UKC

is a Nikon D50 as good as a D70?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 17 Oct 2006
Ok the two cameras are different and the D70 has a shed load more features but don't they have the same image sensor?

My question is would both cameras give the same quality of images if the subject matter and lenses were exactly the same?
 Simon 17 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm looking at the D80 model - I guess it depends how much you want to splash out on I guess?

D50 - I've played about with and its nice - good solid shot quality - just fancy 10.2 mega pixels for work reasons.

..not a position to give any techie advice fraid?!

Cheers

Si
 Dr Avid 17 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming: D50....no mirror lockup, no flash sync cord socket, no rule of thirds lines in the viewfinder.....thats the only features id want a d70 for....

worth another £200?

Not in my opinion
d_light 17 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
> Ok the two cameras are different and the D70 has a shed load more features but don't they have the same image sensor?
>
> My question is would both cameras give the same quality of images if the subject matter and lenses were exactly the same?

The answer to this particular question is YES. If image quality is the only decisive factor in chosing between THESE two cameras, go for the D50 - it is actually better at higher ISOs i.e has less noise than the D70 meaning in poor light you can crank up the ISO higher and still use the shutter speed fast enough to stop motion, and get smoother picture than with a D70. BUT the difference is small, the D70 still has excelent image quality and sharper out of the camera (hence the higher noise - to be clear the D70 is NOT a noisy cam but the D50 is better in this aspect)The D70 has more features and better handling and may feel differently in your hands (it's bigger and may provide more secure hold depending on your hand size)- best is to pop down to a shop and handle both. Then again the D80 has even more features and higher resolution but cost more. if you have no Nikon lenses and can wait a little the new Pentax K10 should come out soon with metal body, weather sealing , vibration reduction and anti-dust feature, and should cost less than the D80
d_light 17 Oct 2006
In reply to Dr Avid:
D50....no mirror lockup, no flash sync cord socket, no rule of thirds lines in the viewfinder.....thats the only features id want a d70 for....
>
> worth another £200?
>
> Not in my opinion

no mirror lockup, no flash sync cord socket on the D70 either - that's the D200

Richard Carter 18 Oct 2006
d50 everytime, the only feature the d70 has thats of any consequence is the DOF preview. get the d50 then spend the change on a lens.
 tommyb 18 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
D70 also has a built-in controller for off-camera flash, which the d50 lacks if that is of any interest to you.
 Bob 18 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

Have a gander at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

Since the D50 is more recent than the D70 it should benefit from newer technology with the proviso that it sits at a lower price point. I think it would be better to compare the D50 with the D80. All three cameras are very good, but any choice would be down to which features you need or can do without - no point in worrying about off-camera flash sync if you never intend to use it.

boB
 Dr Avid 18 Oct 2006
In reply to d_light: ah yes indeed......and the FOV preview would be nice too yes

Still dont think Id get a D70 tho....nice camera but too many newer choices now for me....
Kinley 19 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

Having used both D70 and D70s, I've not been that impressed with the pictures: they seem 'processed'. Found the EOS 400D very good, but I think I'll hold my money for another year.
johnsdowens 19 Oct 2006
In reply to Richard Carter:
> the only feature the d70 has thats of any consequence is the DOF preview.

see that would do it for me, a fairly important function my photography. I'd miss moving from a system with preview on the lenses themselves to one without it at all.

O Mighty Tim 19 Oct 2006
In reply to johnsdowens: DOF is a built in function on Olympus E system...

;^)

TTG (Not getting into a pure Nikon debate, though...)
OP The Lemming 19 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

The reason I started this discussion was not weather I should choose a D50 or a D70 because I have all ready made my choice. However I have asked this question after comments on the use of generic lenses with my D50.

A few comments hinted that because I had chosen to buy a budget camera then no matter what lens I shoved in front of it would make little diference to the quality of the photos taken. But if I had a D70 then I would get better quality photos from it.

Yes, the D70 has a DOF function and yes it has a lot more whistles and bells compared to my D50. I'm just asking if the D50 will take just as good images as the D70 seeing as they have the same image sensor in them. If that is the case then I will happily spend a load of dosh on a good lens.

As for suggestions on other cameras I can not comment becuse I do not own any of them. Sadly my finances only allow me to buy one toy at a time. And my girlfriend would more than likely have my balls on a platter if I bought another camera so soon
 Bob 19 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

I haven't seen any adverse comments on third party (which what I assume you mean by "generic") lenses on the D50. The only such comments have been about the D200. Check out http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ for the lens you are interested in.

boB
johnsdowens 19 Oct 2006
In reply to O Mighty Tim:
> (In reply to johnsdowens) DOF is a built in function on Olympus E system...
>
> ;^)
>
> TTG (Not getting into a pure Nikon debate, though...)

I'm still an OM user. can't afford a digi SLR yet (but I know where my irrational loyalties lie...)
O Mighty Tim 19 Oct 2006
In reply to The Lemming: Do you like the pictures you ARE getting? If yes, stop worrying, buy the glass you want.

Simple philosophy, but it's served me fine, thank you.

Bear in mind that with digital lots of folk treat the BODY as disposable, as there'll be an upgrade in 18 months/2 years ANYWAY, whatever you bought last week!

TTG
O Mighty Tim 19 Oct 2006
In reply to johnsdowens: £200-£250 for an E-1 body, £12 for the adaptor to take OM glass.
That's cheaper than an OM3 or 4Ti, ffs...

8^)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...