UKC

Events for everyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomgreen2410 19 Aug 2022

Hi, I’ve only just started climbing and I love it but I’m very motivated by goals and having something to aim for. I Boulder indoors at the moment (which I fully understand is different to outdoors!) but I was wondering if their were any events in either the UK or anywhere else to be honest which would be the climbing equivalent of the London marathon. I guess by that I mean that anyone of any ability can do it and it’s something that you do for personal achievement rather than professional? I hope that makes sense! Or any other examples of long term goals other than just ‘reaching a certain grade’ ones. Thank you

GrahamD 20 Aug 2022
In reply to tomgreen2410:

Many walls do 'ladder' competitions. 

BuzyG 20 Aug 2022

A marathon race from indoor bouldering. That's a new one on me. Personally, in the UK, I would have to look out doors to multi pitch sea cliffs and mountains to find an equivalent challenge, there must be thousands out there. Something like Wreckers slab, on the North Devon Coast.  Pretty much every one can become skilled enough and fit enough for such a challenge. But it is a challenge and as such provides a goal and the satisfaction and tick in the brain box from completion.

Post edited at 14:28
 JLS 20 Aug 2022

I think anyone can enter the CWIF in Sheffield Climbing Works…

From earlier this year… https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/press/cwif_19-20th_march_2022_-_registratio...

I think the problems START at 6a so how enjoyable that will be for a beginner might depend on how well training goes this winter.

There are many classic outdoor problems to aspire to at all grades e.g.

La Marie Rose (Red 22) (f6A)

Crescent Arête (f5+)

Completion of one of the may Fontainebleau bouldering circuits could be another goal achieved by anyone. 

Post edited at 16:02
 bouldery bits 20 Aug 2022
In reply to JLS:

JLS is top tier. 

Totally agree with the ideas here. 

wbo2 20 Aug 2022
In reply to tomgreen2410: It's an interesting question... so my immediate is no, but yes.  There isn't a direct equivalent competition or event. 

However what made London special was that it was setup as the first marathon race to enourage mass participation rather than being an elitist limited entry race.  And there is , in the UK,  a large collection of varied challenges for a climber though they are at this point almost all outdoors i.e. classic routes, classic circuits, the Cuillin and so on.  And these are also open to anyone with the skills, fitness to try.

Trangia 20 Aug 2022

Outdoors: Complete the traverse of the Cuillin Ridge in summer, in one push.

Should be achievable by your average Hill Walker/Climber, but more than a walk in the Park.

Post edited at 17:58
 Mark Kemball 20 Aug 2022
In reply to BuzyG:

> Something like Wreckers slab, on the North Devon Coast.  Pretty much every one can become skilled enough and fit enough for such a challenge. 

Very important point number 1: Wreckers' Slab (VS 4b) is in Cornwall, not Devon. Round here you could get into serious trouble for that mistake, almost as bad as putting the cream on before the jam.

More importantly, it’s not really a suitable objective for an inexperienced climber unless you can find an experienced leader to take you up it. To lead this, you need to be happy on a multipitch route with loose rock and limited protection. That said, it’s technically very easy for VS, and a great adventure. 

If you’re looking to get into multipitch trad, the East Face of Tryfan would be great.

BuzyG 20 Aug 2022
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Hi Mark. I recall meeting you on Wreckers. I live in Cornwall and I do indeed put the cream on first. Not a big one for such local idiosyncrasies myself, but I get your point and my bad for saying Devon.  Probably explains the down arrows on my post. LoL.  Technically I would grade Wreckers slab about HVD.  It's the length, exposure, loose rock and lack of regular good protection that create the Challenge. Your quite correct though, it requires an experienced lead climber, for those reasons.  As a day out it's a wonderful climb.

Post edited at 19:44
OP tomgreen2410 20 Aug 2022
In reply to BuzyG:

Thank you! It wasn’t necessary about the marathon idea just an example, I meant more about amateurs and pros doing the same thing at one time like they do with the marthons

In reply to wbo2:

Thank you very much! I wonder if they’ll ever do anything with indoor..! 

In reply to JLS:

Thank you, I’ll look that one up again in a year or so haha!

Mark Kemball 20 Aug 2022

> Thank you! It wasn’t necessary about the marathon idea just an example, I meant more about amateurs and pros doing the same thing at one time like they do with the marthons

In a sense, I think that the “amateur” and the “professional “ (not that I really think those terms are really appropriate in climbing) can have the same experience. By this I mean that the Severe climber pushing on a VS is really having much the same experience as an E7 climber trying E8.  Whatever standard you’re climbing at, going for the next harder grade feels much the same challenge. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...