UKC

What shall I feed them?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sam M 12 Jul 2007
As I have to play the 'little women' over the next few weeks I am starting to think about what to feed 'the boys'.

I am crap in the kitchen so need some good ideas!

The van has a good cooker with oven.

It has to be quick, healthy and give them lots of calories.

Thanks Rock Talkers

Sam :0)
 Glyn Jones 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: Jesus did a thing with bread and fish that seemed successful and there wouldn't be an issue with the need for a lot of storage space at the start of the challenge.
Sam M 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Thanks Glyn, but Rich does not do fish!

Sam
 Glyn Jones 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Glyn Jones)
>
> Thanks Glyn, but Rich does not do fish!
>
> Sam

I certainly hope not! He should have other things to occupy him!

Anyway, aside from Rich's sexual preferences - pasta and rice! Boil them - good energy foods!
 GarethSL 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: pizza, cannae go wrong with pizza
 Caralynh 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Pasta (with tuna/sweetcorn, or tomato and veg sauce)?
Roast chicken?
Jacket potatoes with various fillings?
Chilli con carne?
Curry and rice?
 Smitz 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: Fresh pasta, lloyd grossman sauce, fancy eurpean salami (fresh pasta takes like 4 mins to cook)

Canned veg (I use artichokes, green beans, black eyed peas, etc), canned tuna, boiled eggs, salad dressing

Roast chicken (supermarket bought) and ready-rice

I think I went camping for 3 weeks once and ate notyhing but the first two

bear in mind "wild" toilet breaks, im trying to say take into consideration "stool consistency". pasta, rice, bread, all make for pleasant poos
 Smitz 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Caralynr:
> Chilli con carne?
> Curry and rice?

bad times on the toilet dude
 Rubbishy 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Compo - it'll bring back memories

and constipation
 CJD 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

I think iirc bulghur wheat's a good thing to be scoffing, as its carbs but better carbs than stuff like white pasta.
 Glyn Jones 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: Actually - sod the hippy and heathy food - mars bars, orange squash and pork pies - they will love you for it!

Three million Scouts cannot be wrong!
 broccoligirl 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Couscous? Very easy to make...And pizza is always good too. Roast veges with feta. YUM.
 JimR 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Curry, cornish pasties, sausage rolls, chicken fajitaas,pizza, oven chips and some lasagne
In reply to Sam M:

Soss casserole & mash is very easy with an oven to hand. Onion, peppers, tin(s) of toms and the soss & herbs/spices (mixed 'erbs, paprika, chilli powder?) as the basic mix into which you can add anything else (e.g. I like brown lentils to thicken it). chuck it all in and leave it the oven an hour or so. Then you've got to peel the spuds of course

Stir fry's a remarkably quick & practical 'camp' food too if you have a wok - 5-10 minutes and one pan when done with those already-cooked noodles.

Steve
 broccoligirl 12 Jul 2007
Oh, and if you want to be uber-domestic, Ive got a WONDERFUL banana cake recipe...
 sutty 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

A trip to the s/h bookshop may get you a copy of John Hunts Everest book, which had lists of food they used to keep going.

Bacon and egg sarnies or BLT will go down well with the meat eaters and put them in a good frame of mind in the mornings.

This may come in useful.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/asp/locator/index.asp

Ask them all what they really like and make sure they get it at least once every two weeks for the feel good factor, specially if the weather is crap that day.
 Dave Murphy 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:

pasta with chopepd ham and grated carrot and a can of condensed muchroom soup ( low salt & sugar if u can get it)

eay and tasty and quite helthy and nourishing too.

red perrers stuffed with cous cous and toped off with nic eonion gravy then given 15-20mins in oven

again eays to make can have say corn or peas wit hit for veg and fun as its "in a parcel"

graeme jackson 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M: How big are 'the boys'? If they're smaller than a Border collie you can feed them to my Boa Constrictor
 Mother Simon 12 Jul 2007
In reply to graeme jackson: Whatever size we are now, you can be sure by the time we finish we will be a lot smaller! Have you seen how few Burger Kings there are on Harris!

Ideas for food that wont turn the toilet & the entire van into a no go area would be useful
Sam M 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Mother Simon:

I´ave already told you, you are not using 'my' toilet, unless you want to be the one to empty it!!! not a nice job, I made Dan do it last week in Font and he nearly passed out and I nearly died laughing at him!!

Sam :0)
 Timmd 12 Jul 2007
In reply to Sam M:Brown basmati rice is quite good,it's not as chewy as brown rice (according to somebody who's eaten brown rice) and is healthier than white rice.
Cheers
Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...