UKC

Things to do in Bruges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 19 Jun 2013
I was given a day trip to Bruges as a Christmas present. The trip (by coach) goes this coming Saturday. I gather we get around 5-6hrs in Bruges, with the possibility of a guided tour of the city at the start (not sure about this).

What would you suggest seeing/doing on a day trip to Bruges? I've heard that the Chocolate Museum is worth a look, and of course there's the Clock Tower and Canal Trips, but what else is a 'must see/do'?

Thanks.
 balmybaldwin 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

You need to find two manky hookers and a racist dwarf
 tspoon1981 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: There are a lot of alcoves in the Astridpark. You use this word, alcoves?
 PeterM 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

Avoid bell towers if you're rotund....
 EeeByGum 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: I am jealous. I would love to go to Bruges. I believe it is one of those quaint old cities so for me, just pottering about, drinking a a few Belgium beers and eating chocolates and fries whilst taking in the atmosphere would make for a very satisfactory day out.
OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to tspoon1981: Alcove - a small hole or niche in a wall?
OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to PeterM: I'm not rotund, but am aware of the consequences for someone who may be
OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: I've been to Bruges before, but that was about 15years ago, and I had a group of around 30+ kids with me, so not exactly a relaxing day out!

I like the idea of pottering around eating fries and chocolates (not at the same time though), and I gather the waffles should be tried too. I'll leave the beer alone though, I don't drink. If I remember to take my camrea, and remember to take any pictures with it, I'll maybe post a link for you!
 ripper 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: if you have a gay friend, buy him a gay beer - but have a proper one yourself. And don't hit any Canadians.
 EeeByGum 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: Cool. I nearly took the missus before we had sprog number two but flights / transfers would have been a mighty faff. It never occurred to me to go my coach although I would imagine that is quite a slog from Manchester.
 ebygomm 19 Jun 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

You can do overnight ferry trips from Hull fairly cheaply, 2 nights on the ferry with the day in between spent in Bruges
 ThunderCat 19 Jun 2013
In reply to ebygomm:

going there with mrs TC in september. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

As long as I can have a big gay beer, I'll be happy.

OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to ripper: I do, but he won't be coming with me. I dont drink, so won't be having any beer myself, and I've no particular desire to hit a Canadian, so I should be safe!
 lummox 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.
 Blue Straggler 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

She is not the "reception girl", she is the co-owner with her husband. And my friend is....er....a....er......COCK
OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: I have no idea what you're on about, are you posting on the right thread, or in reply to the right person?
In reply to owlart:

I am posting in the same spirit as five others on this thread, none of whom you have jumped on!
 Mike Stretford 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: You can't sell horse tranquilizers to a midget!
OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Everyone else's post seems to have had some reference to Bruges, and either trips to it, or things to see/do whilst there. Maybe you could enlighten me what relevance to Bruges your posting was, so I could understand what you're on about?
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Everyone else's post seems to have had some reference to Bruges

ripper's and balmybaldwin's included?!
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to owlart)
> [...]
>
> ripper's and balmybaldwin's included?!

And now Papillon's? Those are all Bruges-specific to you?
 skog 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler and owlart:

You two are weird. Would you like some cocaine?
OP owlart 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: Ok, so there's clearly some sort of in-joke going on in this thread that I'm not aware of. Very clever, I'm sure, pat yourselves on the back and b*gger off to another thread unless you've got something actually helpful to say.
 graeme jackson 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart: probably best if you watch 'In Bruges' with brendan gleason and colin farrell. All might become clear (and you'll have seen a cracking movie to boot)
 LastBoyScout 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

Go watch the film "In Bruges" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/?ref_=sr_1

I've been there twice, and I don't remember anything to do there - although the last time I was mainly occupied with fishing Venture Scouts out of the fountains!
 lummox 19 Jun 2013
In reply to skog: I think they might be on ketamine
In reply to owlart:

I went there on a day trip from Brussels in 1997. I had no guidebook or anything. I just wandered around looking at canals and went up the clock tower, I did not go to the chocolate museum. There are plenty of information plates all around, it is very tourist/visitor-oriented. I don't know of anything "essential" to there. It's like going around Lincoln or something.

And don't watch "In Bruges" which we've all referenced to your apparent petulant disgust. It is sweary, violent and very funny. You would not like it.
 Ramblin dave 19 Jun 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to owlart)
>
> Go watch the film "In Bruges" - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/?ref_=sr_1
>
> I've been there twice, and I don't remember anything to do there - although the last time I was mainly occupied with fishing Venture Scouts out of the fountains!

