UKC

The stuff left out of climbing films

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 05 Jun 2013
In the cliches in climbing videos thread, ice.solo wrote:

> perhaps what i find more interesting is the stuff thats constantly left out of climbing films. but thats another thread.

For starters, how about

* A real life shot of a non-climbing partner asking the question 'If you had to choose between climbing and me, which would you choose?' and footage of the answer... (On the same theme, an interesting short film would be to ask climbers 'If you had to choose between your non-climbing partner and climbing, which would you choose and why?' I imagine quite a few might have to be filmed with disguised identities.)

duchessofmalfi 05 Jun 2013
In reply to ericinbristol:

"Oh FFS get a move on and _stop_ going off route and stop whinging"
OP ericinbristol 05 Jun 2013
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Very good. Plus the more understated 'How's it going?' which says the same thing.
 JimboWizbo 05 Jun 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: 5 Minutes of faffing with gear on a 10m long Vdiff
In reply to JimboWizbo:

5 minutes? Sounds like a speed climbing video. Ah, just realised you mean 5 minutes per metre.
 Trevers 05 Jun 2013

Spending half an hour trying to find at least one decent belay anchour, then your partner coming up and pointing out that it moves
 MJ 05 Jun 2013

If you haven't seen it, try and get hold of 'The Face' video featuring Airlie Anderson and Aid Burgess. They're climbing on the desert sandstone in Utah and Airlie doesn't seem to appreciate it...
In reply to MJ:

I have seen it. It's one of my favourite climbing videos. AA getting her just desserts after calling AB a "wuss"!
 The Pylon King 05 Jun 2013

The background sound, without music plastered all over it.
 duchessofmalfi 05 Jun 2013

"watch me, ooeerr, F****, hold on, I don't think I can do it, hold on, arrrgh, pant, can you check the route in the guide book? here goes, watch me! retreat, I'm going to go for it be ready to catch the fall, I don't like the look of that cam, hold on, I'm going to place some more gear (waits 15 minutes) bugger that nut/cam/hex won't stay, watch me, ooeerr"

repeat several times

finally does the move

"oh it was easy - nothing to worry about"

loopyone 05 Jun 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: An incident (like I had) taking a non climbing friend up grooved arete, we were stood on the belay and he was asking about the gear we were using on the belay (two cams) as I was just pulling a rope up behind me to bring him up so he wasn't seeing gear going in. I told him they were completely bomber and gave them both a good tug to show him and one of them came out in my hand. He was not impressed.
 Kemics 05 Jun 2013
In reply to tatty112:

Couldn't you just summarise that as staggering incompetence? :P

I think the bit most left out of climbing films - tea breaks and malt loaf...maybe a little nap at midday
 Brass Nipples 05 Jun 2013

On a long multi pitch in the mist, with rain starting to fall.

"It goes that way" (second who never leads)
"No , it goes this way according to the guidebook" (me)
"I think you should go that way, it's easier"
"No it's not, it leads to a dead end"
"I still think"
"Look, do you want to lead it..."
"No"
"Then shut up.."
 Bruce Hooker 05 Jun 2013

The most important things that are never mentioned are the basic bodily functions - I've never escaped dysentery of various degrees on trips outside Europe and the results tend to occupy ones thoughts as much as anything else, especially when bivvying in a small tent or a plastic bag!
 Tall Clare 05 Jun 2013

Getting to the bottom of the route (after a decent walk in) only to discover that one or other of you has forgotten a vital bit of kit so has to improvise...
needvert 05 Jun 2013
The bit where you do your partner checks, and your belayer tugs on your lead line and it pops out of the ATC. You don't have anything to say, there is nothing to say.
 Kemics 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

vimeo.com/13831211

not always left out

Hilarious! And very true...
In reply to tatty112:

Quality!
In reply to Beat me to it!:

Another gem.
 JimboWizbo 05 Jun 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: How about standing around for 90 minutes waiting for the three chatty blokes ahead of you to potter up the first pitch or two?
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to ericinbristol)
>
> Getting to the bottom of the route (after a decent walk in) only to discover that one or other of you has forgotten a vital bit of kit so has to improvise...

That's not always left out, actually. On Lynn Hill’s NIAD video LH is sorting quickly through karabiners when her hapless second confesses that he’s forgotten his belay device. LH doesn’t miss a beat; simply hands him a couple of karabiners and carries on gear sorting.

jcm
 French Erick 05 Jun 2013
monologues at the belay (particularly on winter routes):
"FFS what the F is he doing?"

With shots of the face going through, interest, rage, boredom and back again.
All of it is instantly forgotten once seconding the pitch that you find invariably hard (serious case of second blues?).
 rallymania 05 Jun 2013

inspired by another thread... hours of footage of the second apparently having a complete mental break down while being eaten to death by midges... or spending 4 hours in your tent removing ticks from your b_ll s_ck

patrick_b 05 Jun 2013
In reply to French Erick:

A single 15 minute shot of the belayer on a summer multipitch route while the leader is setting up a sparce belay somewhere out of sight and hearing - staring off into the middle distance for a bit, poking at the bits of lichen, peeling old scraps of tape off some nuts..
 Andy Hardy 05 Jun 2013

Leader: SAFE!

2nd:taps feet, checks watch

Leader: SAAAAFEE!!

2nd: mutters under breath

Leader: SAAAAAFFFFFEEEEE!!!! <turning puce>

2nd: DAVE! ARE YOU SAFE YET?

rallymania 05 Jun 2013
> (In reply to ericinbristol)
>
> "Oh FFS get a move on and _stop_ going off route and stop whinging"

or as "our" new insult goes...

MAN UP PRINCESS!!!!

owlart 05 Jun 2013
In reply to ericinbristol: Have we mentioned consuming half your own bodyweight in cake whilst sat in the cafe waiting for the rain to stop?

The moment when after marking critical points on the rope with tape and rehearsing with the worried belayer/girlfriend how she needs to run backwards if they come off or it will be certain death the successful hero looks down from the top of the climb and sees she is actually standing around with a ton of slack out watching some guy on another route.
 Kemics 06 Jun 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

Like!
loopyone 06 Jun 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to duchessofmalfi)
> [...]
>
> or as "our" new insult goes...
>
> MAN UP PRINCESS!!!!

We like to go with 'you've dropped your lipstick'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...