UKC

Advice for 1 ski quiver (including touring)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dangermouse79 05 Feb 2017
Afternoon all.

I'm looking to upgrade my skis and am after some advice. The budget only stretches to one pair so I am looking for something that will be good for off piste and touring but also have reasonable performance on piste.

I am 183cm tall, weigh 78kg, advanced intermediate skier. Time is usually spent about 50/50 on piste and off piste in resort. I am also planning to use for some touring too (got a trip to Lyngen coming up in April and like to do the odd day tour).

I've been looking for skis that are between 90-100mm underfoot (probably closer to 100) to get the balance between enough float but something that can still carve reasonably, and also not too heavy for touring. Some rocker but not too much. The plan is to mount fritschi freeride bindings from my current skis, with a view to upgrading to the fritschi tecton when this comes out next season.

I'm currently looking at the Dynastar Cham 97 and Fischer Ranger 98 as these seem to be the best suited to my needs and have good reviews. Have also looked at Volka Mantras and Atomic Vantage 100 but these are both a little bit heavier so would be harder work on the up. Does anyone have experience of these skis or any others that might do the job?

Thanks in advance.
 Postmanpat 05 Feb 2017
In reply to edwardsbbrown:

I've used the Cham 97 for piste, off piste and a bit of touring (max 3 hours per day). It's a very good all round ski from hard or even icy piste to variable off piste. It's obviously heavy compared to a touring ski so there's no way I'd use it for a real touring trip but for a few hundred feet here and there it's OK. (used Look XM touring binding)
 AdrianC 05 Feb 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Hmmm. I was about to reply about what an excellent choice the Cham 97 would be! When it originally appeared there were two versions; the Cham 97 and the Cham 97 HM which was considerably lighter and aimed at touring. I'm used to the HMs and remember nearly dropping a pair of the normal ones when handed them - even with Dynafits on. They now seem to have rolled them into one version but it's only a couple of hundred grammes heavier than the original HM, from memory.

So, in reply to the OP, I'd still have the Dynastars on my list but maybe check on Postmanpat's point and compare the weights before writing them off as too heavy for touring.
paraffin 05 Feb 2017
Good choice! All those skis would do the job admirably.
Also consider:
Black Crows Chamox
Zag Ubac
Avoid:
Fischer Hannibal's
Remember although you may weigh 78 Kg, you will be carrying quite a few extra kgs of kit therefor a more robust ski will get you through the crap
 galpinos 05 Feb 2017

I have a 1 ski set up. Rossi Soul 7s (original in 180, should have gone 188) and Marker F12. Has been used for family piste holidays, off piste and day touring. Would happy use it for multi day tours despite obviously being heavier than a dedicated touring rig.

Soul 7s
Piste - Obvious limitations as they are wife but side cut allows them to actually be quite fun carvers, though getting over the top edge can be a challenge. Very icy posted or high speeds obviously emphasises their lack of stiffness but they are capabale enough
Off-piste - Total playful joy in powder though again, at high speeds they start to suffer. For up to medium speeds, playful skiing and trees they are ace. Light tip and tail, easy to initiate turn but will hook up if careless in less than ideal snow. Not sastrugi charger but not really a priority.
Touring - perfectly fine. Obviously they struggle on a steep icy skin track but good technique overcome some of this. A minimal side cut ski would obviously be better but would make it less of an all rounder. Thoroughly enjoyable in descent but funky snow makes you work harder than a slugger ski would, better than a floppy skinny touring ski though obviously.

Marker F12 - picked over the Fritschis as they ski far better (none of the slop) and skill tour well. Picked over Dynafit as chasing kids around a resort and having to get in and out of them a lot I couldn't face the Dynafiddles again.

Basically, I'm really happy with my set up. A bit jack if all trades master of mine but allows me to just take one set on holiday and I can do what I want depending on conditions.

(For info, paired with Scarpa Freedom SL boots)

HeMa 05 Feb 2017

Were I on the market, I'd get the Black Crows Corvus Freebird, in 18something as I'm small, old and all that.

Stiff enough the handle hardback conditions and speed. Wide enough to float in the lightest Utah blower (with enough speed ). And light enough for actual touring.

