UKC

Squaddies with beards....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 05 Dec 2023

I recall getting a serious boll###ing for missing a millimetre or 2 of facial hair....plus extra miles for everyone else!!

Are things changing for the better?

sandrow 05 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Who gives a flying...

Ridge 05 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Bit of a no-no unless they're a Farrier IIRC?

Think beards were allowed in sandy places to match local traditions and lack of any CBRN threat.

TobyA 05 Dec 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> Bit of a no-no unless they're a Farrier IIRC?

As in a horse shoer? Why were they allowed them?

> Think beards were allowed in sandy places to match local traditions and lack of any CBRN threat.

I remember hearing American military types laughing about Brits for having long hair up top, but having to shave it all off the face. I think they were jealous of Prince Harry's Afghanistan mop, when their hair had to be all 'high and tight'.

Wasn't it when special forces first went into Afghanistan that they were first allowed to grow beards to stand out a bit less? Hairy faces always seemed an 'operator' thing, or at least a wannabe-operator thing with all the contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan after that - at least with Americans.

Ridge 05 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> As in a horse shoer? Why were they allowed them?

To protect their faces crawling into bushes to lop a hoof (complete with serial number) off a dead horse so it could be handed in to get a new horse issued. (Or some other archaic thing still in the King's Regulations because of the Army's obsession with horses above everything else).

a crap climber 05 Dec 2023
In reply to Ridge:

A pioneer sergeant is also allowed to have a beard. No idea why, just one of those odd traditions. I've only ever seen anyone in that role grow one for a specific parade etc.

Beards were allowed for a period in Afghanistan, supposedly as they're seen as a sign of masculinity by the local population so clean shaven soldiers would be viewed as just being children. The army changed it's mind though and went back to having everyone clean shaven. They started getting a bit worried about soldiers looking scruffy and unprofessional and developing a bit of a Vietnam vibe so dress regulations started being enforced very strongly around 2010 ish iirc. There were a few exceptions on beards for psy ops types and liaison people etc.

Special forces generally do their own thing too. Gotta make sure everyone knows you're an operator.

Arms Cliff 05 Dec 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

Amazing reading about these things, I see that you get a ‘stout apron’ as a Pioneer Sergent too, to protect your uniform. 

Apparently a Goat Major is also allowed a beard, that was a new rank on me! 

supersteve 05 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

My grandfather was a POW in WW2. When captured he was allowed back to his tent to fetch personal belongings. He left his shaving kit behind as he liked the idea of growing a beard - it was his biggest regret. Being able to have a clean shave each day as a POW was a luxury he had to live without for months. 

CantClimbTom 05 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Isn't the pioneer Sargent required to have a beard?

I think the French have an equivalent too?

Post edited at 18:54
 wercat 05 Dec 2023
In reply to Ridge:

and of course members of the LRDG long ago

Strife 08 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

The RAF are allowed beards, so are the Navy (but not the marines). It's only a matter of time before the no beard policy relaxes in the Army. Anything to help with recruitment and retention

JohnO1978 08 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Saw a squaddie at a service station yesterday complete with a Royal Engineers cap badge on his helicopter landing pad beret. 

As much as I don't have an issue with beards it doesn't look right! 

One less incentive now though to "sign off, get out and grow a beard". 

Had a beard myself for the last 7 years when I finally accepted I was civvie and there no requirement to shave every single day.

nufkin 09 Dec 2023
In reply to JohnO1978:

>  I finally accepted I was civvie and there no requirement to shave every single day.

For me it's the sack and crack that are most relieved 

deepsoup 09 Dec 2023
In reply to nufkin:

> For me it's the sack and crack that are most relieved

Crikey.  I had no idea that the rules about squaddies' personal grooming were so strict.

martynlj 10 Dec 2023
In reply to Strife:

Given that a beard presents an issue when wearing a respirator I doubt that the no beard policy will change for combatants.

a crap climber 10 Dec 2023
In reply to martynlj:

Anecdotally it's possible to pass a respirator fit test with a beard with the General Service Respirator which has been on issue for over ten years now I think. It's used by the Navy, RAF and police who allow beards. Besides, anyone going into a CBRN environment is probably just going to shave anyway, it's not like you don't get any warning that you might need to use a respirator.

JohnO1978 11 Dec 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

Hopefully that never happens again, early days of Op Telic 1 when we were in 4 Romeo in that desert heat I wouldn't wish on anyone. 

In the meantime I continue to be a civvie with a beard and "paying thousands" for things I used to do for free in the military. 

stani 11 Dec 2023
In reply to abr1966:

I saw a copper with a 'top knot' the otherday and felt disappointed......

He looked like a B/E imo.... 

Post edited at 10:26
 Ridge 11 Dec 2023
In reply to JohnO1978:

> Hopefully that never happens again, early days of Op Telic 1 when we were in 4 Romeo in that desert heat I wouldn't wish on anyone. 

I raise you 4 Romeo in Otterburn to avoid the midges…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...