UKC

Nowt but a Fleein' Thing 27m E8 {F8a(hard!)}

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stu Tyrrell 24 May 2005
NEWS NEW ROUTE - Nowt but a Fleein' Thing 27m E8 {F8a(hard!)}
Wild! Protection is mainly peg runners though a Friend and wire were placed low down. The pegs are shallow on the middle section. Start at the toe of the buttress.
(6c). Climb easily to a crack beneath a peg runner. Follow the steep crack until hard moves lead to a rest in a groove. Pull out left (peg runners), then back right onto a hanging slab with difficulty (peg runner). Move up more easily to a peg belay. It is possible to continue to the top (Severe) but this is loose and it is better to abseil from the belay.
David Birkett, 14th May 2005
Most gear pre-placed.
 SC 24 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Where is it?
OP Stu Tyrrell 24 May 2005
In reply to SC: This crag lies on the Wasdale Screes, up and left of Low Adam Crag, and can be reached in 1 hour from the Youth Hostel. It is easily recognised by its ferocious-looking overhangs.

In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
WASDALE Un-named Crag (161 049 approx)
Having seeen the great pictures by K.Magog, whos going for the repeat?

ffing hard or wot!

SC 24 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

djviper for the first repeat followed by Imprisoned Climber.
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: You could be right - I think J.Dunne whn he is fit again?

StonedDeranger 24 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Why didn't you post the link? There're some nice pictures.
 tony 24 May 2005
In reply to StonedDeranger:

you mean this one:
http://www.frcc.co.uk/rock/newroutes/newroutes/latest.htm

Looks mean!
In reply to StonedDeranger: I think it will be on the UKC News page soon??

Dont want to get this thread pulled.

Stu
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: It is!
James Jackson 24 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Stunning.
 Ropeboy 24 May 2005
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to StonedDeranger)
>
> you mean this one:
> http://www.frcc.co.uk/rock/newroutes/newroutes/latest.htm
>
> Looks mean!

Wow, now that's a route.

J
 LakesWinter 25 May 2005
In reply to Ropeboy: Wild! Big respect to the man
Bon effort, and if that photo doesn't make it onto the front cover of a climbing magazine next month then someone needs shooting...
Kurt 25 May 2005
In reply to The Flying Giraffe:

Is it just me, or is fr.8a not hard.
 GrahamD 25 May 2005
In reply to Kurt:

I suspect he means its hard for an 8a or he is saying 8a climbing is hard for an E8? Its not like he's a stranger to climbing at this level, is it ?
Kurt 25 May 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

I'm actually refering to the fact that people think that an Fr. 8a is 'news' or something wild and cool.

There are 16 year old kids in france who solo 8a in approach shoes.
 Swig 25 May 2005
In reply to Kurt:

With bolts rather than dodgy pegs.
OP Stu Tyrrell 25 May 2005
In reply to Kurt: They can have the repeat, its free!
In reply to Kurt: It is when your run out above marginal protection on an E8!

The kids are bolt clipping.
 GrahamD 25 May 2005
In reply to Kurt:

But its not a 8a route, is it ? its an E8.
Anonymous 25 May 2005
In reply to Kurt:

Tell you what, Kurt, the first time this is soloed in approach shoes you can have my girlfriend. I won't even insist on watching.

jcm
 Alun 25 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
Maybe Kurt would like to team up some of his 16-year old french kids with Djviper, I've heard Indian face is only F7c/+!
 Paul Atkinson 25 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: "Nowt but a Fleein' Thing" where's that quote from? I'm sure I remember reading it in the past as having been said to one of the pioneers by an astounded local shepherd lookimg at their prospective route or something. Good to see the locals still performing at the front of ther pack

cheers, Paul
 huwtj 25 May 2005
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
"Nowt but a Fleein' Thing" where's that quote from?

see here:
http://www.frcc.co.uk/rock/newroutes/newroutes/latest.htm

it's from: George Seatree, “Lakeland Memories” (R Scott, Penrith, 1923)
 Andy Farnell 25 May 2005
In reply to GrahamD: I think Dave is saying the climbing on it is hard 8a, not quite 8a+, and worth E8 due to the run-outs and gear.

Andy F
Kurt 25 May 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Kurt)
>
> Tell you what, Kurt, the first time this is soloed in approach shoes you can have my girlfriend. I won't even insist on watching.
>
> jcm

Oh god would it be funny if this came to pass....

Mr. Mysterious, I'm planning another Grit trip this fall. Be cool if we could hook up so you could make me eat my words about Egrades
In reply to Kurt:

Any chance you could change the record Kurt? This troll/showing off act from you gets a bit tedious after the 15th time in a year.

Yes, we're all crap in the UK, Dave Birkett is a numpty, and you, indeed all Canadians, are climbing gods - Happy now?