Remember, unless over 50% of your skiing is solely earned you should prioritize on other aspects. Sure, the misery stix'es are fun going up... but when you'd wish to clock big turns on a big open field in crud... well the misery stix is just that.
 DaveHK 05 Feb 2017

I've got Atomic Vantage 95s and really like them. I haven't toured on them but I would for tours where I was prioritising the downs i.e. not massive ups. They're relatively light for a ski of that sort I think.
James Jackson 05 Feb 2017
In reply to AdrianC / edwardsbbrown / Postmanpat :
I primarily ski tour / ski mountaineer, with a minimum of piste days. I have two pairs in my quiver - Movement Response X (super-light touring ski) with Dynafit Radical ST bindings, and Dynastar Cham 2.0 107mm with Radical ST 2 bindings. While the Movement setup is the lightest by some margin, I hardly ever use them now - only when the Chams are out of action for whatever reason. For the fun of the downhill, it's worth taking a little bit of a hit for some extra weight, and I just love the 107s. They are not super-heavy by a long stretch (and hey, you just get used to it i.e. fitter and stronger, for touring) and are just so much fun to ski. I'll buy another pair when these ones are too rock-scarred to continue (I'm verging on 'the philosopher's bases' at the moment).

The Cham 2.0 97mm also gets spoken of very highly. If you want a similar-shaped ski, but in a lighter still frame, look at the Dynastar Mythic. Friends who have those love them, and say they are broadly similar in feel to the Cham, just with the usual downsides that lightweight skis have in variable snow.
Post edited at 22:03
SpartanOne 06 Feb 2017

My set up and cant find any issues other than weight!

Super bomber tourer and unreal performance on piste and even in the park is -

Line Sir Francis Bacon
Salomon guardian binding
Salomon quest touring boots
BD skins
BD expedition iii poles

As i say - bomber!!

Cheers
 John2 06 Feb 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

I would agree with that. I borrowed a pair of Movement skis for a day tour last month, and while they were very light I thought some of that advantage was negated in the uphills by the effort needed to push the wide profile through the snow. They were juddery pushing through new powder onto a harder base, and they had no 'bounce'. It was a relief to get my own Dynastars back the next day.
 HeMa 06 Feb 2017
In reply to John2:

^^^

Soft skis are really nice in say blower pow and tight trees...

Not so much, if it is even slightly cruddy, hard or you want to amp up on the speed.

Same goes with turn radii. Too tight (sub 20m, although I prefer in the high 20s personally) and the ski will feel twitchy, plus you can always make the ski turn quicker than the turn radii but applying force to flex them (either brute force, speed or both).

Small turn radii soft skis are nice, if you prefer guido-turns:
http://offpistemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/tracks729.jpg

And stiffer, longer turn radii skis are nice for real turns:
http://www.peteoswald.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/P8200110.jpg
 Jim 1003 06 Feb 2017
I have Mantras, very good ski...I do tour with them, but they are on the heavy side for that, but I keep fit, and have used them on 4000m peaks.
I am not keen on lightweight skis and technical bindings, but that's personal preference...they are generally rubbish on icy/hard snow, and a pain in the arse generally....
Post edited at 09:08
 Postmanpat 06 Feb 2017
In reply to AdrianC:

> So, in reply to the OP, I'd still have the Dynastars on my list but maybe check on Postmanpat's point and compare the weights before writing them off as too heavy for touring.
>
Just to clarify, for up to about 1000m of uphill a day the Cham 97s are probably OK if you're fit, and they cover all the bases for the downhill stuff. It's a personal choice but if I were doing any more uphill than that I'd feel the need to to save energy y by converting to a lightweight touring ski. But I'm getting old!

James Jackson 06 Feb 2017
In reply to HeMa:

> Same goes with turn radii. Too tight (sub 20m, although I prefer in the high 20s personally) and the ski will feel twitchy, plus you can always make the ski turn quicker than the turn radii but applying force to flex them (either brute force, speed or both).

