UKC

share some stretching advice with a punter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dom Whillans 19 May 2013
Keeping the necessary preamble to minimum... I lost a good friend (and UKC regular) last year to cancer and so I thought that I'd commit myself to raising some funds for Macmillan, to remember his passing a year on.
Macmillan have kindly given me a place on the Berlin marathon in September.
I can run a bit (was doing off road 10km's last year in under 50 minutes) and have a good level of fitness and the ability to grind things out when necessary, but I've not run in around 6 months and 10km at the moment hurts; I can take the breathing and heart rate issues and today's 10km (road) was 55minutes, but I really think that I need to get stretching post-run in order to stop my lower legs being such agony... any advice? Obviously, I need to run a LOT further in the near future!
In reply to Dom Whillans: I am a big fan of self massage using a faom roller or towel wrapped around a rolling pin rather than stretching in the traditional way.
 steveriley 20 May 2013
I had a post race rubdown after a long race last week. The very kind man inflicting all kinds of discomfort whispered conspirationally 'you need to stretch'. I agreed with him, and have gone so far as to look at the Bob Anderson book on the shelf. Every manner of stretch in there.
 goosebump 20 May 2013
In reply to Dom Whillans:
Depending on what tickles your fancy, there is a good book called yoga for athletes (written by triathlete who is also a yoga teacher), which has post run stretches to do. Ooooooh pigeon pose is tough on the arse. I like the book a lot, but its probably best if you have a basic idea of yoga poses to start with.

And +1 to the foam roller suggestion. Spiky massage balls are also good for getting at knotty calves. If its not agonising you are doing it wrong
OP Dom Whillans 20 May 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
cheers all... i'm currently using the rolling pin! beating my ITB like it's a steak that needs tenderising and trying to ease off my calf knots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...