We were mainly occupied with beer, I think.

But generally it's just a very nice place to wander around. Have a map, but follow your nose. The Beguinage is a nice thing to look at on a quick visit, too:
http://www.in-bruges.co.uk/beguinage-in-bruges/beguinage-in-bruges.html
 ajsteele 19 Jun 2013
In reply to skog:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler and owlart)
>
> You two are weird. Would you like some cocaine?

Best reply yet, marrying the film and the thread!

EeeByGum 19 Jun 2013
In reply to ebygomm:

> You can do overnight ferry trips from Hull fairly cheaply, 2 nights on the ferry with the day in between spent in Bruges

Yeah - I think that is the problem. I rather envisaged two nights in Bruges. I'm not saying that ferries aren't nice places to be but...
 PeterM 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to owlart) You can't sell horse tranquilizers to a midget!

- very important this, so don't do it.

skog 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

http://www.dreamsofmountains.co.uk/belge2006/belge2006.htm (about 3/4 of the way down).

There are some nice museums, some nice canals, some nice towers, some nice windmills, some other nice buildings, and some nice ducks.

Seriously, I'd just wander around a bit, soak it up, and enjoy some food and drink. Or just food, if you don't drink. It's a pleasant place, and worth a visit, but not somewhere I'd rush back to.

The guided tour might actually be worth doing.
pasbury 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

You have unintentionally made this the funnyest thread on here in ages. Thanks.
 ripper 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to owlart) Ok, so there's clearly some sort of in-joke going on in this thread that I'm not aware of. Very clever, I'm sure, pat yourselves on the back and b*gger off to another thread unless you've got something actually helpful to say.

If you wanted a conversation with a c*nt, you could have gone to the conversation with a c*nt shop!

(for those who bothered to watch the extras on the DVD)
fxceltic 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to ripper) I do, but he won't be coming with me. I dont drink, so won't be having any beer myself, and I've no particular desire to hit a Canadian, so I should be safe!

you are going to Bruges and you do not drink?

Its a wasted trip mate, as the beer is brilliant there and a big part of what its all about.

In any event still do the brewery tour, the guides are amusing. The bell tower is cool, and otherwise just a wander round the canals is very nice.

Maybe consider taking up drinking?
 blurty 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

the Henry Maas brewery tour is good. (You get a free pint at the end, hide in the toilets then join the follow on tour, etc, until you get chucked out!)
 earlsdonwhu 19 Jun 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to owlart)
>
> You need to find two manky hookers and a racist dwarf

We went to Bruges on a Sixth form trip.... one of my mates was 'rescued' from a prostitute's bed by Mr Allinson. I never knew which of the trio was most upset!

tspoon1981 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to tspoon1981) Alcove - a small hole or niche in a wall?

There are not many people around in these alcoves at Christmas time. If I were to murder a man I would murder him here. Are you sure this is the right word, alcoves?
 Billhook 19 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

Bruge is a fantastic city. Its stuffed with cathedrals which rival any in the UK including one with a famous leonardo painting it - The adoration of Christ. The chocolate museum is one of many museums..
Its stunningly beautiful and from Hull it's only £78 or so if you go midweek and for that you get two nights on board and a day out in the City.
 humptydumpty 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Dave Perry:
> (In reply to owlart)
>
> Bruge is a fantastic city. Its stuffed with cathedrals which rival any in the UK including one with a famous leonardo painting it - The adoration of Christ.

It's a fairytale town
 PeterM 19 Jun 2013
In reply to humptydumpty:

Brilliant!
ice.solo 20 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:

spent a day in bruges once, the weather was bad but i recall it being pleasantly dull. no feeling i was missing anything.
the people are nice and chatty i thought, the coffee good, feels international (everyone seems to flip between 5 langages fluently). europe at its most functional. good place to talk politics if thats your thing.
 birdie num num 20 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:
I believe you can spend a highly interesting afternoon watching folk make lace.
 Exocet 20 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:
hi Owlart. Please tell us that you have finally watched the film.
 SteveoS 20 Jun 2013
In reply to owlart:
Beer, waffles and chips. Then go to the Friet Museum. Not really much there tbh, but the boat rides are alright if you're with a lady/man friend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...