UKC

Parking in the Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 14 Sep 2005
Doesn't affect me, but there might be one or two here interested in this:

http://www.planetfear.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=5442
 UKB Shark 14 Sep 2005
In reply to tony:

Best to park on the verges then.
 Simon Caldwell 14 Sep 2005
In reply to tony:
Sounds like the Plantation car park is still pay-if-you-like then - unless anyone knows better?
 Lancs Lad 14 Sep 2005
In reply to tony:

Theres free parking down the hill at Curbar just before the Trackside path, then some more a little further down towards the village

Surprised there not charging at Burbage North, been very busy last few times weve been there

Anyone know if you are allowed to park on the scrub land besides the road, just aft BB Nth/BB Bridge on way to Shef?
In reply to tony:
At least the charges are reasonable, if you go for an hour's climbing at Brimham in the evening you're still clobbered for £3.
Little Cub 14 Sep 2005
In reply to tony: Guess we should all write and complain as suggeted, then...

Having looked at the links, I'm going to check out if the annual permit's still available. Seems a good deal if you're a regular visitor or if you live there already (which really pisses me off because I pay enough Council Tax, etc, to the blighters already without having to pay to use the parking as well). Also, wonder if it covers motorcycles as well: I refuse to pay the same for a bike as a car!
And does it mean that wardens will at least cut car crime? In which case, paying a bit for total security isn't maybe so bad - except that it won't cover a lot of the bad places, will it? Or else the scumbags will just move elsewhere.
 Phil West 14 Sep 2005
In reply to Simon Lee:

AKAIK you can park on a verge as long as you don't obstruct a pedestrian right of way or any traffic.

If there are solid central white lines, it doesn't make any difference if you are on the road or the verge, you will get points and a fine (I did at Burbage South and I was fully on the verge, not obstructing either the path or the road).

Phil.
 mwerner 14 Sep 2005
In reply to tony:
Living in Sheffield and being a regular visitor to the peak, I don't mind paying a little towards parking,.... if the money does go towards the upkeep of such facilities (footpaths, car parks, conservation, bins, etc etc). I'm sure I add to a fair amount of wear & tear to these, although I, obviously try and keep this to a minimum.
 UKB Shark 14 Sep 2005
> If there are solid central white lines, it doesn't make any difference if you are on the road or the verge, you will get points and a fine (

I didn't know that - but it makes sense
 sutty 14 Sep 2005
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

If you spend about £30 on NT membership you can park free there and at other NT sites, including Langdale I think. If out a lot it is worth it, it hasn't been to me this year.
 TN 14 Sep 2005
In reply to Phil West:

That's exactly right - parking where there are solid white lines = fine and points, regardless of whether you're on the road or not! (Yes, we fell for that one too.)
And don't you think the length of the 'double white lined' are at Burbage Bridge is unnecessarily long??

In reply to sutty:
I used to be in the NT but there aren't enough properties nearby to make it worthwhile. Whenever I'm in Langdale I'm either camping or staying in a hut so parking isn't a problem.

At Brimham I just don't pay, every now and then I get a reminder/prosecution threat on the windscreen, so that averages out over the year at around 50p per evening, which would be a reasonable charge in the first place.
 Tim Waterhouse 15 Sep 2005
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Just had a ferret about, and found that the plantation car park is actually the one called Hollin Bank on the Park's list of pay-and-display car parks. So it is now, like Surprise View, pay-unless-you-want-a-ticket.

Think I might get a permit. Info and downloadable application form here: http://www.peakdistrict.org/parking/carparking.htm

Tim
 S Andrew 15 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

Less to join NT for Scotland - and reciprocal rights.
Using parking in Borrowdale, Langdale, Brimham, Pembroke and adding a couple of rainy day visits it's pretty cheap.
 sutty 15 Sep 2005
In reply to Rid Skwerr:

Thanks for that information, I get fed up of all the magazines they send out but they fail to send a car sticker to show you are a member.
 GrahamD 15 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

The membership card in the windscreen is all you need.
 sutty 15 Sep 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

Tha point is Graham the membership card lives with my plastic, and it is not always with me. Perhaps I should leave it in the car.
 GrahamD 15 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

Fair comment - I forgot my new card on the last Pembroke trip (luckily, everyone accepted the old card which saved a good £10). The stickers are not dated at all are they, though ? so I think the annual card is the only really practical solution.
 Offwidth 15 Sep 2005
In reply to tony:

I guess we will be soon back to the days when the machines were almost constantly vandelised so that no one can pay.

On the double white lines issue, it just shows how ignorant people are of the highway code: this is more serious than a parking offence.
 Ropeboy 16 Sep 2005
In reply to :

Let me get this straight, are you saying that if you join the NT you get free parking in the Peak too?

This might be more beneficial as the missus is always going on about joining the NT.