This also comes down to one's own personal skiing style, and the kind of things one skis. I tend to seek out couloirs etc, where a twitchy ski can be rather handy. The Chams have an 18m radius, so it's no GS ski, but they do enjoy charging too. The thing I really like is how easy it is to slarve them around in tight terrain, yet engage the edge when I need it.

With the Movements, they have the best edge hold of any ski I've been on, but as mentioned above do lack the 'bounce' and cutting ability of a heavier ski. That said, if I am on piste I tend to take them over the Chams as they ski a lot more like a traditional ski edge-to-edge and can go very fast...
 HeMa 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Just to clarify, for up to about 1000m of uphill a day the Cham 97s are probably OK if you're fit, and they cover all the bases for the downhill stuff. It's a personal choice but if I were doing any more uphill than that I'd feel the need to to save energy y by converting to a lightweight touring ski. But I'm getting old!

I've done 1500 to 2500m days with heavier skis than Cham 97s... And I'm far from being fit, nor young.

Postmanpat 06 Feb 2017
In reply to HeMa:

> I've done 1500 to 2500m days with heavier skis than Cham 97s... And I'm far from being fit, nor young.

You may just be better at it than me!!
 HeMa 06 Feb 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

Or I cheat and do them tours in Norway... so start from sealevel.

The few 1500m days I've done in Cham without really acclimatizing nearly killed me. Not to mention riding the last tram up Argentiere and then going at Mach Looney non stop all the way down. Bad snow cover on the lower portion made things really interesting, as did doing tele turns the whole way...
 vscott 06 Feb 2017

Ski section of this http://www.alpine-guides.com/ski/insider-knowledge-ski/ski-touring-equipmen... (bottom of page) worth a read if not already seen.
 GraB 06 Feb 2017
In reply to vscott:

One word of warning if thinking about the Mythics.. (someone further up the thread mentioned them). A mate is on his second pair in 2 seasons . The first pair went back after 3-4 weeks skiing after they seemed to loose what camber (and pop) they had. Seemed there was a bad batch and Dynastar took it on the chin. Second pair (this years' model) have gone exactly the same way in less time. So those will doubtless also be going back to Dynastar via BackcountryUK.

I'm sure they're lovely skis (in fact he still really likes them, even with them going flat), but I don't think I could personally handle the hassle. I've not heard of any similar issues with the Chams or the cheaper Mythics so it may just be limited to the full carbon version of the Mythics.
 kevin stephens 06 Feb 2017
Cham 97s are very popular but they didn't click with me as I don't enjoy tip rockers. I've just got Whitedot R 98s which seem a great all rounder to me. I've only had one day on them so far. Although 20m radius a slight camber and flexible enough to carve and be very nimble on piste. Ok in the crud but not heavy and stiff enough to really blast through it (my WD Preachers are better for that but can be harder work on piste and not great tourers). Check out the reviews on th R.98s and see what you think
James Jackson 06 Feb 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

You see a lot of Whitedot skis around the Scottish hills so they are definitely a popular choice.
 HeMa 06 Feb 2017

Mainly 'cause they're a british brand...

Same reason black crows and dynastars are popular in Cham...
 ed woods 06 Feb 2017

Get R98s. They're great. Try and get a deal on some Carbonlites. If I had to choose one ski I'd keep those. The bases look cool when you go fast: https://www.instagram.com/p/BD2RulaF1oD/
James Jackson 07 Feb 2017
In reply to HeMa:

> Mainly 'cause they're a british brand...Same reason black crows and dynastars are popular in Cham...

I hear ya'. I buck the trend by rocking the Chamonix skis in Scotland!
 london_huddy 07 Feb 2017
iIn reply to edwardsbbrown:

I've spent the last 3 years on DPS Wailer 112s (the carbon version) with Dynafit Beasts. I don't ski much resort stuff other than to get to lift served off-piste and to gain height for tours. If I was doing it again, I'd probably do the Wailer 99s with a lighter binding (Radical etc). My 112s have done several weeks in Whistler and Engelberg as well as a 3 week ski touring expedition to Greenland, plus a few odd trips to resorts and I love skiing on them, they totally changed my skiing (for the better) and I'd buy another pain tomorrow.
 SteveJC94 08 Feb 2017

