UKC

CMD Arete (Ben Nevis) with a backpack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Belthazubel 26 May 2023

Wasn't sure where to place this question but hopefully someone can answer.

We're planning on heading up to Scotland this weekend to do the CMD Arete route. The plan initially was to camp on top of Carn Beag Dearg, maybe finding shelter from the westerly wind in the valley to the east. Then continue along the route (0 wind on Sunday).

Now we are considering alternatives because I read somewhere that this route is not fantastic if you have a heavy backpack full of camping gear on your shoulders. I don't want to risk needlessly.

Question: has anyone done this route with a heavy (16kg) backpack and how was it? Is it really a bad idea?

In similar vein, if it's not idea and it's better to camp closer to the carpark, can you DM me a good location? We're considering the river (Allt na Caillich) 5 minutes from the car park because I can see an area of flat ground there. However, last time we tried to find a good spot in a forest we struggled because of spiky undergrowth. Is the ground in this area clear or overgrown?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

TobyA 26 May 2023
In reply to Belthazubel:

I've been down the CMD Arete a few times with a bag full of winter climbing kit or summer climbing kit. So not 16 kgs but with a rope and half a rack and all the other junk plus harness still on, crampons on big boots etc. I imagine its getting towards that weight. Don't remember it being a big problem.

But anyway, can't you just pack a bit lighter? If it's two people sharing one tent surely you can get packs much lighter than that?

CameronDuff14 26 May 2023
In reply to Belthazubel:

It's effectively an exposed ridge walk, with fairly minimal technical scrambling. A 16kg pack it not ridiculously heavy, so I reckon as long as you are confident and steady on your feet walking with it you shouldn't have any issues.

Walking pole(s) might be useful too for stability, but you might have to stash them on your bag for the scramble bits 

Dr.S at work 26 May 2023
In reply to Belthazubel:

Re camping spots, NN187722 has some fairly flat ground, and the ridge up the the CMD arête from there is pleasant 

AdrianWalter 26 May 2023
In reply to Belthazubel:

I have done it with a backpacking load. I would say it’s not excessively risky just take your time and make sure your load is secure so nothing suddenly falls out or shifts.

Edshakey 26 May 2023
In reply to Belthazubel:

A couple years back, I did the arête on the last day of a 4 day walk, so had a big rucksack. No idea the total pack weight, but the tent was on the cheap (and therefore heavy) side, and I don't own much generally in the way of fancy light gear. So i'd like to imagine it was at least as heavy as what you'd need for just the one night!

I don't remember any issues with the bag during the ridge itself. I would say that it was technically far below what I'm comfortable on (given a background in climbing) and everyone's experience may vary, but given it's a horizontal route and not a vertical one, you are standing up a lot of the time. Just have to be as careful with balance as you would with any size bag, but most of it is extremely secure for hands and feet - just some occasional exposure.

It does help too that there is a path just off the ridge, to the east, which follows it in parallel most, if not all, of the way. So should the ridge be proving difficult, you could always drop down to that.

Only been on it once, so not got a perfect memory, but sounds like your plan is pretty sensible. And given you're asking on here, you're probably sensible enough to know when you're not happy, and bail accordingly!

Hope you enjoy

The New NickB 26 May 2023
In reply to Belthazubel:

Nothing technical on the CMD, just exposed ground. The ascent won’t be much fun carrying that kind of weight though. Do you really need that much stuff?

OP Belthazubel 27 May 2023

Thank you all for your kind advice! The area at NN187722 really did look very interesting on the map and we’ve been considering it. After some deliberation we decided to camp by Allt na Cailich and enjoy the Arete with just a daysack. You’re right, no point in carrying all this stuff up just for the sake of it 🙂 Plus I’m with another person who isn’t super experienced so no need to risk it.

Post edited at 07:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...