UKC

Beginner solo peaks in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daniel83 07 Jun 2020

Hi everyone, first poster here,

I'd like to get some suggestions if there's any 3-4000 peaks I can attempt solo in the Alps, probably around early August.

Previous experience(all guided) - Kilimanjaro, Grossvenediger, Gran Paradiso, MB.

Thanks,

Dan

1philjones1 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

Aiguille de la Berangere from the Conscrits hut, above Les Contamines?

Post edited at 13:46
 SouthernSteve 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

At the risk of being a boring old fart, I would really try to go with someone so that you can tackle some glaciers safely and build up a repertoire of climbs in one area. 

Doug 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

depending on where you are, there are peaks > 3000m which are just a walk, eg https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/45892/fr/vieux-chaillol-versant-s-par-le-...

mbh 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

Get the books by Pause and/or his son (I think). Zurcher Hausberge has a few in the 3000s that are just a (long) walk, for example Gross Ruchen which I once did alone. 

But there are many in the 2000s that are a terrific day out for the inexperienced loner, and more than just a walk. For example, from my very limited experience, Boes Fuelen, Shachentaler Windgallen and Murtschenstock, all in the Klausen Pass/Glarus region of Switzerland.

Daniel83 07 Jun 2020
In reply to 1philjones1:

Thanks, I'll look at that! 

Daniel83 07 Jun 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thanks Steve, I'm with you in this regard. Absolutely safety first, I'm normally quiet adventurous, but I know my limits at the mo(novice). The last thing I want is to find myself up in the mountain in storm/fog or fall into crevasses...If I can't find something, I'll rather pass it. Unfortunately nothing certain at the mo, so can't start planning just yet(just trying to get some info)and have no friends who would be up to this. 

Daniel83 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Doug:

Thanks Doug, I'll look at that. If everything goes as should, I'd be on a motorbike from Ireland to Hungary so I'd be very flexible where to go.

Daniel83 07 Jun 2020
In reply to mbh:

Thanks, mbh! I looked at Gross Ruchen, that something would fit the bill! All I want is to have a bit snow to practice crampons and a fairly easy access/no glacier walk. I wouldn't mind to have longer days out. Also I wouldn't mind to do more than 1 peak if they're close enough to each other.

Post edited at 17:25
 Doug 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

wasn't a particular recomendation, just an example of the many walkable peaks (& its one I can almost see from home). But camptocamp has useful search functions to help possible routes

mysterion 07 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

Oberrothorn near Zermatt is a walk up to a decent peak at 3414m

Alex_Handhold 08 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

Have you considered the pyrenees? There are loads of suitable mountains to solo out there and the risk of falling in a crevasse is nil. You can fly into toulouse or Barcelona and drive in about 4 hours. An excellent playground if you ask me 

Daniel83 09 Jun 2020
In reply to mysterion:

Thanks mysterion, it looks promising! I guess I probably don't need crampons in August there?

Daniel83 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Alex_Handhold:

Hi Alex, thanks for the suggestion, but I think that would be bit too far from the route I was planning. This time I'd rather plan something in the Alps.

Ryan_ID 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

Hi Dan,

Agreed with everyone above, some great ideas and information.

On from the recommendation by mysterion, I am 'hoping' to travel to zermatt early August and originally planned to take on the Jegihorn and Lagginhorn (as well as a few other bits). Might be worth a look. The Jegihorn is a Via Ferrata and looks great!

Good luck and be safe.

JayW 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

The Breithorn on the Swiss/Italian border could be worth looking at. You can take a cable car most of the way before crossing the glacier to get to the summit. I did it last year with my other half with limited alpine experience and it wasn't outrageous. A good one to cut your teeth on. 

mysterion 09 Jun 2020
In reply to Daniel83:

Crampons probably not required on the route as south facing. Maybe descend and stay at Fluhalp overnight then walk up Pfulwe (3314m) and descend into the Tasch valley. Crampons likely required as you drop into the Tasch valley as that is north facing, and later some cables to hold onto on the way down. It's a vast moonscape up there.

Post edited at 18:29
 HCB514 09 Jun 2020

Nicve suggestions, now i have made a list to go through!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...