UKC

20ish litre running bag recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 probablylost 10 Mar 2022

I'm looking for a 20ish litre running bag, preferably vest style (i.e. low bounce, lots of accessible pockets), for mountain marathons through to commuting.

I've got an ancient OMM 20l rucksack that is threadbare. Having been spoiled by vest style packs in smaller sizes I got an ultimate direction fastpack which on paper was perfect and felt ok in the shop but has proven to be extremely uncomfortable in use.

Does anyone have any recommendations of alternatives to try?

In reply to probablylost:

I got on really well with the Montane Gecko VP20+ with lighter loads, but once fully packed found the shoulder straps really rubbed. They're the same width/thickness on the VP5+, which is obvioulsy a lot smaller, and it feels like the design needed adapting for the increased capacity. That said, I only found this to be an issue when it was absolutely full to the brim.

I've just received the new/updated Montane Trailblazer 20, which could be suitable, but is potentially a little too fastpack and not enough running pack for what you're looking for. I'll try and give it some good use over the next few whiles so I can offer a more firm opinion on it, as thus far I've only had a play about with it in the house.

Here's a link to the review of the Gecko VP20+: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/small/montane_running_packs_gecko...

climberchristy 10 Mar 2022

Don't know if, at 15L, it is quite voluminous enough for you, but the Montane Razor is very comfortable when fully loaded. I use it for all of my offroad runs even if I'm carrying very little as its so comfortable. I've used it on a 55 mile ultra (11 hours) with no issues re rubbing etc. 

OP probablylost 10 Mar 2022
In reply to climberchristy:

I've got one! It's brilliant. That's what I use for most runs in the hills in winter, just after something a wee bit bigger.

Rob: cheers, I'll have to find a gecko 20 to try on loaded. It was shoulder rub that ruled the ultimate direction pack out though, maybe I've got pointy collar bones. Be interesting to see how the new trailblazer shapes up.

Ferretino 10 Mar 2022

I'm currently using a Montanve VP 12 (replacement to a Salomon S Lab 12 which I've used over last few years).
I love the vest styles but find them a bit wanting on size, and also accessible pockets for bigger days out and general faffing with stuff...

My current solution to both carrying a bit more and having more flexibility/accesability is combining the Montane VP 12 with a Montane 3l bum bag (Trailblazer 3) and I'm pretty happy. It allows me to fill the main vest with stuff that I tend not to need/use - emergency kit, spare 'unused' clothes that races might demand etc. Means I rarely take the pack off which reduces faff and innevitable freezing back etc... I find I'm very disinclined while on the move to take the pack off to get at something minor and generally soldier on without which is not always the best thing to do. Having the bum bag gives me 2 side pockets and one main compartment that I use to max out things I want to keep to hand, gloves, buff, glasses, food, compass, maps, nav device etc in combination with the front facing pockets on the main pack.

So far I've been very happy. No bounce or chaffage even on some decently long and winter runs and a lot easier to access things while still moving. The bum bag sits at the front nicely so you can be walking or jogging while accessing things or swizzle it behind and tighten up when not needing access. Also, I found I could esily have z poles on the front of the VP vest and an ice axe simply hooked through the belt of the bum bag without either being in the way of arms or stride when one or other was not in use.

Different approach, not perfect perhaps if you need something properly large (or which will take something large in one go) but so far working for me better than just a bigger sack on my back. Perhaps try the bumbag combo with your existing 15 litre Razor?

George Ormerod 10 Mar 2022

I've got an Ultimate Direction Fastpack 40 for hiking.  It's an excellent pack and the 20l version would suit you I think.  A lot of people say that, oh, you can fit everything you need in a 12l pack, but I can't; my winter mitts alone fill a 10l bag (well, without squashing them a lot), leaving aside everything else I need. 

Dr.S at work 11 Mar 2022
In reply to George Ormerod:

Is it comfy though?

OP probablylost 11 Mar 2022
In reply to Ferretino:

That's definitely worth a go, cheers!

OP probablylost 11 Mar 2022
In reply to George Ormerod:

I thought the fastpack 20 looked ideal so bought one. Unfortunately on the current version the chest straps adjust by sliding on some sort of stiff piping which covers my collar bones and quickly becomes unbearable. Looking at the reviews on the UD website there are a few other people complaining about the same thing. There's a few other petty annoyances with pockets and straps. Anyway it's going on ebay hence this enquiry!

In reply to Ferretino:

I've not used this system personally, but have considered using it on more than one occasion for the exact reasons you've just outlined - it's incredibly efficient.

Basically anything that stops you from having to stop seems like a good idea. I've seen a lot of folk using the OMM Chest Pod during The Spine, but always thought it looked a little bulky/cumbersome to run in, whereas a bumbag fits in pretty neathy underneath your running vest.

Maybe I'll have to give it a go before doing the Summer Spine, because it's certainly a system that appeals...

George Ormerod 11 Mar 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Yes.  If you load it up (which I can with a 40l pack) it's reaching the limits of a running vest shoulder strap arrangement.  The bottom of the pack moves from side to side inducing a but of rub on the lower back, but that's cured by using the waist belt.

George Ormerod 11 Mar 2022

Not my experience.  Maybe my man-boobs, sorry muscular pecs, keep this off my collar bones.

morpcat 19 Apr 2022

What are the concerns with the OMM Ultra 20? I find it exceptionally comfortable and practical. Mine has lasted through a surprising amount of abuse, although I would certainly never go as far to call it 'durable' 

Edit: I just re-read... You're looking for more pockets on the front. I find the hip pockets on the OMM to be substantial and you can also attach some extras to the straps for easy access.

Post edited at 09:23
 neuromancer 19 Apr 2022

Not run with it but tried on the Salomon XA 25 and that felt amazing in the shop. Also significantly lighter than the UD pack.

That trailblazer looks good but no space for soft bottles at the front a huge oversight?

Bog ninja 19 Apr 2022

I’ve got a gecko vp 20, I found it is quite comfortable loaded up with kit. I’ve done a few hill runs with it now. I actually loaded it up with some heavy stuff for an ecological survey in a remote area like a Samsung tablet for GIS mapping, spare batteries, gps and spare layers and it was quite comfortable on the run there on trail and off road and it did not bounce about. I then used it for a 5 hour hike up a hill in Glen Strathfarrar and again no problems. I also have a trailblazer 30 but I prefer the more numerous and accessible pockets on the gecko. 

Paddy_nolan 19 Apr 2022

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1493009281580703084/image?q=black...

I bought one of these for multi-pitch days, and used it for running a few times (though I am more of a runner who runs to keep fit for climbing). And I found this bag comfy and very light, though not sure if this is of any use?

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...