J
 Joez 16 Sep 2005
In reply to tony:

argh whats wrong with me? - first thing i thought of for NT was Nursing Times. Spent a few minutes thinking why the hell it would get me free parking in the peak. 5 minutes later...ooooh National Trust.

do i need help

my mum is a nurse - does that make it less idiotic?
Iain Ridgway 16 Sep 2005
In reply to mwerner: I do!

I grew up in Sheffield, and when I go back, park the car and go off for a few hours run in the peak, if I ever had to pay for that pleasure I would be furious.

It makes getting out for a run, an expensive outing, when doing it daily, probably more expensive than going to a gym.

I ran from Burbage North or Fox house, 4-5 times a week this spring, imagine how much it would cost in petrol and parking fees combined if I had to pay?
Kipper 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Ropeboy:
>
> Let me get this straight, are you saying that if you join the NT you get free parking in the Peak too?

Probably only if you park in the NT car parks.
 sutty 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Ropeboy:

John, do not get confused. Joining National Trust gives you free parking at most of their carparks, the Peak Park carparks are a seperate entity that you may find it worth getting an annual permit for if you climb on the eastern edges a lot.

I know the charge was reasonabl e couple of years ago, a lot less than you can get one for anywhere else and if I was going out once a week it would save a lot of money.

You need to work out what suits you, if your missus is into visiting stately homes the NT membership is worth it, reduced or free entry to lots of places, and car parks.
Little Cub 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Tim Waterhouse: Just checked on permits myself - phone them first (only the number's wrong, too - should be 01629 816211 - Ranger Service) coz the prices have gone up. £10 for a resident, don't know what for a non-res.

BUT the good news is that motorcycle parking is free and will continue to be free - so you all know what the answer is. Get on yer bike!
 TN 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Little Cub:

I wouldn't leave my bike in any of those car parks - naturally paranoid, but I doubt it'd bethere when I got back. (Plus it's a bit scary carrying a bouldering mat on your back...)
 sutty 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Little Cub:

Just followed the links and it is £10 for locals inside national park, £25 for outside people but, ta ra, £12 for old age codgers like me and free for blue badge holders.

http://www.peakdistrict.org/parking/carparking.htm
 Tim Waterhouse 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Ropeboy:

I think comments about free parking for NT members arose from Simon Caldwell's post re parking at Brimham. This does not apply to the Peak car parks referred to by the OP.

Tim
 Ropeboy 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Tim Waterhouse/Kipper/Sutty:

Cheers guys, so looks like £25 then.

Is it car specific? Sometimes I go out in my car and sometimes in the wife's.

Will it be something you display in your windscreen?

J
 sutty 16 Sep 2005
In reply to Ropeboy:

If you follow the links it takes you to the application form you fill out. That does not ask for a car number so it is not car specific. Anyway, if you carry one you can use it in any car, yours or your mates so could share one.
Matthew Croney 22 Sep 2005
Sorry I've only just picked up on this debate but....

On behalf of the Stanage Forum Steering Group, I have made strong representations to the Authority's Access & Recreation Service that under no circumstances must the pay & display machine at Hollin Bank (Plantation) be enforced. The fact that it is not enforced is a critical part of the parking plan agreed by all through the Stanage Forum. Please therefore advise people to continue as before and park in the car park, rather than on the verges to avoid a possible fine. If there is any sign that the Forum's comments are to be ignored, believe me, I will let everyone know! (I have also put forward similar objections regarding Curbar Gap but I have no say over any other pay & display car parks I'm afraid).
Cheers
Matthew
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

What, like your national trust card ?
Yorkspud 22 Sep 2005
In reply to Matthew Croney:
> Sorry I've only just picked up on this debate but....
>
> On behalf of the Stanage Forum Steering Group, I have made strong representations to the Authority's Access & Recreation Service that under no circumstances must the pay & display machine at Hollin Bank (Plantation) be enforced.

I'm puzzled..why shouldn't it be enforced?
 sutty 22 Sep 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

Look at the link on the peak park website, it doesn't have anywhere to put a car number so use as you would your NT card.

Yorkspud, the reason it should not be enforced is because that was part of the agreement of the forum. Otherwise everyone will end up back on the road parking.

BTW, I notice that if you go to the National Trust website and become a member on line they are knocking about ten pounds off membership.

Yorkspud 22 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

So you're saying the people who use it now don't pay?
 sutty 22 Sep 2005
In reply to Yorkspud:

I think it is an honesty box, no need to pay but if you are going to be there all day maybe you should.
The idea is if you nip up for an hour then it is expensive but not for the day.
Yorkspud 23 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

Why not enforce parking charges AND enforce no verge parking?
 GrahamD 23 Sep 2005
In reply to sutty:

I was referring to your comments on a different thread where you were complaining you never had your NT card with you in the car. Feeble humour attempt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...