UKC

Northumberland review points...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich Guest 06 Jul 2011
Some reflections/whinging after a recent visit :

1. Lorraine and Long Layback Crack - If these were on Stanage Popular they'd be upgraded within a matter of hours!!

2. There are lots and lots of flies around at some of the crags

3. 'The Trial' ought to be renamed 'The Ordeal'! **Beta alert** - Do not attempt to lead this route thinking that there will be gear in the breaks!! (and why o why does the new RFax guide not have a heart flutter symbol to reflect this??)... Not to mention the 6a leap/dyno at the start with a full rack on!

4. Hot temperatures and sandy holds don't go well together!

Conclusions :

Go in cool temperatures and solo everything! (I suppose padding is de rigeur?)
 Dave Warburton 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Cragrat Rich:

Lots of flies, lots of places are the moment.

The Trial is a solo, you can see that from the ground!
OP Rich Guest 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Dave Warburton:
> (In reply to Cragrat Rich)
>

> The Trial is a solo, you can see that from the ground!

How exactly? How would you possibly know that those two breaks won't take cams, especially considering the guidebook doesn't suggest as such??

Dave Warburton 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Cragrat Rich: Seem to remember most of the breaks around there are shite! Excellent climbing though.
 SteveSBlake 06 Jul 2011

Once you get over the (quite common) initial phase of disappointment in: the grades, boldness, roundness of the breaks, lack of protection, size of the crimps etc you will probably come to enjoy it. Most folks do.

Steve
 Alex@home 06 Jul 2011
hmm - was thinking of soloing Lorraine next week since it's "only" VS.
you think it should be upgraded - is that because the start is powerful or because the end is bold or because it's all hard or...something else?
i don't mind getting a bit of beta
 SteveSBlake 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

It's only 25', and wears it's heart on it's sleeve, you can see every move - what do you think?

Steve
 JLS 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

***Beta alert*** The "hard start" is physical but ultimately fine. It's topping out that I find a worry.
OP Rich Guest 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

I don't necessarily think it should be upgraded.

I just said that it would be - like a shot - if it was plonked on stanage!!

Alex@home 06 Jul 2011

ok thanks all - that's probably enough info
i've not climbed up there before so i'll do some other stuff and see how it all feels. if there's enough friction then it should ok
 Simmy 06 Jul 2011

I nipped over to Kyloe for the first time, thought it was ace Rock was much stronger than the Eden Valley red Sandstone felt bomber for gear. Will be going back for more
> (In reply to Alex@home)
>
> I don't necessarily think it should be upgraded.

Phew, for a minute there I thought I was in danger of agreeing with you

Nic DW 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

She is both hard and powerful, it takes alot of strength to tame her. She spits out many a confident VS (and harder) leader...
 barney800 07 Jul 2011
> 2. There are lots and lots of flies around at some of the crags
>
> Conclusions :
>
> Go in cool temperatures and solo everything! (I suppose padding is de rigeur?)

I've only noticed large numbers at flies once at Crag Lough (all over the top of the crag - it was grim but they didn't bite) and once on the walk in to Simonside. And maybe it's because I mostly started out up here so am used to it, but I usually find the gear okay. I do often take a pad for the classic 'Northumberland starts' though.
 Fraser 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
> (In reply to Cragrat Rich)
> hmm - was thinking of soloing Lorraine next week since ....i don't mind getting a bit of beta

Go for it - I soloed it a couple of years back o/s, and I wouldn't say I'm bold! The top didn't concern me at all. The whole thing's just a really nice problem.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

> hmm - was thinking of soloing Lorraine next week since it's "only" VS.
> you think it should be upgraded - is that because the start is powerful or because the end is bold or because it's all hard or...something else?

Lorraine has a hard start and a bold finish. It is possible to escape rightwards after the hard start if you decide not to continue up the finish.

Remember that the finish may be a little sandy after rain.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 07 Jul 2011

> Some reflections/whinging after a recent visit :
>
> 1. Lorraine and Long Layback Crack - If these were on Stanage Popular they'd be upgraded within a matter of hours!!
>
>
> 3. 'The Trial' ought to be renamed 'The Ordeal'! **Beta alert** - Do not attempt to lead this route thinking that there will be gear in the breaks!! (and why o why does the new RFax guide not have a heart flutter symbol to reflect this??)... Not to mention the 6a leap/dyno at the start with a full rack on!
>
> 4. Hot temperatures and sandy holds don't go well together!

1. If Stanage was in Northumberland none of those routes would have been overgraded in the first place. Northumberland grades have always been considered tough, however the climbing and situations are unbeatable.

2. Perhaps the flies are on you?

3. I would have thought that anyone who can get off the ground and onto The Trial with a full rack of gear on would find the top reasonably steady especially as you can jettison balast along the way!

