UKC

newbie recommendations for Alpine climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mortirolo 23 Sep 2018

Hi all, I completed an Ironman endurance event this year and have also completed numerous road cycling sportives around Europe usually in the mountains over the years and I want a new challenge and enjoyment of an outdoor activity probably cause I'm approaching 50....lol......

Next week I will get a one to one indoor climbing session which I suppose is a start. I plan to purchase a mountaineering book as well but ultimately I want to climb the Dolomites or the Alps. So many times I have been up approaching 3,000m on a bike but never been off the tarmac!!! though of recent I did some trail running in France at about up to 2,000m high. I am fit  but my arms and shoulders won't be that strong for climbing, though I did train weights whilst training for my Ironman. 

Where can I start? Can you get straight into Crampons and climb mountains with a beginners group or do I need to improve my rock climbing skills starting out. Looking for a guide on how to progress/learn.

webbo 23 Sep 2018
In reply to mortirolo:

why not just pick your mountain, then hire a guide to get you to the top and back. It might save you a year or so of training to find out it’s not for you.

Luke90 23 Sep 2018
In reply to mortirolo:

The approach to take is going to depend on what you really want from the experience. Are you looking to take on climbing as a long term pursuit or are you just looking to tick a box and move on to whatever takes your fancy next? Do you value adventure and independence, thus needing to acquire the skills and experience to be self-reliant, or are you happy to pay a guide to turn it into a purely physical challenge?

John Kelly 23 Sep 2018
In reply to mortirolo:

Dolomites, via ferrata might be right up your street

Something like 

Giovanni Lipella Via Ferrata (VF4C)

Not too technical but big day out on a high mountain - need bit navigation and pick a decent day - don't really need a partner or masses of experience, just buy a via ferrata kit and crack on

In reply to mortirolo:

As others have said, it depends. What do you mean, ‘climb the Dolomites or the alps’?

if you mean, ascend some of the easier high peaks by their standard routes, then lack of arm strength won’t be an issue. Most will involve long periods of walking or easy scrambling, where your fitness will stand you in good stead. 

The biggest challenge will be the mountain skills to safely operate in that environment- glacier travel, avalanche awareness, reading the weather, route finding. And dealing with the exposure; in my very limited alpine experience, I found the need to maintain a high level of concentration due to crossing terrain where a slip would likely be very serious, for hours at a time, very hard work mentally, and very different from anything I’d come across in the U.K., or Pyrenees. 

I’d agree with others who suggested hiring a guide; or, sign up for an alpine skills course. That will get you into the mountains, without having to build up the mountaineering skills first, and you can decide if it’s something you then want to invest the time and money to get competent at. 

Derry 23 Sep 2018
In reply to mortirolo:

Bin the 1 to 1 indoor stuff. I doubt the CWI has ever been in a crampon. Hire a guide, hire the gear, get yourself on some easy routes, get a sense of the exposure and go from there. 

mortirolo 24 Sep 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I think "the challenge" will not be so much physical ability as probably I will be more fit than most Aplinists by some consideration I would imagine but awareness as you mention is of high importance. So skills and courses such on avalanche awareness is things I'm after even though I did mention more about physical ability in my question.

In regards to a tick off the box another has mentioned, no, I love outdoors and I'm after experience that will I'm sure stick with me for more climbing adventures in the future. I travelled around South America for 6 months many years ago and really enjoyed that, though I did get altitude sickness in La Paz which was one of worst experiences ever where I couldn't move for 3 days! And had to drink coca tea to dilute the blood as locals put it.

mortirolo 24 Sep 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

A friend mentioned via ferrata even though he isn't a climber. He said everyone starts here and it's a perfect bench to improve and experience 1st hand. thanks.

webbo 24 Sep 2018
In reply to mortirolo:

Being fit enough to do an Ironman does not really have much relevance to technical climbing. Having climbed then stopped and spent several years cycle racing and competing in triathlons. It took me over two years to get back to my previous standard in climbing once I’d sacked off the triathlons and I was a bit younger than 50 at the time.

Mark Haward 24 Sep 2018
In reply to mortirolo:

The book Alpine Mountaineering by Bruce Goodlad is a great place to start. Then consider an alpine climbing course with a group such as Jagged Globe, Icicle or ISM.

Do you have access / time to join any local clubs - they may be able to offer to help.

mortirolo 24 Sep 2018
In reply to Mark Haward:

I was looking at this book on Amazon the other day and another book which seemed to have great reviews even though published more to the American Alpine community "Mountaineering Books Mountaineering: Freedom of The Hills, 9th Edition"

No I haven't looked for clubs yet I guess this is a good place to start. cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...