UKC

How wd u txt yr accdnt?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Well... what form of words should one use to send a text message on your battery-dying mobile to tell people you've scratched your ankle so badly the bone is poking out?

You can read the news item which got me thinking this in our revised layout news page on UKClimbing.
Michaelw 22 May 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor:
SOS MRT REQD GRID XX 999999 FALL BRKN ANKL
Chris T'up North 22 May 2001

Well in order of key presses (battery life being key)

help 8 presses
hlp me 10 presses
SOS 11 presses (plus internationally recognisable)
call 999 14 presses
SOS brkn leg 28 presses
SOS brkn arm 30 presses

all in all if your battery is going...try to land on your arm and not your leg

......gawd....can't believe I sat and worked that out !!
....someone get me a life please
Matty K 22 May 2001
In reply to Chris T'up North: Yes but my phone recognises words - dictionary built in etc so help would be only 4... Can't believe i'm so bored to argue that point!
Al Evans 22 May 2001
In reply to Matty K: Yeh, mine too,a phone with a dictionary has changed my life.
Chris T\'up North 22 May 2001
In reply to Matty K:

Well my phone's bigger than your phone I guarantee it

Any signs of that life heading this way ?
Michaelw 22 May 2001
Don't forget that once the battery is dead you can't use the phone to give location, so that gets a high priority. I don't have one so it's academic!
BrianT 22 May 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor: I HATE txt spk, so I always send texts in full, punctuated sentences. Ditto emails.
Chris T'up North 22 May 2001
In reply to Michaelw:

Can't the emergency services locate you by the phone signal alone ? Anyone know ?
Michaelw 22 May 2001
In reply to Chris T'up North:
i think they would know which "cell" you made the call from, but that could be some distance away in mountain terrain. PS, keeping the phone close to body warmth can extend battery life
tommy twotone 22 May 2001

(see first lead falls thread)-if mine had gone worse:

hlp-fl off lts@brbij ripped rk 1 deckd out. broke ankl, knockd blayr out.snd hlp qck.
In reply to tommy twotone:

Yeah! Brbij... Stnij...come on, gotta be some crags out there with "at" in them. Search the crags page... This could go far!
jct 22 May 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor: "ansa mob twat im ova hre bhnd tht bldr nrly ded"
Matty K 22 May 2001
In reply to jct: shouldn't that be tw@
In reply to Charles Arthur:

how about frog@?
and we were discussing g8 slab last fri...

sorry that should have been gr8 slab...

ps i had a look at long johns, couldn't reach the crimps off the ledge so climbed back down again. Did solo sunset slab and two sided triangle though (sorry jct about grades, gnarl etc...)
In reply to tommy twotone:

Gr8 slab. Love it.

Nice one on TPS and 2ST. (This is infectious.) And all those climbs will still be there for ages... honest...

Charles

Its was SSS not TPS, although I did contemplate it while I was on a roll...

didn't realise quite how bad the landing was for 2ST till i'd done it-it's well nasty! I did decide to commit to the crux and top while my spotter was looking the other way with his hands in his pockets...no change from normal there then!
Baz 22 May 2001

The battery problem wont exist in a couple of months as someone has invented a clockwork phone. Same principle as Trevor Bayliss's clockwork radio and computer. One wind lasts for six minutes.

No self respecting accident prone wilderness man will be without one.

Perhaps they'll make a mountaineering one that winds up using one of those grip strengtheners.
 sutty 23 May 2001
In reply to Baz: Hey what a good idea, exercise your fingers while waiting to be rescued.Keep the circulation up while bleeding to death, oooh.
tommy twtone 23 May 2001

just realised.....

what about Cr@clif?

hohohohohohohohohohohoho

i am very sad. i admit it.
willyb 23 May 2001
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC editor: As an addict my message would read something like - Argggggggghhhhhh!!!! Help! - call me back on 07767 3** 5&*
Michaelw 23 May 2001
In reply to sutty:
Morse code would help there! Wouldn't compromise the wilderness experience so much as you'd have to put up an aerial yourself too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...