UKC

Tides on crag pages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Kelly 07 Jul 2021

The tides tab on crag pages, e.g.  Lower Pen Trwyn, appears to have disappeared. Is this going to come back soon? It was one of my most used features!

In reply to Rob Kelly:

Hi Rob

We are just looking into this. World-Tides bill in a really odd way and something seems to have changed with our subscription. Should be up and running soon.

Alan

OP Rob Kelly 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks Alan

In reply to Rob Kelly:

Should be working again now. It'll take a few hours for all the latest tide data to be fetched in.

OP Rob Kelly 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Yes all working now, thanks!

How do i access tide data from crag page please, I am struggling to find it. 

In reply to Presley Whippet:

If the crag has tidal data, there will be a Tides tab at the top like here Lower Pen Trwyn.

There's still quite a few crags without data since the data wasn't been updated correctly earlier today, it'll take a few hours to fully update after the fix. Which crag were you trying to get the data for?

Post edited at 14:05
 Snyggapa 07 Jul 2021

one point of curiosity  (not that I had noticed them there before).. the tides show as as delta centred around zero, which is a pretty unusual way of displaying it - so Baggy Point shows between 2.5 and -2.5 m. Every other tide app I have used shows absolute values, so between about 2.5 and 7.5 m today .

Of course it shows the same relative information, but based to a unit that I would consider unusual.

As a side point, on a tidal crag predicted swell is often as useful in conjunction with tide 

Thanks, I am looking at Pembroke, so used St govsas my first port of call. 

Got it thanks, I had missed the drop down box

deepsoup 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Snyggapa:

> one point of curiosity  (not that I had noticed them there before).. the tides show as as delta centred around zero, which is a pretty unusual way of displaying it - so Baggy Point shows between 2.5 and -2.5 m. Every other tide app I have used shows absolute values, so between about 2.5 and 7.5 m today .

In many ways it probably makes more sense for 'zero' to be mean sea level.

Tide tables (and apps) usually give the heights relative to a slightly arbitrary local datum specifically chosen to avoid negative values.  They set zero to about the lowest foreseeable astronomical tide.  (So ignoring the effects of the weather - it could still potentially go a little bit lower if that lowest possible spring tide coincided with particularly high air pressure, sort of the opposite of a 'storm surge'.)

There's a list of where those chart datums for various ports are relative to ordnance datum (the same one that is 'zero' on the contours of an OS map) here: https://www.ntslf.org/tides/datum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...