UKC

When fridges die

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jon 17 Feb 2021

Our fridge hadn't been well over the last month or so - the motor would come on more and more frequently and for longer and longer, and it was starting to get very noisy... until yesterday when I was suddenly aware of silence. A warm glass of rosé confirmed that it had indeed stopped working altogether. It's not that old - maybe eight years.

To those who know about these things, is it likely something that can easily be fixed or is the cost of fixing/getting it fixed going to be as much as replacing it with a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Garnett 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

>  A warm glass of rosé

I hate it when that happens - this sounds urgent! 

Removed User 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

If it's just a fridge, and the motor has gone, then it's unlikely to be economic to repair - fridges are cheap.

Getting it fixed is much kinder to the environment though...

FactorXXX 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

Sounds like the compressor has failed and changing that will involve removing the refrigerant, fitting a new compressor (if possible?) and then recharging the system with the correct ammount of the same refrigerant.
Sounds like a new fridge is the easier option...

Jamie Wakeham 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

> Getting it fixed is much kinder to the environment though...

Depends.  Fridges have become so much more efficient in the last decade or so that it might be better to replace, as long as you replace with the most efficient one you can lay your hands on.  Back in something like 2008, I replaced an (admittedly ancient) fridge with a really good Miele, and my electricity consumption dropped overnight by 25%!

If only 8 years old, though, it's probably already quite good.  I'd compare how the cost of the energy you can save by getting a new one with the likely cost of a repair.

gravy 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Unlikely to be an economic repair.

I have had a semi-posh fridge repaired when a thermostat and fan failed but that was definitely still getting cold (and freezing my lettuce).

Toerag 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

> Our fridge hadn't been well over the last month or so - the motor would come on more and more frequently and for longer and longer, and it was starting to get very noisy...

I'm wondering if it's simply lost its gas through a poor joint or pinhole and can be repaired.  Ask on your favourite big local FB group if anyone does repairs in your locality.

Steve Clegg 17 Feb 2021
In reply to gravy:

freezing my lettuce

Aye but it was iceberg!!

Rick Graham 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

Agree with others above and probably just best to get another one.

Three  possible  fixes that have worked for me .

Check for any blocked drainage holes that might fill a small container hidden at the bottom back of the fridge.

Switch the fridge off. Leave a day. Switch it back on.

Switch off the fridge , turn it upside down for a day. Turn it right way up. Leave a day. Switch on.

Edit.

Delete quick , trying all three will take the best part of a week .

Post edited at 16:46
 Dax H 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

Leave it off for a day then try it. Some have a resettable temperature switch so have a look at the pipework and press anything obvious (with the power off) then try it, if it has a switch that tripped it might be nothing and run for years more or it may trip again. 

Repair wise, a new compressor is about £80 plus vat, maybe £30 or £40 in gas. There may be leaks in the pipework that need repairing. Then the time taken to fix it, for industrial refrigeration the going rate is £50 to £80 per hour (plus vat), for domestic I don't have a clue. 

If it won't reset bin it and buy a new one. If you can't fit the old one in your car to go to the tip pay whoever sells you the new one to remove the old one. Once upon a time you could leave one on the street and our traveling section of society would take it but scrap yards won't touch them now. Too much insulation, not enough metal and the gas regulations to deal with. 

pec 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

Whacking the compressor on the back with a hammer sometimes gives fridges a new lease of life. If all else fails maybe worth a try before binning it?

OP jon 17 Feb 2021

I think the consensus is bin it, which confirms my thinking. I did try switching it on again today but no luck. Besides, I've gone off the idea of restoring it to its old noisy self. New one it is. Thanks.

Post edited at 20:40
OP jon 17 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> >  A warm glass of rosé

> I hate it when that happens - this sounds urgent! 

We just went straight to the red. The rosé's now in the garage, which is degrees colder at the moment than the fridge was.

alx 17 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

Perhaps take it out back, bury it and get a new one before the kids notice?

gethin_allen 18 Feb 2021
In reply to jon:

A slight thread hijack, but very much linked. Our fridge is showing the signs of failing with the compressor running much more frequently and for longer periods.

Does anyone know, or could give an estimate, how much more electricity this is likely to use? I'm just wondering at what point we buy a new one, do we continue until the dreaded "warm rose" incident happens to us or just buy a new one now?

OP jon 18 Feb 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Ha, I'm not listening to any answers - we just ordered a new one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...