UKC

Good value single rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Davids 28 Sep 2004
I'm looking to buy a dry treated 50m single rope, has anyone seen any good deals out there recently?

At the moment it's a toss up between the F&T 10.5mm Kernmantle (£90 incl P&P) and the Mammut Flash (£100) on offer at Needlesports.
Has anyone seen any better value ropes out there? Has anyone used either of these ropes? Are they any good?

Cheers

Chris
 Max factor 28 Sep 2004
In reply to Chris Davids:

I looked a few days back and mammut galaxy seemed good value. £95 for 60m on R+R (or £80 for 50m).

I don't see the point of a dry treated rope as when it rains I go and sit in the pub sink a few.
 GrahamD 28 Sep 2004

I bought an Edelrid dry trated 10mm x 60m over the counter for £99 at Outside the other month - seems like a nice rope.
 Max factor 28 Sep 2004
In reply to GrahamD:

In fact, Needlesports.

Beal Edlinger 50m £70.
60m £85.

Bit cheaper still.
 jas wood 28 Sep 2004
outside DID a live wire 9.8mm dry 50 m for around 75 quids i got one and its supa-dupa
Paul T 28 Sep 2004

Try a Roca rope.
Spainish ropes which are good value and always perform well in tests.

Available form the outdoor shop www.theoutdoorshop.com

I was convinved and bought a non-treated one recently for £70.I had always bought Mammut before, which are good but not cheap.
 cubanallstar 28 Sep 2004

You've not specified exactly what it is you want it for...

I've a Mammut 60m for sport which i really like, and don't think it cost me very much. It's however not dry treated. If you don't specifically require a rope that's dry treated i'd certainly recommend that one.
 vscott 28 Sep 2004
In reply to Chris Davids: http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=2&t=14&p=949&sid=70e18f...
and a rope bag as well... bargain!!!
Anonymous 28 Sep 2004

I got a Mammut Flash (very nice it is too) last year from Joe Browns, was £45 for a 47m rope, they seemed to have a few that had been cut too short to sell as 50m or 60m so they were cheap.

Strangely though an undercut 60m (end length about 55m) was cheaper than a 50m rope of the same make and model :-s

Might be worth a check
noxious 28 Sep 2004
http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&am...
Mammut Galaxy 10x60m Dry
Special Offer on Orange colour only
Single Rope, Dry Treated,UIAA Falls: 8-9,Impact Force:8.8 kN,Elongation:6.5%,Sheath Slippage:0mm,Weight per metre:65g
Down from £135 to £90 & free P&P
 Fidget 28 Sep 2004

Just found this: http://freespace.virgin.net/steve.round/clropes.htm Has as Marlow single dry rope for £85, and a Lanex one for £81.

Anyone got or used a Marlow or Lanex rope? Lanex website is: http://www.mylanex.com/en/sortiment/horolezecka/jednoducha/viper.php

Cheers
Anonymous 28 Sep 2004
In reply to noxious: Good find. I have just order one now. Thanks as i was going to pay 115 from needle sport.
 Mark Stevenson 28 Sep 2004
In reply to Sarah_Clough:Lanex ropes are good kit. High spec and generally handle well. No complaints about my 10.5mm single.
 Fidget 28 Sep 2004
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Cheers. On that website, the Lanex dry treated ropes are cheaper than on other sites, but not the standard ones. I've emailed the guy to ask about postage though.
 Mark Stevenson 28 Sep 2004
In reply to Chris Davids:Interesting post. Out of about all the lengths/diameters/specs of ropes on sale my current opinion is that a dry treated 50m single is one the least useful/appropriate purchases.

A 60m+ single makes sense for sport.
A 25-35m single for walls and grit is a brilliant move.
50m dry doubles are still the best for UK trad, winter and alpine (60m pos in Alps but belay/ab stations are mostly still at 50m intervals anyway).

Can't think what I'd want a 50m single for.

Just some thoughts...
OP Chris Davids 29 Sep 2004
Thanks for all your help, the 60m Mammut Galaxy from the outdoor shop looks a bargain. Good company too.

I really like the handling of Mammut ropes and they seem to wear pretty well so this is probably the one to go for.

The rope isn't actually for me but for my housemate, I own a pair of Mammut Genesis ropes which are fantastic. We allways seem to end up climbing in the rain and on the occassions it isn't raining the rope seems to end up in the nearest puddle so dry treated is pretty essential. It is going to be used for single pitch cragging in the uk and maybe a little sport as well.

Once again, cheers for all your help.

Chris

P.S Thanks for the offer paul but I'd prefer brand new from a shop, good luck with selling it.
 Fidget 29 Sep 2004

Apparently Lanex ropes are only CE certified because they're European, do you know what this means?
 Mark Stevenson 29 Sep 2004
In reply to Sarah_Clough: As a guess: There are two standards for ropes, a CEN standard (European Union) and then the UIAA international standard. There is little point gettting the UIAA approval if you already have CE approval.

They are both identical for all the drop tests, impact forces etc., but I beleive there is a different standard for sheath slippage. Someone else may know the exact details of the difference.

However, all ropes easily surpass all the current (both) standards - the only exception might be the recently introduced sharp edge test (quoted by some manufacturers)which only a few ropes pass but that is not statuatry requirement and is more a manufacturer driven sales point than a properly defined test/standard.

Any rope the is legally on sale is 'fit for porpose'. The details are just cost/weight/durability/handling/impact force etc.

HTH
 Fidget 29 Sep 2004

Thanks for the input. I was just going to get a standard rope, but now I've seen the price of those dry treated ones, I might go for one of those instead. I'll mostly be using it indoors, but there's no harm in getting a better one than I need!
 Max factor 29 Sep 2004
In reply to Sarah_Clough:

Lanex ropes are reviewed in the latest OTE. From memory (and I only read this yesterday!) they got an excellent write up in terms of handling, durability and cost.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...