You could consider either the Dynafit Dhaulagiri or Meteorite. Both have solid downhill performance and the Dhaulagiri particularly is crazy light. The salomon QST 99 could be a good option as well. It carved amazingly for a wider ski and the tip/tail rocker gives nice float in powder.
 quantum1 09 Feb 2017

+1 for the whitedot R98 carbonlites.
They are a great all-round freeride, touring & ski mountaineering ski.
The carbon construction keeps the swing weight really low so they can be thrown around effortlessly and are nice & light for the uphills. The tip rocker makes light work of variable snow, crud & windslab as well as ensuring that the tip will never dive. The stiffness in the mid section & high torsional stiffness gives great hard snow edge hold for a ski of this width whilst the tail shape can either lock in to the turn or smear as required. And their longish radius gives excellent stability on drops & high speed run outs. Plus they suit equally well alpine, touring or telemark bindings
 Kimberley 09 Feb 2017

I've had a pair of Trab Ripido's which have been excellent for touring and piste, what is of course important is that you can get them at Ski Bartlett on sale for £203 - bargain !
 rocksol 09 Feb 2017

Cham 97 2.0 fantastic skis on and off piste and not too heavy for touring
 earlsdonwhu 09 Feb 2017
In reply to paraffin:

What are your objections to the Hannibals? Seem to get good reviews.
 earlsdonwhu 09 Feb 2017
I tested the Cham 97 recently and was quite impressed by weight and performance both on and off piste in a range of snow. The guy in the shop said people love them or hate them but that few had a middling opinion.
I also had a go on Black Crows Camox Freebirds.... They were solid and predictable but definitely on the stiff side. Good in crud but I actually preferred the Salomon QST 99.... Great on piste with a bit more of a softer float off piste.

I would be keen to hear opinions on the Blizzard Zero G 95. Another fantastically light offering which sounds like it is stiff and avoids chatter.
Post edited at 18:23
 DaveHK 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Kimberley:

> I've had a pair of Trab Ripido's which have been excellent for touring and piste, what is of course important is that you can get them at Ski Bartlett on sale for £203 - bargain !

Ripidos are great skis but very different from the kind of thing the OP is talking about.
 damowilk 09 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I've got the Zero G 85, and demoed the 95s: surprisingly good for such a light ski, but they still clatter on crud etc, they just won't have the weight to bust through much. They're also a little bit hooky on turns releasing the tail, but this may be because the tail has no rocker, which I like for touring.
Even the 85s ski pretty good in powder, and I've really enjoyed getting used to a narrower ski than the 100-110 I've generally been skiing before.
And the weight, particularly with a Kreuzspitze GT binding, is amazing.

My skiing profile is very different to the OP though, probably 80% backcountry, and I would t recommend the Zero G for their requirements.
OP dangermouse79 09 Feb 2017

Hi all, thanks for all the advice, great range of opinions there.

As I said in the original post, this ski will be used for resort skiing probably more than touring so I am after something that will ski well on and off the piste and accept that this means a slightly heavier ski than a dedicated touring ski. From what I understand, 1600-1800g seems a good compromise.

Currently the Cham seems like the best option, partly as it available pretty cheaply. The whitest r98 looks great but is a lot more pricey. Does anyone have experience of the scott super guide? Has been recommended to me on another forum. Seems to be a bit lighter than the cham but with similar dimensions.

The other consideration is ski length. The cham for example comes in 178s and 184s. I am 183cm and 78kg. I am currently skiing on 176 scott neos and wonder if I might find the 184 unwieldy, particularly for kick turns and moguls. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
paraffin 09 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> What are your objections to the Hannibals? Seem to get good reviews.

Hannibals are made of balsa wood and glue. I had a pair of Hannibals this time last year and managed to delaminate them less than a week. Fischer held their hands up and admitted fault. Ekosport the seller were not so quick in processing the refund. Never ever again.
Now riding on Zag Rocks 184 cm. Solid for a big fella.
James Jackson 09 Feb 2017
> I am currently skiing on 176 scott neos and wonder if I might find the 184 unwieldy, particularly for kick turns and moguls. Any thoughts?Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

They ski shorter than their given length due to the size of the rocker. They are also super-manoeuvrable so don't feel as long as they could. I'm 190cm tall and ski the 189cm Chams, and they are spot on.

