UKC

yosemite valley single pitch routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IOAN D 10 May 2007
wandering about the single pitch routes in the valley, things like seperate reality and stuff, are there mutch single pitch stuff around there? trad and sport maby?

many thanks
 George Fisher 10 May 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

There's no sport in the valley, all trad thankfully.

Tons of single pitch stuff and you can always absail at the first set of rings you come to.

But it would be a crime to go to Yosemite to just do single pitch climbing. There is so much amazing multipitch to do.
 Offwidth 10 May 2007
In reply to Gfunk:

Just being there is great. There are no crimes in avoiding anything just regrets.
 Adam Long 10 May 2007
In reply to IOAN D:

Valley climbers motto: Go big or go home.
In reply to Offwidth:

Actually yeah, you're right. I regret not topping out on Washington Column but getting off in the lightening storm was no crime.

OP, if you get the Supertopo Yosemite classics guide you'll find all the great lines in it.
TimS 10 May 2007
In reply to Gfunk: There's quite a few lines in the valley that are clip ups and could be considered sport routes.

The Cookie cliff is one of the most popular places for single/ short multi pitch climbs, but once you get there and see what's on offer I bet you'll want to get on the big lines.
 EricpAndrew 10 May 2007
In reply to IOAN D: there is sport and trad single pitch stuff but.........
it'd be like masturbating in a brothel
TimS 10 May 2007
In reply to EricpAndrew:
> (In reply to IOAN D) there is sport and trad single pitch stuff but.........
> it'd be like masturbating in a brothel

Ha ha I tought that described the bouldering in Yosemite? In reply I've always said its safer and cheaper
In reply to TimS:

I think the sport route are where they had bolts left over from the aid routes. No-one seriously climbs them do they?
 EricpAndrew 10 May 2007
In reply to TimS: yeah i generally used it to refer to bouldering to, but seemed appropriate...

i'd argue that the trad out there is actually safer than the bouldering, loads of really easy classics to do that you'd be very unfortunate to hurt yourself on at all.
everytime things get a tiny bit scary, there's a bolt to clip
and have you seen the hight of some of those granite boulder probs, all to easy to fall badly of them!
(getting my pedant head on!)
TimS 10 May 2007
In reply to Gfunk: Have a look through your Yosemite classics guide and see how many of the multi starred single pitch routes are clip ups.
 AndyGodber75 10 May 2007
In reply to IOAN D:
Doyle, I know everybody takes the p##s out of me for bouldering too much, but even I wouldn't have come out with that gem!!
You climbing at weekend? Saturday might be ok.
TimS 10 May 2007
In reply to EricpAndrew: I was of course only joking about the safety thing, but it's objective vs subjective safety isn't it? More likely to break you ankle bouldering, but somewhat less likely to get hit by rockfall or mess up abseiling, etc.

I spent most of my time in the valley bouldering, but some of the runouts before bolts on the routes i did made me more than a tiny bit scared

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...