UKC

Best mountain races?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Esparta 21 May 2023

Hiya,

I love running mountain running and I am looking at signing up some races for next year.

From your point of view, what are the best fell/mountain/sky running races you would recommend (within the UK)?

Thanks!

Lucy

plyometrics 21 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

Old County Tops. 

Mark Eddy 21 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

Ennerdale horseshoe is ace and a proper challenge. The Wasdale horseshoe too.

For something shorter there's the Dunnerdale. Or Fairfield at intermediate distance.

I think these are all still FRA events, so organised by local clubs and great value.

DaveHK 21 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

Jura, Ben Nevis and Glamaig.

Jura for the whole weekend atmosphere. Ben Nevis because it's Ben Nevis and Glamaig because it's bonkers and still the only race where I've been passed by someone upside-down and airborne.

Worth noting that some races require you to have done other races in order to qualify for entry. 

Post edited at 17:46
 NorthernGoat 21 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

Lake District mountain trial. It's hard, it's tough, it takes you to obscure little bits of the lakes which other races don't. It's a classic. After that, stuff likes the Saunders MM is what I enjoy but none of them are big ridgeline/horseshoe style running. 

Not all "running" is running sometimes it's just bashing through bogs and heather. If that's not what you're after then maybe mountain marathons aren't for you.

It depends what you want if you want a professional and slick event, I'd say Ourea events races, and Charlie Spronsons skyrunning events are probably where to look, if you are after a low key grassroots feel the lakes classic fellraces are where it's it. 

Forest Dump 21 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

Plenty of Youtube coverage of this years Ultra Tour Mont Blanc Snowdonia, if you fancy that

lowersharpnose 21 May 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

passed by someone upside-down and airborne

Please explain!  Sounds fab.

Tom the tall 21 May 2023
In reply to Esparta: In the lakes, the classic long A races would be worth looking at, grassroots approach to amazing races. Especially Borrowdale, Wasdale, Ennerdale and Langdale. There's loads, get on the FRA web page and see what you fancy! Be aware some have pre-requirements for experience and skills, and this can be gained on the shorter or lower altitude races.

Alternatively, pay a lot more for the corporate experience, t shirts and medals etc but the actually running will be no better!

DaveHK 21 May 2023
In reply to lowersharpnose:

> passed by someone upside-down and airborne

> Please explain!  Sounds fab.

A guy tumbling down the scree passed me cartwheeling then came to a halt a bit below, I said, 'are you OK?' he said 'yes' and we both carried on. That's hill racing. 😀

Robert Durran 21 May 2023
In reply to Forest Dump:

> Plenty of Youtube coverage of this years Ultra Tour Mont Blanc Snowdonia, if you fancy that

That sounds a tad long! And presumably rather flat in the middle parts?

Forest Dump 22 May 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

4 different length routes from 25k to 100mile

DaveHK 22 May 2023
In reply to Forest Dump:

> 4 different length routes from 25k to 100mile

Whoosh! 

ablackett 22 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

At the other end of the scale from the likes of Wasdale, Ennerdale etc. you should look at

Grasmere Guides Race (2.5km) - from the Grasmere show ground and a stadium feel to the finish along with a huge amount of history.

Gummers Howe Race, row across winderemere in ann old wooden boat and race up and down Gunners Howe then row back again.

Conniston Gullys (next Sunday) at 2km with 350m of ascent it’s ridiculously steep and rough on the climb and the descent. Great fun.

tony 22 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

The Scottish Hill Runners website lists hill and mountain races in Scotland:

https://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/Calendar.aspx

There's any number of decent races of all lengths and ascents - you could be racing every weekend if you fancied it.

ben b 22 May 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I broke 3 ribs at the Glamaig in 25 years ago - and I wasn't even running...

b

Myfyr Tomos 22 May 2023
In reply to Esparta:

The Cader Idris Race was held on Saturday. Great atmosphere in Dolgellau at the start/finish and on the hill. Full entry of 300 as usual - took the timing equipment to the top with a quad bike. 😉 Get your entry in early next year to avoid disappointment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...