I reminded myself how much fun they are by having a good charge around Glenshee yesterday - brings a grin to my face!
Post edited at 19:53
 earlsdonwhu 09 Feb 2017

Major problem is that the Chams have horrible graphics.
James Jackson 09 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

You reckon? Sure you're not thinking about the old ones (which did have horrible, horrible graphics!). I think these look OK:

http://www.dynastar.com/en-gb/product/cham-20-97
 HeMa 10 Feb 2017

> The other consideration is ski length.

Short skis suck, and long skis truck...

> The cham for example comes in 178s and 184s. I am 183cm and 78kg.

189 or what ever is the correct length for ya.

I'm small (70kg and 174), and my small skis are 180s. Liftserved, I'll be generally rockin' high 180s to mid 195cm.

spragglerocks 10 Feb 2017

My boyfriend has the Scott Superguides (95) and thinks they are great. They seem to ski very well for a light ski but given that touring isn't your main focus then you are probably better off with something a bit heavier. I tried out the Whitedot R98 and they were great, there were some good deals on the website for previous years' graphics. The R98 used to be called something else (maybe Ranger) and they had to change it due to a copyright issue so they sold off the old stock. You might be lucky and pick up a bargain but I haven't looked since the end of last year.

Neither of us like the Cham 97's. They seem to chatter a lot on the hard pack due to the massive rocker at the front and they ski pretty short. My main issue is that 166 is too small and 172 a bit long.

I'd go for something around 3kg or slightly over for the pair if you want to ski mainly in resort - too light and they aren't fun to ski. Definitely aim for something in the 95-105 range for what you want, fun in powder and off piste, OK on piste and manageable for touring. Good reviews on the skiclubuk site of various options.
 earlsdonwhu 10 Feb 2017

In reply to spragglerock

I get put off the Scotts with the holes in the tip which makes me think they must be flimsy.
Post edited at 16:45
 blurty 10 Feb 2017
In reply to spragglerocks:

> My boyfriend has the Scott Superguides (95) and thinks they are great.

I have some of these for touring; I used them on-piste in hard icy conditions at Grand Montets at New Year, they were absolutely great.

A quite light & stiff ski that skis shorter than the nominal length.

Last year's model is going for £250pr or so at the moment.

I'd be happy to use them as my only skis
 rocksol 10 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

You must be colour blind ! And they show up really well if you were to lose one
 earlsdonwhu 10 Feb 2017
In reply to rocksol:

Think the ones I tried were blue and predominantly black.... Presumably 2015 model.
 earlsdonwhu 10 Feb 2017
In reply to blurty:

Where have you seen them at about 250 quid? Thanks

blurty 10 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

They had some at Bergzeit - just checked, looks like they're gone now sorry
 planetmarshall 10 Feb 2017

Following this discussion with interest. What bindings would you get to complement Cham 97s? For someone with close to zero interest in piste skiing.
 HeMa 10 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

Tech bindings...

Pick your poison, they all have their pro's and cons.

For what it is worth, my pick was Beast 16.
James Jackson 10 Feb 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:
Agree with HeMa. I don't go hucking off silly things, so I have no need for the Beast. I have Radical ST 2.0s on mine, and they are great for just about everything (except jumping off big cliffs). I ski them aggressively, and happily use them in exposed terrain, and have never had any problems. Note that, unless it's changed since it first came out, the Beast doesn't have a flat tour mode.
Post edited at 19:29
James Jackson 10 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

> Think the ones I tried were blue and predominantly black.... Presumably 2015 model.

