UKC

NEWS: A Bouldering First For James Pearson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 22 Feb 2007
James Pearson (age 21) of Matlock, Derbyshire has established what is no doubt a bouldering world first at Ticino, Switzerland, an area that Ben Moon describes as "the best granite bouldering in Europe"

Full report.... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 cornishben 22 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: jsut a small correction - dreamtime is at creciano, not ticino isn't it?
 lummox 22 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: ermm.. someone covered this in a thread yesterday.
OP Michael Ryan 22 Feb 2007
In reply to cornishben:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) jsut a small correction - dreamtime is at creciano, not ticino isn't it?

You are right Ben.

This from https://www.moonclimbing.com/index.php?form_action=moonblog

" Have just got back from a 2 week trip to Ticino in Switzerland. This area as far as I know is host to the best granite bouldering in Europe. If you think different then we would love to hear. I guess it first hit the headlines when Fred Nicole climbed Dreamtime which I think was the first font 8b+ in the world. This is located at Cresciano. It's funny because when people say they are going climbing in Ticino they usually say Cresciano when in fact Cresciano is just one small area in what is really and extensive bouldering location. In our 2 week trip we actually only climbed in Cresciano once and other great areas we visited were Chironico, Brione and Sonletto. All of these venues possess high quality granite in beautiful locations. "

Also a great thread at ukbouldering.com about James Pearson's flash The Ganymede Takeover....with more photos/links etc

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6898.0.html

In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) ermm.. someone covered this in a thread yesterday.

Do you want my stock reply?

UKClimbing.com is more than just a forum. We have articles, news, a database, photos, logobooks, a newsletter etc. Not everyone views the forums, some just check the news everyday or once a week. The forums are an important part of the news gathering, in fact an essential part - also important are emails straight to us, phone calls, personal interviews, direct observations and of course other websites etc

What we are trying to do with UKClimbing.com news (with some of our affliates...more on that soon) is to create a comprehensive record of climbing news that will not ony give you the latest news but will also paint a bigger picture, inform, educate and stimulate discussion and debate, both on and off-line. Our news page is becoming THE place to read and source climbing news in the UK. Sometimes we get scoops, sometimes we don't and maybe a few days after others but we are striving, under time and resource constraints, to give you news that is interesting and often goes a little further than other sources.

We have a diverse readership, from hard-core boulderers, alpinists, trad daddies and mummies, weekend warriors, rad sport dudes, Norrie Muirs, Fiends, and bumblies like myself.......all with diverse interest and various degrees of passion about climbing....we are trying to be of use to all climbers in the UK.

Mick

gingerkate 22 Feb 2007
In reply to lummox:

But we don't all read every thread. We live in a society of information overload. Cyberly wielding a big fluorescent yellow marker pen, and highlighting the interesting stuff is very useful to anyone busy.
 lummox 22 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to lummox)
> [...]
>
> Do you want my stock reply?

Did I have a choice ?
>
> Our news page is becoming THE place to read and source climbing news in the UK.

sez who ??
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> sez who ??

You will, if you look around objectively at the climbing media sources, both print and online in the UK.

cidersoak 22 Feb 2007
In reply to cornishben: cresciano is in the canton ticino..
 Glyn Jones 22 Feb 2007
In reply to lummox:
> [...]
>
> Did I have a choice ?

Don't worry your little head - Mick is just upset that I beat him to it!

That will teach him to be a part time worker and snowman builder!

hehe!
In reply to lummox: I must admit that I tend to hear about things here or on UKB long before I read a magazine article these days.
 Tobias at Home 22 Feb 2007
In reply to lummox:
> [...]
>
> Did I have a choice ?
> [...]
>
> sez who ??

of course it is. you get everything from planetfear, ukc forums AND what the weather was like on the ben last week
In reply to lummox:

56 news report so far in 2007, in both UK and World news. In addition lots of news in the forums.

UK Climbing news for February 2007.

Feb 22: Macleod Repeats an E8 and establishes a new Font 8b at 'Dumby'
Feb 21: Ground Up To Produce Competing Gogarth Definitive Guidebook.
Feb 20: Climbers' Club Range West MiniGUIDE
Feb 19: The Peak Bolt Fund
Feb 17: Gogarth Guidebook Controversy Moves to CC Website
Feb 16: Fyffe and Ashworth Climb Major Ben Nevis Winter Route
Feb 16: Andy Earl Climbs Careless Torque..Onsight of course
Feb 15: CC Gogarth Guide - Where is it? An Update
Feb 15: BMC - Never Stop Working - For You
Feb 9: North Wales Rock Now Available
Feb 8: Ben Nevis Conditions Report
Feb 5: Bangor student gets stuck in Cromlech squeeze
Feb 2: BMC Alpine Essentials Series 2007

World Climbing news for February 2007

Feb 22: A Bouldering First For James Pearson
Feb 21: Skipping Clips on Maestri's “Compressor Route”, Cerro Torre
Feb 20: Dog and Beacon Save Climbers on Mount Hood
Feb 19: American Woman, Emily Harrington Climbs 8c
Feb 15: Money and Politics and Hueco Tanks
Feb 9: Dave Macleod Climbs Another 8c+
Feb 5: Climbing Magazine's Golden Piton Awards
Feb 4: Chris McNamara Big Waller and BASE jumper
Feb 3: Lisa Rands Climbs High and Hard

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=02&year=2007

...22 reports so far in February.

And January's here (34 news reports)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=01&year=2007

Mick
 craig d 26 Feb 2007
Mick, I used to buy all the uk mags, Climbing and Grimpeur. I have now beaten the habit but am very grateful that i can still get the odd fix from UKC. Keep up the good work!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...