UKC

Anyone know Geoff Cram, Chris Eilbeck, Ian Roper?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 eldre070 28 Dec 2020

Does anyone know the Authors of the classic 1975 ‘Rock Climbing in the Lake District’ Guide? My wife picked me up an absolute mint condition 1st Edition for Christmas and despite loving it (X Grades no E numbers!) I’d happily reunite Guide and Author if they don’t have a copy as good as this one (for free of course). Let me know. 

Lankyman 29 Dec 2020
In reply to eldre070:

There's a Chris Eilbeck with a profile on Geograph. He last posted in 2018 but you can send messages to posters through their profiles rather like UKC. Worth a try.

Mick Ward 29 Dec 2020
In reply to eldre070:

They were all well-known Lakes climbers (obviously active elsewhere as well). Would think people in the Fell & Rock Climbing Club (FRCC) will know/have known them.

I have fond memories of using that guidebook. As you say, it was indeed classic. A credit to the authors.

Mick

In reply to eldre070:

When I started climbing I only needed four guidebooks to cover the areas I went to. This for the Lakes, Ron James for Wales, Paul Nunn for't Peak and Pat's guide to the South West. Happy Days.

Doug 29 Dec 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

and two volumes  by Hamish Macinnes for Scotland. Unfortunately not as user friendly as their southern companions.

Rob Exile Ward 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Doug:

I still have all 5 (the 2 MacInnes guides were later combined into one but with no improvement to grading or clarity!) I still dip into them for inspiration when visiting one of those areas. 

GrahamD 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Doug:

> and two volumes  by Hamish Macinnes for Scotland. Unfortunately not as user friendly as their southern companions.

The midge rating in my version is a nice touch.

Rob Exile Ward 29 Dec 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Is it true though?

Bob Bennett 29 Dec 2020
In reply to eldre070:

Geoff Cram lives in the Midlands and has a business selling old mountaineering guides etc. Im sure if you google his name you will get the info you need

Martin Bennett 29 Dec 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

We too Keith, Wasn't life simple? And cheap! Then I moved to Scotland and learned, with difficulty, to get around using Hamish's personalised view in his red and yellow efforts.

overdrawnboy 29 Dec 2020
In reply to eldre070:

They are all still around according to the FRCC handbook that arrived this morning. Contrary to the entry above it shows Geoff Cram still living in Leeds. Try and contact them through club website if you are intent on pursuing the matter.

GrahamD 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Is it true though?

Sort of Scottish VS true.

Rich 29 Dec 2020
In reply to eldre070:

Chris was in the Fell and Rock club.  

ceilbeck 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Rich: I still am in the FRCC, though I haven't touched rock much this year!  I'd be delighted to take possession of a mint copy of our original guide book as my own is getting a little dog-eared after all these years!

Chris E

> Chris was in the Fell and Rock club.  

ceilbeck 29 Dec 2020
In reply to eldre070:

Yes please, my own copy is getting rather worn (like its author).  Happy to negotiate a suitable donation to the Mountain rescue or your choice of charity in return!  Chris E

Linda Orritt 14 Jan 2021
In reply to eldre070: Geoff Cram lives in Leeds  I’ll pm you his details  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...