UKC

24 Peaks Challenge instead of 3 Peaks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charliemitch 27 Jun 2020

Hi, 

I’m looking to do a big challenge, I initially had my heart set on the 3 peaks in 24 hours but you after some research and reading posts on here I have been put off. 

As a result I started looking at alternative challenges and came across the 24 Peaks in the Lake District. I’m fairly fit and do some hill walking occasionally but I’m wondering how difficult and achievable this challenge will be? What’s the recommended training time? 

Or any alternative suggestions. I’ve already done the Yorkshire 3 Peaks a few years ago so not that one. 
Any advice/ suggestions would be great. Thanks  

In reply to Charliemitch:

How about doing the Irish 3,000' peaks?  You can set your own time boundary; I'd suggest a week to enjoy them rather than just giving yourself an achievement 'tick'.

T.

Andypeak 27 Jun 2020

Welsh 3000s is a good challenge. All the 3000 foot peaks in Snowdonia in 24 hours

Bacon Butty 27 Jun 2020

Get on a GPS planner, I use Walkhighlands - logon for 25k maps, pick an area and get planning.
It's what I do, you find loads of great  places that you'd never discover otherwise.
Start with a rough plot and hone it down to desired length and height gain required.
Use google Earth as well to check paths etc.

Mark Eddy 27 Jun 2020

Training time will depend on your current fitness level and how much time you can devote to training and being in the mountains. But even as a fit, occasional hill walker, you could be good to go later this summer. Also depends on how much you want to enjoy or endure the experience. More training = more enjoyment as you will be far better prepared for it.

I've taken quite a few people on the 24 peaks challenge, sometimes as part of big events, and many manage it just fine. Do it over 2 days and ideally get some support to shuttle your spare overnight kit, or pack light. There are numerous businesses here in the Lakes that offer shuttle services at very reasonable rates. Start nice and early both days, giving yourself max time to enjoy each day.

Other Lakes based challenges are:

Lakes 3000's: https://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/lakes-district-challenge.html

Lakes 8 Peaks: https://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/8peakschallenge.html

These are taken off our website, I'm not trying to sell you a trip (unless that's what you want), just shed some light on the options here in the Lakes.

If you want any more specific info about these challenges, I'm happy to help, e-mail via this site.

Mark

DaveHK 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

> Welsh 3000s is a good challenge. All the 3000 foot peaks in Snowdonia in 24 hours

This is a good call. Definitely very achievable for a fit hillwalker but enough of a challenge to make you feel you've done something tough.

Yorkshire 6 peaks for training...

DaveHK 27 Jun 2020

And if you'd be willing to travel to Scotland there are loads of great challenges. Glencoe skyline, round of loch Mullardoch, N and S ridges of Glen Shiel, Tranter's Round, Cairngorms 4000, Torridon round...

http://longdistancechallenges.blogspot.com/?m=1

Post edited at 21:05
 profitofdoom 28 Jun 2020

> Or any alternative suggestions. I’ve already done the Yorkshire 3 Peaks a few years ago so not that one. > Any advice/ suggestions would be great. Thanks  

For something different you could try the 13 highest hills in Norfolk, that would include Ferrets' Hill at 43 meters, also Beeston Bump

The New NickB 28 Jun 2020

Old County Tops would be a good one.

OP Charliemitch 29 Jun 2020

Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions! Not sure which I’m going to pick yet 

BuzyG 30 Jun 2020

The Lochaber 4000s are a good achievable one day challenge for most fit hill walkers.  Taking in the 4 highest peaks around the Ben Nevis Range.   At the other end of the country there are the Dartmoor 600s.  Good luck whatever you choose and keep us posted.

Post edited at 08:37
 duchessofmalfi 30 Jun 2020

For a challenge sit is a bath of baked beans for 24 hours.

Spend time on the hills for pleasure, enjoy going to the most beautiful places, taking in the view, being battered by the weather, seeing to a far horizon, the pale blue of the sky or just breathing in the solitude .

Challenges that involve ruining the outdoors get on my tits.

DaveHK 30 Jun 2020
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> For a challenge sit is a bath of baked beans for 24 hours.

> Spend time on the hills for pleasure, enjoy going to the most beautiful places, taking in the view, being battered by the weather, seeing to a far horizon, the pale blue of the sky or just breathing in the solitude .

> Challenges that involve ruining the outdoors get on my tits.

You do your thing and let others do theirs. Given that the OP has already abandoned the idea of the National 3 peaks it looks like they're pretty clued up on environmentally damaging 'challenges'. The things being suggested are all just big days out that will bring plenty of the the joy you describe whilst presenting a physical challenge to anyone that takes them on, the two things are not mutually exclusive.