4. Showery weather and sandy slabs are a poor mixed. It is always best to leave two clear days after rain before climbing on sandstone crags. A lot of holds have been broken off in reacent years by over enthusiastic climbers!
 Alex@home 15 Jul 2011

in the end i managed to find a willing belayer (thanks again gaz) and had about 3 hours at bowden doors. wish it had been more but it just gives me incentive to go back. such a beautiful place - one of the best views from any crag, great lines up lovely rock. but if (like me) you're used to grit then you'll be in for a surprise when you put your hands on those holds that look like grit and find that there isn't any friction (or maybe there is when it's cooler but there certainly wasn't any on a warm summer evening).
the breaks aren't all rubbish. i placed a number of solid cams that i would have been happy to rest/fall onto had the need arisen. or did you just mean that they are rubbish on the trial?

thought canada crack was excellent. solid but fair at the grade.
thought main wall was excellent. if anything a bit low in the grade.
thought lorraine was excellent. but unquestionably the hardest vs i've ever done.

rant about lorraine. i'll do this 3 ways, - the short version for those who like mtv, the medium version for those who like the independant and the long version for those who have nothing better to do than read it.

(a) Lorraine - VS my arse

(b) "Climbing grading system is going to collapse unless governments forget about anything important and launch inquiries into the injustices that have so long been perpetrated by locals in Northumberland". This was the message being repeated time and again by visitors to the county as they got spanked by a route that quite simply would not be VS anywhere else in the country. Said one visitor, "there might be a grading system that is local to the Lorraine buttress which qualifies this as being VS but in the rest of the (real) world it would be at least E1". This visitor was later found hanging by his testicles from a lamp post in belford with a note that said "no it wouldn't".

(c) Well it's just so inconsistent isn't it? Yes I agree that it wears its heart on its sleeve and there are no surprises, but of the routes i did that night, the scoop at VS 4c seemed about right, canada crack seemed about right at hvs 5a, scorpion seemed about right at vs 4c and main wall seemed about right at hvs 5b. lorraine had more strenuous climbing than canada crack and i may have got my hands the wrong way round but i found getting established on the flake at least as hard as the crux of main wall. the gear is bomber but for someone who's maximum grade is vs it would seem very hard to place - especially if your small cams are on the wrong side of your harness when you need them!
i tried to come up with lists of vs's that are harder and couldn't think of any. the hardest i can think of in the peak are alter crack and the file. lorraine is much more strenuous that both of these. the crux is harder than alter crack and, so long as you can jam, definitely harder than the file. ergo it would be at least the hardest vs in the peak.
i then tried to think of hvs's that are easier than lorraine. this was easier than the previous list. i thought main wall was easier. in the peak (i'll stick to classic hvs's where the grade is not in question) i'd say that chequer's buttress, tody's wall, queersville, eliminator, agony crack, valediction, bond street (do you need me to go on?) are all easier.
ergo it is at least hvs.
now, i can think of a number of hvs's that are harder (i'll start and finish that list with matinee) and i'm certainly not going to suggest it's e1.
which leads us to the conclusion that either (a) it is hvs or (b) everyone in the peak is soft.
since grades are arrived at by consensus and there are many more climbers in the peak than northumberland (why else would we have only seen 2 other people on such a perfect evening) then the evidence does lend itself towards the first option. however, i don't wish to find myself hanging from a lamppost in belford so i'm going to say it is definitively vs, just a bit hard for the grade. and probably easier to solo if you feel up to it.

can't wait to go back for more
 CurlyStevo 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
IMO don't trust the cams in that rock like it's grit they are no where near as reliable, I've seen them pop!

Personally I'm a desender it's one of the few trad climbing rock types that I just don't enjoy (personally!), and it's not just the grading - the gear is spaced and either suspect, sandy or behind flakes that look a bit shoogley! (ok well quite often - but you get the picture !)
 SteveSBlake 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

I'll selectively quote you Alex - "definitively vs, just a bit hard for the grade. and probably easier to solo if you feel up to it."

And most importantly

" can't wait to go back for more"

It's all part of the fun up here

Steve
 jonnylowes 15 Jul 2011
> Some reflections/whinging after a recent visit :
>
> 1. Lorraine and Long Layback Crack - If these were on Stanage Popular they'd be upgraded within a matter of hours!!
>
>
> 3. 'The Trial' ought to be renamed 'The Ordeal'! **Beta alert** - Do not attempt to lead this route thinking that there will be gear in the breaks!! (and why o why does the new RFax guide not have a heart flutter symbol to reflect this??)... Not to mention the 6a leap/dyno at the start with a full rack on!
>
> 4. Hot temperatures and sandy holds don't go well together!
>
>
>
> Conclusions :
>
> Go in cool temperatures and solo everything! (I suppose padding is de rigeur?)

welcome to Northumberland.
 full stottie 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

Shhhhhhh! Please stop encouraging people to come here and climb.
 markhammonds 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:

Enjoyed that, cheers! Guess it's another vote for HVS but it will never change... (Lorraine is still the hardest route I've got to the top of (after rests, of course!))

Have missed climbing in Northumberland. Hope it's staying dry enough for people to enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...