Please feel free to contribute more interesting stuff to our humble forums. It would be great to have some positive contributions from a top climber such as yourself.

polished_circus 25 May 2005
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Looks like a lot of preplaced gear in the photos... pinkpointing in other words. When's it going to get a proper redpoint?
Kurt 25 May 2005
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

Oh Jonathan, don't get all upset. It's only a half troll as I do find the Egrades silly and trumped up to glorify bold ascents of routes with relatively moderate difficulty.

I'm allowed to find it silly.

You're allowed to find my obnoxious. Doesn't bug me much.

K
OP Stu Tyrrell 26 May 2005
In reply to Paul Atkinson: 'On that second visit we enquired of Auld Will (Will Ritson, Landlord of the Wasdale Head Inn) if he knew of a climb we had done to the right of Mickledore which led to the top of Scafell. (The course has since been known as the North, or Penrith Climb.)
“No,” was the reply, “an’ if it’s t’ seeam pleeace as Aa mean Aa doan’t think ye’ve been up. Nowt but a fleein’ thing cud git up theer.” Then he blurted out, “What’s makkin’ ye fellas fash yer’sels seea mich aboot climmin’ t’ crags? Isn’t t’ fells big eneugh for ye?'
George Seatree, “Lakeland Memories” (R Scott, Penrith, 1923)
 Chris Fryer 26 May 2005
In reply to polished_circus: It's there mate, feel free to have a go if you think you're hard enough. If you check the link it says most of the gear was preplaced, alot of it shallow pegs.
 Chris Fryer 26 May 2005
In reply to Kurt: Surely you meant to say "relatively moderate physical difficulty"?
G Graham 26 May 2005
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:
Jonathan
To be fair, he did say kids in France...
I also object to your generalisations about Canadians. I can confirm at least one is really really crap.

Kurt - I'm off tomorrow if you want to meet at Wasdale. You bring the 16 year olds.
Foxy 27 May 2005
In reply to Kurt:
> (In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC)
>
> Oh Jonathan, don't get all upset. It's only a half troll as I do find the Egrades silly and trumped up to glorify bold ascents of routes with relatively moderate difficulty.
>
> I'm allowed to find it silly.
>
> You're allowed to find my obnoxious. Doesn't bug me much.
>
> K

Think you'll find that's 'Your allowed to find me obnoxious'

and no, I don't, I just think your a tw@t.

Anonymous 27 May 2005
In reply to Foxy:
> Think you'll find that's 'Your allowed to find me obnoxious'

I'm afraid "you're" is just fine.
 Bob 27 May 2005
In reply to Foxy:

If you are (you're) going to correct someone then get your facts correct

Bob
 tony 27 May 2005
In reply to Foxy:
> (In reply to Kurt)
> [...]
>
> Think you'll find that's 'Your allowed to find me obnoxious'
>
> and no, I don't, I just think your a tw@t.

That'll be 'you're a tw@t.'
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 27 May 2005
In reply to Kurt:
> (In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC)
>
> It's only a half troll as I do find the Egrades silly and trumped up to glorify bold ascents of routes with relatively moderate difficulty.
>
> I
>
> K

Bit like overall grades for Canadian alpine or ice routes, eh Kurt.

Foxy 27 May 2005
In reply to Bob and Tony:

mmmm, rather ironic.
 tony 27 May 2005
In reply to Foxy:

Well, you'll know better next time.
Steve Reid 27 May 2005
In reply to polished_circus:
Looks like a lot of preplaced gear in the photos... pinkpointing in other words. When's it going to get a proper redpoint?

Actually, I've talked to David about this. He had been asked to put off doing the first ascent for a day so that it could be filmed for new film on Lake District climbing that some of the locals are making. So when he arrived at the crag early, he warmed up by abbing down the route, practicing the odd move on the way. Some quickdraws had to be placed to keep him in to the rock. When he got to the bottom he realised if he didn't climb it quick the sun would go off it so he just pulled the ropes down and climbed it straight away, and in fact placed most of the gear on the lead including a wire and a Friend low down. However, much of the rest of the gear was preplaced pegs and some of the Quickdraws were in place on these. He's quite honest about it.

With regards to comments about the grade, it is E8 (6c) as some of the pegs are not good. The French grade is there as an indication of what it would be if it were bolted. For the benefit of Canadians and other foreigners reading this, by general agreement among local climbers for many years, to preserve the element of adventure, bolts are ethically unacceptable on Lakeland Rock, except in quarries and on Limestone. David has done a number of E8s and E9s over the last few years very few of which have been repeated by 16 year old sport climbers in approach shoes or indeed anybody else. This is because you don't just need to be strong and talented, you need to be bold and brave as well. However do come and show us otherwise - if you let us know in advance, we'll have the film crew on hand to record everything in glorious technicolour - should be spectacular - one way or the other.

The crag is apparently called "Cam". Thanks to Al Phizackle for this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...