

OP doz 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Guess he feels comforted by matching body type

Rog Wilko 01 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

I've long thought the best welcome for this man would be tens of thousands lining the route all facing away from the road and in utter silence.  Hard to see how anyone could spin that.

Rog Wilko 01 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

Also, just wondering what the response would be if a British PM advised in public on who should be next Potus and who his main cabinet members should be. Can't imagine it would be a friendly one.

angry pirate 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Aye, but he is leader of the free world and biggly intelligent so we'd probably best listen!

Mark Bannan 01 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

Hi Patrick! Looks like you are going to help increase the price of eggs!

Personally I am not able to remember such an evil, mendacious and revolting elected Head of Government in the last 40 years or so.

Hopefully the current legal action against our own Trump clone (sounds like a name for fart spray!) will be successful.

elsewhere 01 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

Pity we can't invite the USS John McCain to visit. The Whitehouse wanted the US warship hidden during Trump's visit to Japan.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/uss-john-s-mccain-scandal...

Pete Pozman 02 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

He has chosen Boris, of course, but he's claimed others have asked for his endorsement. I wonder if he knows who these "others" are or how many they might be. I think all the Tory leadership candidates should be asked if they've approached Trump for his support; after all he says they have, so it must be true. 

Dave Garnett 02 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

I’m rather looking forward to his visit.  If he keeps gushing over Farage, Johnson and Brexit maybe all isn’t lost after all.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I’m rather looking forward to his visit.  If he keeps gushing over Farage, Johnson and Brexit maybe all isn’t lost after all.

If I've learnt anything over the last few years it's not to underestimate these populist buffoons - for some reason (that I'd love to be enlightened about) they strike chords with massive swathes of the voting population.

Is it really as simple as "He's a bit bigoted, like me! At last, a non PC politician!"

It makes me wonder if these populists in the public eye who manipulate hate speech into something more palatable aren't actually the problem so much as the millions of slightly antisocial voters who prop them up.

The question is, how do you re-educate a nation?

DaveHK 02 Jun 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> The question is, how do you re-educate a nation?

​​​​​​That's the problem right there. The masses don't want re-education, they're sick of university educated politicians telling them they need it so when someone pops up who speaks their language and validates their views they flock to the banner.

Post edited at 11:30
In reply to DaveHK:

> ​​​​​​The masses don't want re-education, 

The phrase "happy as pigs in sh*t" springs to mind.

Edit: I'm on about xenophobes, not you.

Post edited at 11:24
 wercat 02 Jun 2019

> The question is, how do you re-educate a nation?

Germany, post 1945?

In reply to wercat:

> Germany, post 1945?

I'd argue that that was a little late! But I'd be interested in how they did it.

elsewhere 02 Jun 2019

I think the re-education happened in 1945 when unlike 1918 the  German army was defeated on German soil for everybody to see.

wercat 02 Jun 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

I think it was still going on in 1971 when we had a party of German boys spending a few weeks at our school.  They were the ones who weren't still fighting WWII!

elsewhere 03 Jun 2019
In reply to doz:

@realDonaldTrump, we read the story about the sailors on a US warship being ordered to hide from you because you’re triggered by the name on their hats. So we turned Madame Tussaud's into a giant USS John McCain baseball cap. Welcome to London!

— Led By Donkeys (@ByDonkeys) https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1135557720030027776

Post edited at 22:48
 Tringa 04 Jun 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

The problem with the visit is that as a leader of a nation he should be given consideration and accorded the usual courtesies.

However, I think most previous presidents of the USA have known the welcomes/courtesies/respect/considerations given to them are because they were the President. I could be wrong but I feel Trump thinks such considerations are being given to him personally. I hope nothing could be further from the truth.

I think some, maybe most, other presidents have looked to see what they can bring to the office, I think Trump looks to see how much being president can bring to him.

I was interested to hear the Trump says he was approached by some of the other candidates for the Tory leadership, for an endorsement. However, none of the other candidates have refuted the claim. Does that mean some of them really did ask Trump to endorse them?!

Dave

elsewhere 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Tringa:

> The problem with the visit is that as a leader of a nation he should be given consideration and accorded the usual courtesies.

That's for the official government welcome.

> I was interested to hear the Trump says he was approached by some of the other candidates for the Tory leadership, for an endorsement. However, none of the other candidates have refuted the claim. Does that mean some of them really did ask Trump to endorse them?!

I suspect none have sought his endorsement so I suspect the Tory leadership candidates are showing courtesy by ignoring Trump rather than saying Trump is a liar.

Pete Pozman 06 Jun 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> I suspect none have sought his endorsement so I suspect the Tory leadership candidates are showing courtesy by ignoring Trump rather than saying Trump is a liar.

That's how he gets away with it. All his life. 

Post edited at 23:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...