UKC

Matt Bush Climbing Photoshop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 myrddinmuse 22 May 2018

So the other day I was browsing down my facebook feed when I saw a remarkable story about a certain south african free soloist, Matt Bush, who claimed to have had a brush with some buzzards who attacked him.

Although he heard chirping on the abseil inspection, he proceeded with his bold climb, and was attacked by a pair of buzzards who were intent on killing him, apparently.

He bravely defended himself with a carabiner on a sling (not visible in the photo) and escaped with his life. Good on him, eh (ignoring the arguably irresponsible actions of ignoring baby birds for a quick climb).

https://www.facebook.com/mattclimbing/photos/a.558311674278868.1073741841.4...

All this seemed a bit funny to me, but he shared the photo, and I though 'well fair enough then, what a shot'.

Couple days later it popped up again, and I noticed that the birds were both in quite an oddly similar shape, swooping for the kill. I decided to take a closer look and noticed that they are both the same bird.

Unless by some miraculous coincidence our friend Matt has photoshopped some random birds off of google images to support a potentially fabricated story on social media about a close encounter of the bird kind.

Now really, I shouldn't give a sh*t, and I sort of don't, something about that really rubs me the wrong way.

Here's the picture that shows that it's shopped.  Not a bad job on it, just a bit lazy (is finding 2 different birds really that hard?).

https://ibb.co/b4DLy8

planetmarshall 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

> Now really, I shouldn't give a sh*t, and I sort of don't, something about that really rubs me the wrong way.

Well indeed, but as the guy sounds like a bit of a tool (he hilariously describes bthe actions of the possibly fictional birds as "disrespectful"), I for one would not object to seeing him taken down a peg or two.

Removed User 22 May 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

Yeah he's a full bell end. Check this out - route looks awesome mind...

youtube.com/watch?v=-a1WExytkZc&

OP myrddinmuse 22 May 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

I would've stopped following ages ago but occasionally he cracks me up (like with the 'disrespectful birds' thing).

Last week he claimed to have survived a 10m fall to 'rock bottom' with no adverse effects via the famous 'drop and roll' technique, and also "a prayer".. What a joker!  

TMM 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Looks like a prize arse hat.

GarethSL 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

To quote the man himself (taken from a comment in the FB feed):

"The image is a re-enactment of what happened. I was alone when the birds attacked. Unfortunately the picture doesn't capture the extremity of the situation but it's my best effort to bring it alive for my followers. 

This is not a post for sarcasm and misdirected frustration"

Not quite sure what to make of that...

In reply to myrddinmuse:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the...  Oh forget it...

Chris Harris 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Having been found out, he's now posting this:

"The image is a re-enactment of what happened. I was alone when the birds attacked. Unfortunately the picture doesn't capture the extremity of the situation but it's my best effort to bring it alive for my followers."

In reply to GarethSL:

To also quote the man;

"It was disrespectful of the birds to attack like that. I was far away from the nest.

But one can't reason with agressive birds."

Dear Lord..

Rob Morgan 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

He says he was what, 10 whole meters away from their nest hole? Someone should teach those birds a little respect!

starbug 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

From the comments below the pic on face book as follows:

Matt Bush The image is a re-enactment of what happened. I was alone when the birds attacked. Unfortunately the picture doesn't capture the extremity of the situation but it's my best effort to bring it alive for my followers.

Is he SA's answer to the mighty Bear Gryll's?

Chris Harris 22 May 2018
In reply to starbug:

> Is he SA's answer to the mighty Bear Gryll's?

Expect a visit from the apostrophe police.

starbug 22 May 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

Have a like

It would almost be disappointing if there wasn't one wouldn't it?

In reply to myrddinmuse:

"Is your life completely free of all animal products or products that cause harm in any way to animals? I doubt it. In which case, your argument is flawed."

Another profound and well thought-out response to someone pointing out that disturbing birds and then trying to hit them with gear is a bad idea potentially...

He really is a fountain of diarrhea.

Post edited at 13:48
 Cusco 22 May 2018
In reply to starbug:

'Allo, 'allo, 'allo. What's all this 'ere then. The correct use of an apostrophe the first time round and then a blatantly-unlawful and flagrant breach of 'er Majester's correct English next time round.  Its not rocket science lad...Ahem 

In reply to myrddinmuse:

Also, maybe the rope is photoshopped out of some of his photos??

Tom Last 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Jesus, what a helmet.

Rampikino 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Oh dear. The wrong actor on a wonderful stage...

pasbury 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

I would say he’s very much a ‘facebook’ climber. The comments are priceless.

GHawksworth 22 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

This guy is a melon. He blocked myself and myrddinmuse on Instagram for calling him out on his "crop and rotate" antics.

Now he is blaming acts of wild animals on them being "disrespectful".

Probably gonna block me on FB after my last comments too ah well! Hopefully not too many will follow his lead in climbing ethics and all round douchebaggery

Tom Last 22 May 2018
In reply to GHawksworth:

I'm calling bullshit on the whole thing. Where's the sling and karabiner in the photo?

Tom Last 22 May 2018
In reply to GHawksworth:

Ah sorry, just seen that the who pic is a 're-enactment' rather than just the buzzards.

GoneFishing111 23 May 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Is it just me or does the rock he's climbing in that video look like a sleeping T-rex?

d_b 23 May 2018
In reply to GoneFishing111:

Careful.  He will be posting about how he was attacked by a disrespectful T-Rex that woke up while he was minding his own business climbing it.

Bulls Crack 24 May 2018
In reply to d_b:

Time to get a meme going - 'shopped flying pigs anyone?

In reply to myrddinmuse:

Excellent. You should post that!

Lord_ash2000 25 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

lol, never heard of the guy but I didn't need to see the 2nd image to know that those birds are clearly stuck on the photograph, it's not even good photoshopping, what a tit.   To be fair though the route its self, does look pretty cool. 

Just looking at his facebook now, anyone else think the spiderman image is fake as well? Looks a bit suss to me. 

Post edited at 11:56
 mik82 25 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

https://ibb.co/dhwN0o

Post edited at 12:22
 mik82 25 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

It's a shame the more exciting details of the ascent were photoshopped out.

https://ibb.co/mP6BRT

Kemics 25 May 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Anyone know the route/climbing area, looks incredible?

Andy Gamisou 26 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

Jeez - give the guy a break!  You'll be saying this photo of me suffering a not entirely dissimilar attack on a recent visit to Kalymnos is photo-shopped next (it isn't).  http://www.adventureapps.online/real_photo_no_photoshopping.jpg

stp 30 May 2018
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Is that in the Jurassic Park sector?

Andy Gamisou 31 May 2018
In reply to stp:

> Is that in the Jurassic Park sector?

Yup.  And on a visit to the Spartacus sector I was punched by Russell Crowe when I inadvertently queue jumped a route he was waiting for.  Talk about bad luck...

d_b 31 May 2018

You don't want to know what happened when I tried to climb King Kong (E1 5b).

Ben_Climber 31 May 2018
In reply to myrddinmuse:

They do look like big birds to be fair.

https://ibb.co/mdJzSd

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 31 May 2018
Andy Gamisou 31 May 2018
In reply to d_b:

> You don't want to know what happened when I tried to climb King Kong (E1 5b).

You found a screeching Fay Wray at the top?  Could be worse I guess.

d_b 31 May 2018

The biplanes were a bit off putting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...