UKC

Welsh status ( north or south)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Anderson 18 Mar 2007
Anyone with upto date info ? How much snow in either Brecon or Snowdonia ? Like 100's of others hoping to head out at last on Monday/Tuesday before the thaw.
 dominic_s 18 Mar 2007
In reply to Neil Anderson: sweet fanny adams in snowdonia. some negligible frosty bits in cwm cneifion today. heavy hail on the way back down at three ish, but was melting after having had a pint at pen y gwyrd.... get out climbing instead and stop scratching rock climbs
 Banned User 77 18 Mar 2007
In reply to dominic_s: Agree, just ran over teh back of Moel Elio towards Waunfawr then ran over to Dinorwic and although there was snow above 500 m or so, there's sod all. I can't see routes forming in a day as there is no base at all to build on.
 dominic_s 18 Mar 2007
In reply to Neil Anderson: also... having just done the number one son act and called my mum (1000' up in the beacons) there's no snow there either (blowing a hoolie though)
OP Neil Anderson 18 Mar 2007
In reply to dominic_s: And Ian

Thanks. Looks like met office have done their usual over egged 'severe weather warning' - I was hoping that central trinity, or Parsley fern type snow gully might have something consolidated in them by Tuesday, (rather than 'scratchin rock climbs ?!') - if it does change overnight/monday a further update would be appreciated.

otherwise its the long trek to the lakes...
OP Neil Anderson 18 Mar 2007
In reply to Neil Anderson:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_warnings.html

still predicting 10cm+ on high ground overnight - fingers crossed
 Simon Caldwell 19 Mar 2007
Abocve Dinorwic it was very cold abope about 800m yesterday with solidly frozen turf. No snow at all (just lots of hail) until 3.15, when it snowed down to about 200m, before thawing rapidly. Looked to be a lot more on the Carnedds than Snowdon.
The chance of some good cover today/tomorrow. But pretty unlikely to have time to consolidate before it thaws at the end of the week. Best bet is probably some frozen turf somewhere
 JDSwain 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Neil Anderson: Idwal area was snow free yesterday, heavy hail showers and windy, about -10 with windchill. The ground is well frozen and there was some ice formation higher up, very little of it though.
 Andy Say 19 Mar 2007
Neil - you are just not going to get 'consolidated' snow in a 40 hour period. Especially if it stays cold. You may well be able to walk/scramble up a scree gully that has got a dusting of hail/snow on it but that probably isn't the 'Central Trinity' that gets a grade in the winter guide!
OP Neil Anderson 19 Mar 2007
In reply to Andy Say:

reference 'consolidation' - I both agree and disagree with your post.

I agree that conditions would suggest that there has not been the accumulation of snow as forecast to bring the snow gullies into action - a lean scree slope at best. Although some of the classic mixed ridges might be considered in winter condition ? {never mind 'snowed/rimed up rock routes (beyond my ability)} I was hoping for a winter mountaineering route on 'soloable' grade I/ II ground rather than a pitched route.

However, I disagree regarding the rate of consolidation. Snow actually starts consolidating the minute it falls, with a variety of factors at play ( such as the weight of other snow falling on top it, warming with ground contact, wind action and so forth) - the result - conditions can come in very rapidly given the right circumstances and as we all know in Wales disappear even faster.

Martin Morans 'Scotland's winter mountains' has an excellent section on the consolidation process ( but sadly is out of print I believe)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...