UKC

Which skis for Vallée Blanche

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 tomsan91 03 Mar 2024

I am looking for some advice from people that have been down the Vallée Blanche in the last couple of year on what ski set up to take. I've heard the glacier melting has left quite a substantial number of steps to climb back to the train these days, so I am leaning more towards taking my touring gear (atomic backland 95s with Scarpa Maestrale boots) over my head Kore 105s with a standard alpine boot. Will being looking to do this around the 19th - 20th of March with a guide as I will be going solo.

Any views on this will be appreciated

Tom

philipjardine 03 Mar 2024
In reply to tomsan91:

a new lift up from the glacier opened a few weeks ago.  so dont worry about taking heavy kit.  Unfortunately the design is poor and there have been massive queues at the top but not much you can do about that.  

Carless 03 Mar 2024
In reply to tomsan91:

Remember to go up to the viewing platform up the Midi and walking down the ridge is more comfortable with crampons 

Darron 03 Mar 2024
In reply to tomsan91:

Depends on conditions I suppose but when I did it some years ago there were two ‘trenches’ with handrails down the arête. Also pisteur type chappies to help out if needed. Everyone was roped up to a guide but there was absolutely no need. We didn’t have a guide as I felt that, as it had been good weather for a number of days, the valley would be tracked out. It was. We just treated as a normal run with a bit of side slipping to pass the Geant icefall. Stopped for a beer at the Requin refuge too. All very enjoyable.

kathrync 18 Mar 2024
In reply to philipjardine:

> a new lift up from the glacier opened a few weeks ago.  so dont worry about taking heavy kit.  Unfortunately the design is poor and there have been massive queues at the top but not much you can do about that.  

This. You don't need to walk up the stairs any more.

I've seen some photos indicating that the VB was in great condition with nice fresh snow this weekend, but it was very scoured when I did it. I was glad I had taken heavier skis with better edge-hold, even if I did have to carry them up the stairs at the end!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...