DaveHK 30 Jun 2020
In reply to BuzyG:

> The Lochaber 4000s are a good achievable one day challenge for most fit hill walkers.  Taking in the 4 highest peaks around the Ben Nevis Range.   

That's a great day out but I'd have thought it would have been more of a regular day for a fit hillwalker rather than something special to aim for as a target. The Lochaber traverse or variations thereof might fit better.

WaterMonkey 30 Jun 2020

I'd second, or third, the Welsh 3000 suggestion.

Bivvy at the top of Snowdon to add a bit more adventure and start early. We finished it and then went back and bivvied in the emergency shelter on Foel grach. 

GrahamD 30 Jun 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

As well as being a "challenge" (euch!), the Welsh 3000s is a genuinely great walk (in either direction).  The only slight drawback for some being it isn't circular.

Andy Hardy 30 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> As well as being a "challenge" (euch!), the Welsh 3000s is a genuinely great walk (in either direction).  The only slight drawback for some being it isn't circular.

To be fair, neither is the 3 peaks!

duchessofmalfi 30 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Three peak baggers make the places around YTP and the NTP a right pain for everyone else and they show no sign of enjoying the experience instead being made up of dickhead yoiks hell bent on corporate bonding. You only have to spend a night in Horton or Wasdale during "challenge" season to take a great dislike to challenges.

mysterion 30 Jun 2020

> Three peak baggers make the places around YTP and the NTP a right pain for everyone else and they show no sign of enjoying the experience instead being made up of dickhead yoiks hell bent on corporate bonding. You only have to spend a night in Horton or Wasdale during "challenge" season to take a great dislike to challenges.

Powerpoint presentations projected onto a gable end?

WaterMonkey 30 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> To be fair, neither is the 3 peaks!

To be fair the 3 peaks isn't a walking challenge

BuzyG 30 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> That's a great day out but I'd have thought it would have been more of a regular day for a fit hillwalker rather than something special to aim for as a target. The Lochaber traverse or variations thereof might fit better.

One mans walk is another's challenge.  Time of year weather and route play such a part in such things too.   Be sure that at 58 years young, though hill fit, it's a challenge to this hombre.  Similar with the Dartmoor 600s.  You can make it a 16 mile jog or a 30 mile challenge depending where you start and the route you choose.  

gravy 30 Jun 2020
In reply to mysterion:

No, just loads of noisy dickheads up all hours braying and bragging. 

DaveHK 30 Jun 2020

> Three peak baggers make the places around YTP and the NTP a right pain for everyone else and they show no sign of enjoying the experience instead being made up of dickhead yoiks hell bent on corporate bonding. You only have to spend a night in Horton or Wasdale during "challenge" season to take a great dislike to challenges.

Perhaps, but it seemed pretty clear to me the OP wasn't talking about that kind of thing but rather something that would present a personal challenge.

Lankyman 30 Jun 2020

Why not just open your map(s) and pick any reasonably situated 3 hills? After all, that's what a couple of teachers from Giggleswick School did. Does it have to be 3? Does it have to be hills even? Years ago I was going to do a 3 Peaks of my own over Warton Crag, Arnside Knot and some other bump nearby but then realised I had better things to do.

petemeads 30 Jun 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Two of my 3000s crossings were circular, starting from Pen y Gwryd, one clockwise and one anticlockwise. Apparently Tony Moulam said that was the only proper way to attempt the challenge...

I was more knackered at the end of the anticlockwise one than ever before or since, including the BG.

GrahamD 30 Jun 2020
In reply to petemeads:

Hats off to you for that effort ! For most it's not circular and there is some logistics faff needed. Not so easy solo and unsupported.

DaveHK 30 Jun 2020
In reply to petemeads:

> Two of my 3000s crossings were circular, starting from Pen y Gwryd, one clockwise and one anticlockwise.

We ended up in the back of a police car after our first attempt!

Aaron Lines 07 Jul 2020

I did the 3 peaks twice working as a mountain leader a few years ago. Was not enjoyable and the travelling made me feel sick! Definately do something else. The welsh 3000rs are good. probably already been suggested!

I see it has been suggested. You could do it in a weekend and camp (when you are allowed to), thats a good one. probably also already been suggested!

Post edited at 22:12
 Andy Clarke 08 Jul 2020
In reply to petemeads:

> Two of my 3000s crossings were circular, starting from Pen y Gwryd, one clockwise and one anticlockwise.

On one of mine when we got to the end we promptly turned around and retraced our steps all the way back. The return leg took almost twice as long. I was definitely having a bit of a slump in Ogwen, until I washed down my pork pie with two large cans of Red Bull! 

How about the welsh 3000s ?

bouldery bits 16 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Eddy:

The 8 peaks looks like a great run actually. I'll have to bimble round that over the Summer. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...