Yep, and they would have been heavier than the Cham 2 (which essentially combined the Cham and Cham HM into one line of skis).
 Stairclimber 11 Feb 2017

I have both Mantras and Cham. Mantras are fitted with Alpine bindings and work really well on all snow conditions, perhaps the nearest you can get to a one ski quiver using lifts, but I wouldn't want to lug them uphill. Chams are the high mountain version in 107, fitted with pin touring bindings. Great for soft snow but rattle and bounce on hard pistes. Long uphill stints are tiring, but they get you up for some fun descents.
Don't kid yourself that you can find one ski for all uses. Get one good pair for your main emphasis and pick up some cheap ex hire ones to complement them. You'll have more choice for total piste skis to carve around on, so invest heavily in the touring set up, which you can bring out on powder days and fit your needs for touring.
False economy to try and trim the good all round piste/powder skis down to an acceptable touring weight as you'll need to spend so much money on relatively fragile bindings.
Minimum two pairs of skis to be happy otherwise you'll be constantly frustrated. Set aside an amount of money and juggle the permutations between a wish list and end of season sale availability.
 spragglerocks 11 Feb 2017
So current Cham 97's are 3.4kg for a pair versus Superguides at 2.6kg for a pair.

I thought the only difference this year on the Scott's were the graphics, they were New last year.

Still think the Scott's might be a bit light given your focus on lift served off piste/piste but they do ski well for a light ski.

Maybe the OP should go and hire some and see how you get on.
Post edited at 08:28
 kevin stephens 11 Feb 2017
In reply to Stairclimber:

> False economy to try and trim the good all round piste/powder skis down to an acceptable touring weight as you'll need to spend so much money on relatively fragile bindings. Minimum two pairs of skis to be happy otherwise you'll be constantly frustrated. Set aside an amount of money and juggle the permutations between a wish list and end of season sale availability.

Quiver killers to share bindings between skis can ease the cost of multiple skis and the hassle of flying with them
 Stairclimber 11 Feb 2017

What are quiver killers?
 Stairclimber 12 Feb 2017

Thanks. Interesting.
 Jim 1003 13 Feb 2017
In reply to Stairclimber:
> What are quiver killers?

Things that you fit if you are a tight bast+rd and you want your binding screws to pull out of your skis...
Post edited at 22:25
 HeMa 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim 1003:

> ... you want your binding screws to pull out of your skis...

Sorry to say, that you fvcked up the mount... It ain't the inserts that were the culprit, but who ever botched up the mount...

kevin stephens 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim 1003:
Has that actually happened to you?
Does being tight mean being able to get 3 pairs of skis in one bag?
Post edited at 07:29
 earlsdonwhu 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Jim 1003:

Quiver Killers are threaded inserts for ski binding mounting holes that once installed & with the bindings screws exchanged for M5 machine screws, allow the bindings to be removed/reinstalled as often as you like - just like snowboard bindings.

The inserts are made from non rusting stainless steel & have a closed end to give a water tight seal to the skis core. The coarse outer thread grips the skis core whilst the fine rolled inner thread gives the M5 bindings screws a metal to metal fixing to the ski, all of which combines to give a mount that's over 40% stronger than a conventional binding mount.

According to the Piste Office website...and he's fitted thousands.
 Jim 1003 16 Feb 2017
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Not likely to list the failures on his website...
 kevin stephens 18 Mar 2017
In reply to kevin stephens: update on the Whitedot R.98 skis, although designed for touring they are proving to be brilliant all rounder. Very nimble on a wide range of piste conditions including ice (hold an edge well) bumps, short and long turns. Great off piste in crusty conditions and spring snow. Haven't tried deep fresh snow yet but hopefully a dump on the way for next week. The skis have Dynafit Radical 2 bindings which have also been great (after a few days practice to get my eye in), releasing when the need to and not when they don't. Depending on how they do in the next powder dump I may even sell my other skis.

PGD 18 Mar 2017

I skied a pair of White Dot R108 for a week this year. Just hard packed stuff. Need to try them in soft snow but they were fun in probably the worst conditions for them. 26 m radius means you do tend to go fairly quick when carving.
 john_mx 18 Mar 2017

Hello,

I have the black diamond carbon aspect with marker F12 tour bindings and it works amazingly well

I don't think they make the carbon aspect any more but they have been replaced with the helio, would definitely be worth checking them both out

if you can still get the carbon aspect you might get them at a good price

http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...